Trooping w/o Backpack

Ph1l2007

Well, I am nearly finished with my TM TD outfit, and I have almost item sorted out. With the exception of weathering (which I am going to have done soon) my costume will meet every requirement of the MEPD except for the backpack. Taking to account all my other expenses and time constraints, I estimate that it may be a few more months before I get a backpack together, but I really want to get out there and start doing some weekend trooping or something! :( I know you can be approved as a 501st member as a "Sandtrooper" without the backpack, but I know you can't be approved as a MEPD member until you get the back pack. So if I don't get a backpack until later, does this mean I cannot go trooping with any of you until I do?

Let me know, thanks.

Phil

You can go trooping whenever you want. Garrisons are not that "anal" about such things. Heck, you'll notice a lot of craptacular costumes when you start trooping. At most events, we're happy to have every head possible, regardless if you're missing something like a backpack or gun. It's all about having fun.

Also, when I see you later this month, I'm sure I have some extra parts laying around I can hook you up with. I can also get some more parts from Charlie in the interim if you're interested. It will require a lot of work on your part if you're up for it.

I've been a packless TD for 2 years. (almost out of that though, lol, thanks to Seth)

But I believe you are in MEPD detachment as long as you are a TD right? Just Deployed status requires extra effort...

Though there are a couple screen seen unpacked guys :P But I would imagine you would be fine trooping wise, you just wont be "deployed". But hey, at least you're dirty! :)

...very true...for most events having a costume that is close will suffice...just have fun :)

...I think some people have lost that part of costuming and forget that it is suppose to be fun...not who has what...or super screen accurate that...those achievements definitely should be applauded for the effort that it takes...and never used to look down on your fellow trooper...

...the only time you may find super strict standards are with LFL gigs...

...again as Mike said "have fun" :)

Cant get 501st approval over at the UK Garrison without a back pack to be a TD <_<

Strange how you can in other 501st garrisons :unsure:

Then the CRL for the TD needs to be published NOW as the Legion does not have the pack as a TD requirement, only MEPD... granted this was only the recommendation but still having the MEPD say one thing, a Garrison saying another and the Legion nothing, doesn't seem right in my book...

http://www.mepd.net/require/

Then the CRL for the TD needs to be published NOW as the MEPD does not have the pack as a TD requirement, only MEPD... granted this was only the recommendation but still having the MEPD say one thing, a Garrison saying another and the Legion nothing, doesn't seem right in my book...

Hahaha - they'll never be pubished! Heck, they've been in play for over a year...

Then the CRL for the TD needs to be published NOW as the Legion does not have the pack as a TD requirement, only MEPD... granted this was only the recommendation but still having the MEPD say one thing, a Garrison saying another and the Legion nothing, doesn't seem right in my book...

its kinda like being Elite in the FISD though to be Deployed MEPD. Sorta.

I think the UKG is over stepping a little to require a pack for TD status when it isnt 501st requirements ... but then again, it goes back to what someone else said a post or two back about going overboard. UKG does a lot of things differently than most Garrisons.

I'll still argue to this day there are TDs on screen with no pack :P LOL

I think it's cool that the UKG has higher standards but it presents an issue in other areas. For instance what if a guy joins garrison A using the minimal guidelines. He moves to garrison B's territory that has higher standards. They can't really deny him the ability to troop or be part of their garrison can they?

I love trooping with my backpack but it is more of a commitment. Living in NYC and not having a car, the backpack is a pain to take along with a tote, helmet bag and BFG. I pretty much save the backpack for special occasions when I know there is plenty of room, like Comic-con or an outdoor event.

Put it this way, 99% of the public won't even notice that I'm missing the backpack. I mostly wear it for myself and to set myself apart from the TK's even more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll still argue to this day there are TDs on screen with no pack :P LOL

There most certainly are TD's without backpacks seen as they head into Docking Bay 94. The sergeant who speaks to the Garundan is not wearing a backpack:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the trooper bringing up the rear doesn't even have a pauldron!!!

Posted Image

For 501st membership, you're stuck with the requirements enforced by your Garrison Membership Liaison Officer. If they are a real stickler for detail, then they must provide the requirements (in writing). If they are more lenient, then consider yourself lucky, and get out there with the other troopers! If they are not responsive, then escalate to the Garrison Commanding Officer.

Achieving "Deployed" status at MEPD means that you have gone the extra mile to be fully screen accurate, or as we like to say in the Old Line Garrison "Full Donkey!" (not half assed!) This is separate from being accepted into the 501st as a sandtrooper (and as a previous post stated, you must be 501st approved before you can be "Deployed").

Every time I troop an event, I am always reminded of why I chose to go down the Star Wars costuming path. "Whoa, cool!" "Awesome!" "You guys are great!" Who doesn't like receiving compliments like those?!? After an event, I am pumped and energized to refine my costumes even more. Does the public care about the number of rectangles on your left forearm versus your right? No! They are excited to see a "real" stormtrooper live, and in person!

I hope you get approved for 501st membership, and I'll send you a note regarding the backpack kit in a PM.

Charlie

i feel that most of the public remember seeing troopers with packs on so thats what i wear and pround too ! plus most of the public why my stormtrooper is so dirty :blink: the look on there faces when you tell them its a hard planet to live on with all those sandstorms blasting at you is pricless but they still think you are a stormtrooper