How to act like a Sandy

Ph1l2007

I am planning on attending a local con soon as my first "troop" and I have spent months getting together my armor. I put a whole lot of time and money putting this costume together, and several people have told me how great they think it is. Now the task ahead of me is preparing to actually "play the part".

So I'm wondering, what kinds of things do you do / say specifically to act like a trooper? What are some good lines to use during common situations? For instance, when people ask if they can take a picture of me, I am thinking of saying something like: "You're not affiliated with the rebellion are you?" ;) So give me some phrases please! :D

And I'm sorry if this topic has been raised before - I'm kind of new :/ Any and all tips would be appreciated. the more detailed the better!

I am planning on attending a local con soon as my first "troop" and I have spent months getting together my armor. I put a whole lot of time and money putting this costume together, and several people have told me how great they think it is. Now the task ahead of me is preparing to actually "play the part".

So I'm wondering, what kinds of things do you do / say specifically to act like a trooper? What are some good lines to use during common situations? For instance, when people ask if they can take a picture of me, I am thinking of saying something like: "You're not affiliated with the rebellion are you?" ;) So give me some phrases please! :D

And I'm sorry if this topic has been raised before - I'm kind of new :/ Any and all tips would be appreciated. the more detailed the better!

Athority is the key word, always keeping order, and the line you came up with is funny lol.... Ask them about seeing droids to break the ice. but man just have fun thats the main thing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there bro...

This is a very good topic. IMO this is one of the mayor differences between 501st troopers and the rest of the costumed people in cons and all... Being cool, polite, friendly and keeping in character makes fans have a real SW experience when meeting the 501st.

So here are a few ideas and stuff I do:

-Pretend to be one character and try to impersonate it all the time.

-Go around asking people for two droids (maybe aske them for a gold one and a short blue one), they will understand the reference.

-Ask ppl to "let me see your identifications" and "how long have you had this droids" pointing to kids, trash cans, toys, etc.

-"Search" ppl for rebel related stuff and pretend to put them under arrest or something

-If possible, walk around/patrol with fellow TDs and in some kind of organized drill... one could be the leader and the others can follow.

-Interact with ppl willing to interact, do not force ppl if they dont want to play along.

-Never take out your helmet if kids are looking at you, playing with you, or asking for pictures. You can rest in some place away from main halls and corridors. And watch your language when off character but in armor.

-Expect ppl to ask for pictures all the time. If you are tired, tell the politely that you need to rest, but will be back soon or to catch some other troopers.

-Troop with an aide or spotter, this will help you get around in busy areas and will prevent kids and teenagers to pick on you.

-Watch out for small kids when they approach to you, cause you might loose sight of them if too close.

-Never lend ppl your gear, BFG, helmet and stuff unless you can afford them breaking it by accident, also, if you lend your gun once for a picture for example, expect other ppl to ask for it too.

-Be polite and friendly.

-Remmeber you are part of a fan club with responsabilities and an image to keep. So, understand and remember answers for stuff like: Where did you buy your armor? (remember we dont sell them as a group), What is the 501st? and How can I joing you?

-Sometimes kids will ask for autographs, I just sign my TD number and some Empire related quote and 501st legion.

-Also, parents will sometimes ask you to tell kids to do their homework, eat vegetables and similar stuff... just play along, parents and kids will appreciate it.

-When taking pictures, ppl lots of times say stuff like "smile" or "say cheese", to what you can answer stuff like "Im smiling" or "Imperial Cheese"... and you can also tell them: "please take another one, I had my eyes closed", just have fun.

-Expect ppl to see you as part of the show, the con, or security. Ppl will tend to go to TKs and TDs if in trouble. e.g.: when a kid gets lost.

And most important of all: Have fun and enjoy being a sandtrooper and part of the 501st Legion... Trooping for the first time is just awesome!!! And it keeps getting better!!

Hope it helps!

Have fun!!

Hey there bro...

This is a very good topic. IMO this is one of the mayor differences between 501st troopers and the rest of the costumed people in cons and all... Being cool, polite, friendly and keeping in character makes fans have a real SW experience when meeting the 501st.

So here are a few ideas and stuff I do:

-Pretend to be one character and try to impersonate it all the time.

-Go around asking people for two droids (maybe aske them for a gold one and a short blue one), they will understand the reference.

