My TE2 TD

FIVE

I thought I'd start a separate thread for the actual TE2 armor / sandtrooper build. Separate, that is, from my TE2 bucket build thread... which is now, for all intents and purposes, complete. This thread will contain all my armor pics as well as the process of making everything, helmet included, dirty.

So... to catch up... here is my completed TE2 helmet next to my modded MR CE.

Posted Image

I've already assembled and painted all the TE2 armor. Just ready to do a few final touch ups and fixes and then strap it together and make it dirty! Here are some pictures of the assembly. You'll notice I'm using rivets underneath the "finishing strips." This makes the armor much stronger (I think) and lets me put in shims in the few places (like the left bicep) that I needed them.

As always you can see more pictures on my web site.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's some pics of my armor being painted. If you look at the last pic of all the armor laid out you'll notice I need to fix the "ammo belt" on the left thigh. I forgot to round off the top and "center" it. Easy fix though. :)

I'm only using 2 coats on the armor. Since this is, obviously, going to be a TD it only needs to be shiny enough so people can see it "was" shiny. And... as you can see... 2 coats is shiny enough.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay, did my first full on fitting today! I am very close to weathering time… I still have a few straps to add and small adjustments to make, but over all it’s looking great I think!

You can really see the difference between the screen-accurate TE2 and less accurate FX armor when you see it in person. Celeste said this made me look like an “action figure.” The TE2 is just really cool looking… very “finished” and “correct.” Even to an untrained eye I think. While the FX, while okay, is just sort of… well… okay I guess.

Anyone got any tips on shortening the thighs (at this point)? <_<

They're actually just a SMIDGE too long in the back... so I might shave a bit off there so they don't "bump" my leg. But, honestly, I COULD keep them as-is. The "problem" is that this armor is a lot harder to put on than my other. I've riveted the sides of the ab and kidney, which I love because of the "solid" feeling you get wearing it. But, that means I put that part on first. Then the thighs, then my boots, then my shins! haha. It's a "trick." B)

Like I said, it's nothing I HAVE to fix... I can totally live with it looking great if it means it takes me a few more minutes to put on. But... if anyone knows a way to trim the (tops probably) of the thighs, that'd be great!

Of course I don't want to lose the nice "ledge"... so yeah, I'll probably leave it as is. :D

Anyway... here are my 2 "test fit" pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Test fit #2. Just about everything is done now. Had to fix a couple of things, but not much… I am, basically, ready to weather it! I was standing kind of funny because my helmet was caught on the lip of my pauldron. I figured out what was going on after these pics. All is good now. You can see how the left calf piece has a bigger gap than the right. I will fill this in with elastic, Velcro, and probably “black-out” fabric like I did on my FX kit.

The last picture shows how I took the rivets out of the sides and tightened the armor even more. I could put it all the way together, but I like to leave a little room just for comfort. I had way too much room though before because I also like to feel “snug.” Now it’s perfect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here’s my chest and back-plate weathered… which is a good example of why stormtroopers don’t wear short sleeved green t-shirts under their armor. I actually thought some of these pics I took with my iPhone in the mirror in my shed turned out pretty durn cool!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks everybody!

Great weathering. I love the crud extruding out of the mouth vents. It immediately suggests that the mouth does something, that it has a practical function. Nice detail!

Yeah... that's what I always wanted to do on a TD... makes it look like "breath" and "moisture" come out of there or something. Also gives it a real ominous look I think — like someone else said too! B)

• 9 months later...

i think that looks awesome mate!!!!! :) i went heavier with the weathering on my td as well!!!!,i have always been told "less is more" with weathering,but i wanted td5996 to look like he'd been on tattooine for years!!! B)

great work noel!

As with all your stuff Nol........I hate it, think it sucks, and you would be better off giving it to me as a gift - just my 2 cents worth. PM me for my shipping address (a brother can dream!)

Seriously though, This thread has inspired me to get the paints out again and go even dirtier. Top job mate.

Smally.