I modeled this... radio

zenix

I apologize for the slow progress. Things have been rather busy on the home front lately :)

There's a couple of light scratches that I am smoothing out on the upper right square and middle rectangles. Also, I'm smoothing out the ridges on the lines radiating out in the speaker grill. I might ask Todd to order a new set of knobs as the ridges on the small ones need more definition. We'll see if I can clean them up.

Posted Image

And monstrously huge image if you dare:

http://tk386.com/remotepix/sandtrooper/zenix_sonix_radio_faceplate_primered.jpg

I'll keep you posted as I continue along.

Charlie

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize for the slow progress. Things have been rather busy on the home front lately :)

There's a couple of light scratches that I am smoothing out on the upper right square and middle rectangles. Also, I'm smoothing out the ridges on the lines radiating out in the speaker grill. I might ask Todd to order a new set of knobs as the ridges on the small ones need more definition. We'll see if I can clean them up.

Posted Image

And monstrously huge image if you dare:

http://tk386.com/remotepix/sandtrooper/zenix_sonix_radio_faceplate_primered.jpg

I'll keep you posted as I continue along.

Charlie

This looks fantastic. Great Job!! Keep us posted, Thanks

Hey Crashmann,

could you please give me the exact measurements of the faceplate, cause I have some boxes to build and that's why I want to have everything ready before your faceplate releases. :)

The faceplate is 6.5" wide by 8.3" tall, but don't build your boxes just yet. With the new details from the high resolution photo, we may rework the faceplate.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

The faceplate is 6.5" wide by 8.3" tall, but don't build your boxes just yet. With the new details from the high resolution photo, we may rework the faceplate.

Charlie

Hey bro, I'm sure I speak for a few others when I say, roll with what you got!!!

It's looks awsome the way it is, no need to analize it more LOL :D

I'm starting my new pack build soon Charlie and I am not going to finish it until it's got one of these bad boys on it! My official request for deployment will just have to wait until I get my hands on this AMAZING radio! :D

Thank you all very much for your support of this project, and I am sorry of the continuing wait. We had a decision to make when the new picture was made available of the found Sonix radio - Do we continue with what we have produced, knowing that a better version would be in development? Or, do we go back and modify the CAD drawing to add in new details, but make people wait another month?

I had to look at it from a customer point of view. Yes, it would be great to get a beautiful looking radio, but to hand over my hard earned money to buy something that would be replaced with an improved version less than 6 months down the road just would not be right.

My name is not GL, and I'm not going to sell you the same thing 5 times :)

- Is there anyone that is not going to buy Star Wars on Blu-Ray when it's released? I'll be adding the Blu-Ray box set to my collection, right next to my VHS Platinum Trilogy, individual Star Wars DVD's, and snuggled up against the Collector's Edition box set DVD's :rolleyes:

So, Todd and I are going to work on the CAD drawing a little more, and by the end of May, we will have the radio ready to go!

Thanks again for your patience :duim:

Charlie

I am more than willing to wait another month (or what it takes) to get the new accurate faceplate. I already have your previous faceplate and im very happy with it. So I am in no rush when knowing I will be able to get a better one if I wait.

:D

Thx for doing this! and for keeping us updated.

Saludos

I think I am not alone when I say you made the right decision Charlie. I appreciate your efferts on this projecct and I am more than willing to wait for the finished product. I know it will be AMAZING and totally worth the wait! :duim:

I'll be adding the Blu-Ray box set to my collection, right next to my VHS Platinum Trilogy, individual Star Wars DVD's, and snuggled up against the Collector's Edition box set DVD's :rolleyes:

Me, too. I also have three versions of it on laserdisc.

We had a very good session last night. First we converted the CAD drawing to use metric for the units of measure - it's a lot easier to use millipedes than fractions of an inch :)

We worked on the details in the upper boxes - adding the ring around the dial, the depression for the big knob, the ring around the slide switches, and we moved the dimples in the corners. Todd also separated the radial lines from the inner circle of the speaker grill.

Our next session will focus on the rest of the speaker grill. There's a lot of trim line detail to adjust in the four panels :blink:

Thanks again for your patience!

Charlie

Do you have one of these?!?

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the updated model

I've just aligned the four parts, the three knobs on the faceplate, so you can see the larger disc on the right knob, which is part of the silicon mold casting procedure.

Posted Image

Almost done. There is a few more things to do, and then the part will be ready