Scratch-Built Binocs

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking around here too long & thought I should start contributing.

With the better weather I've been able to start & finish some projects.

Here is a pair of binocs that I built using freakengine's tutorial.

Let me know what you guys think.

002-Copy.jpg

009.jpg

007-Copy.jpg

006.jpg

001-Copy4.jpg

:blink: WOW!!! you got some creative skills trooper.

Love how accurate you made it, the paint and weathering job are freaking cool too.

A big fat A+ from here.

Congrats :)

Nice job. Where is this tutorial? One of the links to freakengine's tutorial seems to be defunct 404 error. Please post links or post tutorial here is links are down.

Thanks for the kind words guys! It was a fun build from start to finish. It almost has me banned from the kitchen though (could be a good thing). My wife is now nervous anytime I'm looking for tupperware, she doesn't know if it's for food or if it's going to be "cut up & painted!"

I can't get freakengine's tutorial up now either, I could try to post a few photos & descriptions of the parts I used if that might be of any help.

Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of photos of some of the supplies I used to build my binocs.

The main container I used is about 8 1/2" tall, 8" wide & about 3" deep.

Posted Image

This is why I needed the toothpaste tube!

Posted Image

I realize there are some parts not in the photo, I'll try to list the parts here:

Long wooden fireplace matches, used for the 'ribs'

A small green screw cap from a lemon-shaped juice container, the centre of the dial to the left of the eye pieces

A red cap from the end of the axle of a child's wagon or ride-on-car, the red button between the eye pieces

A clam-shell blister package with square 'buttons' which hold the halves together (from a door handle set from Home Depot),for the three buttons below the eye pieces & the 'lens' on the front of the binocs

A sheet magnet, for the inside of the 'lens'

Assorted screws, to hold things together & for show

I now wish I had taken more photos during the build, if you have questions about things I'll try my best to explain.

Most importantly, I found the website partsofsw.com had great reference photos to help in my build.