Stormtroopers With Pauldron

Gordonator

Was looking at the Disney's Star Wars weekends web page just now and I can see 7 clean stormtroopers wearing pauldrons in the top pic. Some with holster and thermal det as well.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/special-events/star-wars-weekend/

I know in the comics there are TKs in pauldrons but I am a movies type of guy so I only consider what I see on screen as canon.

No offense to anyone, I too used to wear a pauldron once or twice for non canon event when I was still a TK who just joined the 501st. I guess the idea of wearing a pauldron which symbolizes rank is rather appealing and cool to me back then. ^^;

So what is your take with TKs wearing pauldron? Share your thoughts. :)

I see that a lot in pics, I guess people just want to wear it. I know with the FX kits, you would get a pauldron with your purchase. I have never worn one until I built the TD, I personally don't like them on clean TK's and as Gordonator said, you never saw a TK with them in the movies so I stayed away from it.

To be honest, it drives me nuts when I see a TK with one lol (but I don't ever say anything)

I can live with a clean TK wearing a clean white pauldron, it kinda looks cool. I always considered the orange or black pauldrons as for Sandtroopers Only! Especially the orange, it just doesn't look good unless it's on some dirty armor.

I have an FX kit and I never got a pauldron! What's up with that!

The FX kit had the option of getting a pauldron when I got my first kit a few years ago. It was like $50 extra or something, and I opted not to do it because I had heard (funny to think back on how much I thought I knew and how little I really did...) that really only sandtroopers should wear them.

Of course I think that's the case.

As far as I know there aren't many references at all, even in the comics, for white TKs with a pauldron. Everything that "looks" like a white TK and has a pauldron is actually either a HWT or some other variation. What I mean by "white TK" here is simply the default ANH / ESB / ROTJ configuration of a TK. Something that would get you "elite" status on the FISD... then slapping a pauldron on with that. Doesn't work. Shouldn't work. I'm with p-fury... it sort of aggravates me when I see it now.

Of course I know that people don't know — as I once did not know and surely do not know something else now — so I led it slide.

But if they you ASK... I'll tell ya. ;)

i often seen TK with pauldrons, and to be honest i don't like it a lot.

first reason is like Plastic Fury said, we never seen it in movies, and the public probably don't understood it...

in these time we can see many pauldrons on many troopers (TK, TB...) i think it is not a good thing, because everyone is a bit of everything and anything, and for me the interest of costuming is to do like in the movies, not better but just the same as accurate possible.

if things like that always tolerated, it probably have problems in few years, just imagine 80% of TK with a pauldron for exemple... :blink:

in my point of view pauldrons are only for TD!

I really don't care either way.

I know that only the Sandies should have them, but I don't care if someone adds one to their Clean TK.

Same goes with the BFG. I see those all of the time too.

As long as it's not a high-profile gig we are doing, it doesn't bother me.

Here's a pic from my last event

It's full of clean TKs with pauldrons and/or BFGs

Posted Image

I'm on the far left

I think it depends on the context. If you're attending a canon / official event (eg: Rose parade because LFL invited you, trooping at the white house, an opening for a new Clone Wars movie, etc. I think canon is the way to go.

If you're attending a local kids school event for charity or something, I don't think the kids would care either way. Most people that aren't SW fans wouldn't even notice the difference. If you're appearing at an event to make kids happy, I don't think it matters. If you're attending a canon event, I say go screen accurate.

*Note: in those Disney events, aren't those legion members in the parade? I figured it's actors / stunt guys in the performances, but I thought the parades they invite legion members, correct?

Totally agree Terry... except for one part. It seems the KIDS are usually the ones that call me on stuff. They care more than some of us do sometimes. :D

There was a kindergartner the other day who asked about my TK belt buckle and this was the conversation:

Him: "That's a cool belt buckle Mr. Green."

Me: "Thanks."

Him: "That's just a stormtrooper, right?"

Me: "Yes... but actually I'm a sandtrooper."

Him: "Oh, you're one of the troopers deployed to Tatooine then."

HIS words exactly!! B)

I was the same way when I was a kid.

I really think that SWWs picture is an older one too. In the last couple years I have been going the rules were made stricter on what you could wear to the event. There are some clean TDs but they had TD parts just no dirt. But I dont remember seeing THAT many pauldron'd TKs at least 2007-2009 I dont remember much about 2006's SWWs since I was so busy hanging out with people to pay attention lol

Personally I don't believe clean TK's should have pauldrons AT ALL. They are not seen as such in any of the canonical films and part of the whole point of being a clean TK is to be identical.

I have very clear opinions on this matter. I just keep them for the correct places to let them out.

I really dont understand why clean TKs use pauldrons or pouches or whatever. Just the same I cant understand why would anyone want an armor that is not at least aiming to be very similar to what was seen on screen. For me, the only thing that really counts are the movies. I am not an EU guy... even the prequels are just part of the landscape but not the main thing.