-Ask ppl to "let me see your identifications" and "how long have you had this droids" pointing to kids, trash cans, toys, etc.

-"Search" ppl for rebel related stuff and pretend to put them under arrest or something

-If possible, walk around/patrol with fellow TDs and in some kind of organized drill... one could be the leader and the others can follow.

-Interact with ppl willing to interact, do not force ppl if they dont want to play along.

-Never take out your helmet if kids are looking at you, playing with you, or asking for pictures. You can rest in some place away from main halls and corridors. And watch your language when off character but in armor.

-Expect ppl to ask for pictures all the time. If you are tired, tell the politely that you need to rest, but will be back soon or to catch some other troopers.

-Troop with an aide or spotter, this will help you get around in busy areas and will prevent kids and teenagers to pick on you.

-Watch out for small kids when they approach to you, cause you might loose sight of them if too close.

-Never lend ppl your gear, BFG, helmet and stuff unless you can afford them breaking it by accident, also, if you lend your gun once for a picture for example, expect other ppl to ask for it too.

-Be polite and friendly.

-Remmeber you are part of a fan club with responsabilities and an image to keep. So, understand and remember answers for stuff like: Where did you buy your armor? (remember we dont sell them as a group), What is the 501st? and How can I joing you?

-Sometimes kids will ask for autographs, I just sign my TD number and some Empire related quote and 501st legion.

-Also, parents will sometimes ask you to tell kids to do their homework, eat vegetables and similar stuff... just play along, parents and kids will appreciate it.

-When taking pictures, ppl lots of times say stuff like "smile" or "say cheese", to what you can answer stuff like "Im smiling" or "Imperial Cheese"... and you can also tell them: "please take another one, I had my eyes closed", just have fun.

-Expect ppl to see you as part of the show, the con, or security. Ppl will tend to go to TKs and TDs if in trouble. e.g.: when a kid gets lost.

And most important of all: Have fun and enjoy being a sandtrooper and part of the 501st Legion... Trooping for the first time is just awesome!!! And it keeps getting better!!

Hope it helps!

Have fun!!

whether its realised or not, posts like that probably help alot more than just the OP.

As a very green TD hopeful, I find posts about "how to be a TD/TK" invaluable. thank you sir.

Athority is the key word, always keeping order, and the line you came up with is funny lol.... Ask them about seeing droids to break the ice. but man just have fun thats the main thing

and dont re-cast!

i have the fx buttons with my romfx so i use them allot to start with ie let me see you identefation if i get a good responce i then start talking to them asking have they seen any droids? or we are looking for the stolen data plans and try and have a look though there bags :lol: . if they dont respond well the i hit the move along sound button and let them walk on by with a wave on throu motion but just relax and have fun watch other troopers see what they do maybe if theres 2 or more of you form a line so the public cant get pasted you and then interagate them :D

• 3 weeks later...

My only opinion is make sure you bend your rules to fit the crowd.

I act very friendly when I'm near little kids. Wave, peek a boo, etc. Scaring them just so I can be in character won't do anyone any good.

Older kids, ya, I act more like a security guard.

When dealing with children, you're better off breaking the ice with a wave and waiting for them to come to you. You can offer an outstretched hand, but be patient. If you bum rush them you'll frighten them. I actually had a child psychologist come up to me and complement me on this technique at a recent event.

Watch your posture. You want to stand straight and tall like a soldier and never lean. Find a comfortable stance. If you're going to walk around, survey the crowd like a police officer.

For some reason lots of people seem to enjoy having their pics taken as if they were under arrest. They also like having blasters pointed at them. I often bust people who think I don't notice them taking a pic by pointing my BFG in their direction.

I also agree with a lot of what's been already stated. "Can I see your identification, sir (or ma'am)?" is gold as is asking how long someone's had their droid(s) while indicating their children. I also refer to everyone as "sir" or "ma'am".

... I often bust people who think I don't notice them taking a pic by pointing my BFG in their direction.

This is lots of fun... in many situations you can have the eyes of the helmet ponting in some direction while you are actually looking another way. So if you suddenly turn towards ppl who were looking at you but think you are not, they will react in a lot of different many times funny ways.

Also, I dont know why ppl sometimes asume you cant see (or hear) them so take this in consideration when iteracting with them.

Saludos