AP Armor... Need owners points of view...

iconoclasta_88

Over my Garrison, I was recently asked about AP armor. Is it easy-ish to put together, is it comfortable, what size is it, is it flexible... etc etc...

I have not had any experience at all with AP armor, but heard it is a cool set... but would like to give a bit more feedback to this guy, and what better info than insights from actual owners of a AP set...

So, if anyone could throw some light here, it would be much appreciated.

Thx a lot.

SAludos

Over my Garrison, I was recently asked about AP armor. Is it easy-ish to put together, is it comfortable, what size is it, is it flexible... etc etc...

I have not had any experience at all with AP armor, but heard it is a cool set... but would like to give a bit more feedback to this guy, and what better info than insights from actual owners of a AP set...

So, if anyone could throw some light here, it would be much appreciated.

Thx a lot.

SAludos

AP armor is screen accurate size, really durable, it feels comfortable to me. It's not the easiest to put together, though it's not to bad... The pieces do not match up and either need to be held whilst gluing or heated and molded to fit. (I used the former)

I enjoy mine.

Agree with above...I'm 5'10" fits well..durable, looks and feel good, some pieces did not line up well had to make simple modifications, this was my first kit so not sure how it is compared to others as far as being easy to assemble.

Yes the helmet is smaller I think than original, but I'm happy with it over all.

Actually this is true for any TE derived armor : AP, TE, TE2, ATA, CAP-W etc. All are from the same base molds and all will be equally difficult to build for the reasons described. HIPS armor also requires painting, which can be a turn-off for some. OTOH, HIPS can certainly be easier to trim.

I've not seen TM in person so can't say how it compares vs. a set that is designed to mate up easily like FX/RT vs. TE derived, but I'm sure Paul can comment on his own kit directly.

I've seen FX fit guys 5'5" and barely over 100lbs, and TE armor be fitted to guys 6'4" 230lbs. Yes, some are more amenable to different body sizes, but the suit is only a part of the choice of what to buy.

YMMV, as always...

Thx...

Great info and insight so far!

Here is a more specific question.

This guy is very motivated to buy/build an ANH armor as accurate as possible. But he has no prior experience with props, armor, plastic or even models... He said he is very very interested in only getting ANH armor and accurate accesories.

My first instinct was to let him know that putting together ANH armor is not a walk in the park. But then though, hey, WTH! If he is motivated and wants to do it, why should I stop him. So I only adviced him about advantages and disadvantages of ANH armor vs FX lite armor...

So, with this background, should I recomend him to get AP armor (or maybe another ANH armor of his likes), or should I encourage him to get FX lite armor.

I started with an FX kit and the slowly modifierd it to a more accurate version and then got a TE2 kit. So for me the logic way is that. But Im sure lots of ppl have got an ANH armor since the first time...

Thx for all your help!

Saludos.

If he wants the *most accurate* then TM is the way to go for sure. He should understand there is no such thing as a free lunch though. I've personally paid people to build armor for me (especially clones) and while they come out 90% done, there is always a small amount of fitting that still needs to be completed by oneself. Also TM can be very expensive depending on the exchange rate too.

If TM is out of reach, then pretty much any TE derived armor should be fine (AP, TE2, ATA, etc.). Since they are all reverse engineered form the same ROTJ tour suite and all have been modified to some degree since, I'm not sure to what degree one wants to disputes the accuracy differences, and in my mind things like seller reputation, material, price, etc. become more of the deciding factors.

Again, if money is no option you simply have to advise TM.

THX bro... I think I got what I should do considering what he wants and not only my own experience:

1. Suggest going for TM armor.

2. If money, availability is not on his side, suggest him to go for a TE derived armor...

All this research, including this post, has been very illustrative for me. We dont have much options for armor in Mexico, and I have always liked TE, TE2 armor (this last one being my fav), and admired in many many ways TM armor... so now I that had a deeper look into other ANH armor, it gives me a way broader background.

Thx everyone for your answers!

Saludos..

1st has to be TM

2nd TE2

3rd AP

my 2 cents spent..............

I agree TM is def first choice..and one day i will try and manage that!

i think TE2 and AP tie for second... you get more duarability out of the AP as its ABS, but more detail from the TE2. i think they balance out as far as accuracy and quality. I have an AP for my TK and i honestly love it. I have a TE2 on the way for my TD in progress :)

It is much smaller than the original ANH armour and helmets.

Do you have size comparison photos you can post showing side by side or some sort of measurement reference or discussion link? In the interest of dispensing with misinformation, of course. It would be nice to see this verified.

I agree about the TE and AP , but isn't FX no more and there is suppose to be a newer more accurate armor called AM?

By more I mean more accurate then FX of coarse.

Yup, you betcha! Here is FISD's first EIB applicant using AM - it's pretty sweet :)

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10128

Unlike FX in the past, you can pretty much go EIB out of the box now with AM.

Posted Image

The TM is one of the best out there, probably the best for your buck at the moment. But my "personal" best choice would be a combined set of TM armor with a TE2 or a CAP-west( former CAP) helmet...and maybe, just maybe when DL comes with his new armor kit it will take 1st place...

One more thing, I have had an ATA helmet and a whole AP armor but sizewise they are the same, at least the helmets. So I hope that the ATA armor isn't as small as the AP. But I have had a lot of fun with my AP and enjoyed it a lot.

THX everybody for the interest and info. This is turning into a much more interesting topic than I though...

Great!!

Saludos

ey Hermano, that's what we are here for isn't it..to make it interesting.;)

I have got both TK, and TD AP suit, and like it a lot.

Pretty accurate, nice gloss ABS.

Fair price etc.

Here a few pics ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I´m 182cm, and the AP fit my perfectly.

Its sure among the best suits, but to be honest i think TE2 and TM is on the top list to get, and then maybe AP next.

Cheers :)

Well my two cents. I have an AP set and a TE2 set. I am one of those guys who wanted so badly for a TM set but couldnt afford the transfer rate of funds to get it here. I am also one who is very anal and particular to accuracy :D so I got ahold of our TM brother and ordered the correct parts for both sets of my current armor and WALLLAAA much more screen accurate. New forearms, biceps, shoulder bells for the AP, and Shins for both.

I am very pleased now, but would still like a complete set of TM. B)

• 3 years later...

I am wondering if I should bail on my AP right now and go TM, but wow that would be a lot of money sunk.

If there still is a chance to bail on your order then go for it and then go for an RS.

But AP is still a nice armor to have and to start with.