TE2 Experience

Pappy

Hi guys,i received this a while ago,but never had the time for it,this is just first step.

Finally i will be able to experience the man cave bucket :lol:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

umm yeah i was originally want to do the 3 toothed stormtrooper :DPosted Image

Trying to fix the front cap bump a bit,then 'primer',looks like there's a little need to be done on the bump before sanding the rough surfaces,notice one on the left side cap,also there are 'wrinkels'!! :huh: of the 'primer'.

Also i cut the teeth more than usual :D its not accurate if its the whole teeth but i like it

Posted ImagePosted ImageFunny i forgot to take pics when the ears were attached,i was very careful on that one this time,so i cant think of anything else

And there,i'm stuck again,it sucks when its happen :( wish i had a full week per one bucket each time i build one.

Question :D ,i want to do this for the insidePosted Image

Is it originally

1) HDPE-'peach'-grey or

2) HDPE-grey-'peach'

I rad somewhere that there were grey sprayed :unsure:

Looking good so far, keep up the good work bro.

Can´t wait to see it all done.

Enjoy the build of it.

Peace out :)

Thank you sir!! :salute:

I'm happy enough just to see your build and others,but now im experiencing myself B)

The hard part is i must parted with him for quite some time now :(

If you want to replicate the original HDPE colour, the best paint I have found so far is Platikote Warm Grey. It's an almost perfect match the Beige-Grey PP I used for one of my helmets a few years back. The red you see inside is red primer. I'm not sure if the primer today is the same shade or not so if you use it, just spray on a light mist as it was just over-spray from painting the exterior of the helmet.

Hi Paul! How are you? :lol:

Thanks a lot for the insight,i actually want to,if i finally able to do replicas,but you know i cant :P and when i checked where to buy plastikote for asia,it said UK :blink: i want to in the future for sure

I just using it to conceal the fixes on some bumps for now,just like Rocko did,and no intentions to make a chip,and why that color,it is similar but not to similar,just a precaution when i accidentally chipped it :P if its just a small chip its ok :P

That red primer is for the whole helmet?(outside)think i just add some mist inside :P and stronger towards the neck,and no gray for the inside? I forgot where i rad that

Hi Erik :D

If you need some of the plastikote I will gladly send you some ;)

From what I can gather, the original helmets had several coats of paint. You can see the red primer on some helmets that are missing the ear caps, so it stands to reason they sprayed the whole helmet, concentrating on the outside with over-spray reaching inside. I've heard the HDPE was so bad to paint that AA used a roller to apply it :blink:

From what I can gather, the original helmets had several coats of paint. You can see the red primer on some helmets that are missing the ear caps, so it stands to reason they sprayed the whole helmet, concentrating on the outside with over-spray reaching inside.

that´s my impression too. the helmets were first primed with the red/pink primer and after that the helmets were painted with the off-white color we see on screen.

maybe they were painted white first before they experienced that the white won´t last without primer.

i´ve heard the story about the roller also but i really don´t know.

at least most of the helmets seem to be spraypainted and to me they even look like the caps were scattert brushpainted.

i seem to see some spots with slight brushstrokes on the caps...

am i wrong with my impression? :(

Woow thanks again!!

roller? hmmmmm B)

Oh and some of the red got some shades of other color too,a grey-like?....someday....right now i havent got the nerve :P

Thanks again sir,if you dont mind i would love to get the paint from you if im ready :salute:

I dont plan to make chips on this helmet,and this paint i use tend to khaki-grey ish on different lightning,so its ok if i accidentally added some small chips :lol::P

I wouldn't try the roller personally. I would hazzard a guess they used all kinds of primer trying to get the paint to stick to the HDPE, so it wouldn't surprise me to see red and grey primer on the same helmet. It looks like they used regular house gloss too. The paint that's chipped away on the found helmets looks too thick to be anything else.

It's quite possible you have seen brush strokes on helmets Roger. I would imagine they tried to touch up the helmets on set or when they were recieved from AA.

yes, they did! spray paint, not necessary in rattle cans, is used since the early 30´s!

@ Paul

your right, according to what i see they used various techniques for the helmets.

i guess everything was good to just make the paint stick on the HDPE.

on the chips you can have a guess how thick the paint was applied, i also highly doubt this was done by only one paintjob.

Thank you all for the insights!! it felt good when you know something new B)

I'll do my best on this one.

Oh is this color on my helmet is fine? It looked like grey on certain lightning,or i changed it with grey? i got this enamel grey on my house,if its close enough i dont mind,because i dont made any chipped paints afterall

Posted Image

did they even have spray paint back then???? :D :D :D

They had airbrush device :D there are photos of them touching up luke's speeder,it's quite possible they do that to the helmets. If no tool around.......there always brush on the set :P

oh hehe I polished and attached the ears last night

there are some rough spots when I spraypainted it,and thinking if I papersanded it I'm affraid I'll loose some details from it,I'm happy,infact it's showing the bumps and all a little clearer :D

I should've done this before riveting the parts together though

Unpolished/freshly painted

Posted Image

Polished :P

I'll wait for the paint cure first,then touch the inside with gray :D

Hello sir! :lol: actually i was in the first place,but i'm affraid :(

But i will made this my 'primary' if its not too rigorous on the field,my trooping bucket B)

I follow almost all the mold markings to trim,and made few adjustments from there :D

• 1 month later...

WOOHOOOO its done!! :lol: all is trim without sanding

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm doing little on the red for the inside,feared it may be weird looking,but i'm adding the grey more :DPosted Image

I want to wear it along with the rest of the gear though,but is it too booble/big compared to the rest of my armor? :mellow: if it is,i'm not gonna weather it

This is the last time this armor clean,its time for duty time to get dirty!! B)

Posted Image

Looks great!! :D

The bucket does seem a little big compared to the rest of your armor. But nothing to worry about I would say.

Once you have your pauldron, pouches and pack on, It will look right!

Curious, what bucket do you normally use?

Saludos.

@Juan,after i give it much considerations,i think i'm not gonna weather and wear my bucket.......at least for now :P i dont know when i can buy another bucket :P

@Rolf sir,its been pleasure B)

@Gordon,i got a rubber handplate project back then but it looks like its going to come to a halt <_< ,theres one rubber handplate project that caught my eye on the rpf,but before that i'll wear my AP's once i attached some loop to them for applying to 501st hopefully next month :lol: WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dankuwel Grote broer! :lol:

I re arranged my PB album :D,fixed some of it

Here's latest pics! Pre-weathering. Added more ruff n' buff with rubber and more chips:lol:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

YEAH!!:DPosted ImagePosted Image