So, whenever I see a TK with pauldron I cant help but think it is all wrong. But I dont think saying it out loud would help anyone. If asked, Ill try and point in the right direction. Thats it.

For a long time in my garrison, it seemed that most people were more interested in having lots of costumes of a poor quality and accuracy than a having a few (or one) top standard costume. It can often be seen people in armor or costume with lack of accuracy and personal interpretion. Not only EU characters, but even made up ones... why???? I have no idea. This is not cosplay, this is the 501st Legion for Papaltines sake!! ;)

Then, slowly we started to change that by making armor parties and discussing why should one armor be that way and not that other... We have a few persons working deeply in one character and helping others to develope and improve their owns (TDs, Vader, Royal Guards, Emperor and Clones). So now, even though there are lots of members with generic or poorly built armors, most of us are working hard to achieve a screen used look. It is still a long way there, but we are working on that.

So, about TKs with pauldrons: its just wrong!! HEHEHE ;)

But hey, thats just me!

After all, we are here to learn and improve our armor and props!

Saludos.

Yeah, it's not a BIG deal really.

Just kind of makes me roll my eyes... :rolleyes:

To clarify what I myself said... B)

(not that I think anyone misunderstood me... but...)

I think they're wrong. I think they look stupid and awful and people should aspire to be more screen accurate. By "it's not a BIG deal" means what you all are saying pretty much... I'm not going to "confront" someone over it, nor make a big deal about it to them in public. On here. Sure. Stop wearing pauldrons TKs!! <_<

Personally I don't believe clean TK's should have pauldrons AT ALL. They are not seen as such in any of the canonical films and part of the whole point of being a clean TK is to be identical.

To clarify what I myself said... B)

(not that I think anyone misunderstood me... but...)

I think they're wrong. I think they look stupid and awful and people should aspire to be more screen accurate. By "it's not a BIG deal" means what you all are saying pretty much... I'm not going to "confront" someone over it, nor make a big deal about it to them in public. On here. Sure. Stop wearing pauldrons TKs!! <_<

I have to agree... I don't like seeing them on clean TK's... It looks awful... If you want to wear a pauldron, be a Sandy or a Clone...

I was waiting for that pic to pop up, I LOVE that pic and how they set it up (the only two in the pic without pauldrons are the two TD's lol).

I was careful in my original response since I was the first to reply but I do feel pretty strongly about it, as I said before I only speak about it to a few squad mates. I have never nor would I ever, just walk up and confront somebody about it. I think it looks terrible on anything BUT a TD, in the original trilogy, you only saw them on TD's, so it was written, so it shall be lol. It's gotten bad for me, to the point now that when I even see a pic of a TK with a pauldron I cringe haha.

Like Paul said, TK's are all supposed to look the same, just like the scenes on the Death Star, just rows and rows of guys in white and I like that. This was one of the reasons I decided to build a sandy, I love all the accessories you get to rock.

I had this discussion with a guy a while back and he said he could care less on it, even when we saw a biker scout with one, which blew my mind. I am a live and let live kind of guy but as was said earlier, if you come up and ask me, then you will get the honest truth on how I feel about it.

*Note: in those Disney events, aren't those legion members in the parade? I figured it's actors / stunt guys in the performances, but I thought the parades they invite legion members, correct?

I would believe the 501st was there previous years and will be attending this year's one? Correct me if I am wrong?

So that bets the question, is Star Wars Weekends a canon event?

...So that bets the question, is Star Wars Weekends a canon event?

The only more cannon events I can imagine would be the Rose Parade... and maybe George Lucas marring Princes Leia or something. I mean... Thats supposed to be the Empire at its Best!! How can that not be Cannon???

Anyway... these moments I realize I just spend most of my 501st time around guys who are as obsessed with TD perfection as me, or even more. But outside detachments most members are happy to have an average armor and go out and troop. Thats fine with me. It is that it is easy to forget that not everyone want to know and replicate every single detail in a costume...

hehehe... Im a geek! But I love this hobby!

Saludos.

Putting a pauldron on a TK is like putting a pauldron on a Biker Scout, or even an AT-AT driver. Why not put some belt pouches on Vader? They're just not part of the costume.

There is the HWT anyway - if someone want's to be different for a TK there are lots of great paths:

1) Go Expert Infantry with your costume.

2) Go to a more accurate armor than FX, e.g. TM or TE2

3) Go Heavy Weapons trooper and hump that pack and BFG too

4) Go sandtrooper

Again, to me the point of the TK's is the uniformity. Items #1 & #2 above are great if you want a true TK but want to be a bit different from your buddies. #3 is great if you're someone who loves accessories but wants to keep your clean TK.

#4 of course is for working troopers :)