Wheathering my pouches and pauldrons, what do you think?

This weekend I tried and weathered my Stolla Wien replica pouches and pauldron.

To do this, I kindof followed some ideas posted in the forum and also I improvised on the way.

First I put the pouches in very hot water for about 5 minutes. Then bent them in any posibble way, rolling up and down the flaps and all for about 10 minutes.

I then let them dry. The leather in one pouch became super soft and on the other became stiff. Weird. But both of them got a very cool texture. The one with the thicker leather got some kind of white stuff all over one of the pockets. It looks cool I think.

Then I used the multilayer paint technique.

After they dried, I kick them around the yard over the cement floor for a while, and then used the hairspray/fullers earth technique, but instead of fullers earth I just used some dirt from my backyard.

This is how the looked before...

Posted Image

And this is how they look now...

Posted Image

And for the pauldron, I just did the paintjob and hairspray and dirt. This is how it came out...

Posted Image

What do you think?

Saludos

Thanks for all your comments, and pappy, thx for your help.

I was kind of doubtful at first, but at the end they came out quiet good I think. I like them a lot. Now Im thinking of redoing my armor weathering... I dont know if ill do it anyway.

Saludos...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply but I think that looks AWESOME! I just got my pouches in from Sandtrooper.org and they look great...just too new and shiny! LOL. I think I'll give your techinque a whirl on them and see how they turn out.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Please share your results and maybe any idea to improve the process and final weathering.

I was just linking to this thread on another and realized I had never given my little "warning" on weathering these pouches...

Use hot water... do NOT use HOT water! :blink:

The water should be "warm" to "hot"... but HOT water... like boiling or just pre-boiling will shrink the leather immensely and make it almost "brittle."

But... that's it.

Other than that one little caveat this is THE way to weather these bad boys!

Thanks so much iconoclasta_88! B)

I was just linking to this thread on another and realized I had never given my little "warning" on weathering these pouches...

Use hot water... do NOT use HOT water! :blink:

The water should be "warm" to "hot"... but HOT water... like boiling or just pre-boiling will shrink the leather immensely and make it almost "brittle."

But... that's it.

Other than that one little caveat this is THE way to weather these bad boys!

Thanks so much iconoclasta_88! B)

Oh yeah!!

THX Nol... its very often that I forget that "hot water" in english mean almost boiling water, rather than warm like in spanish...

Thanks bro...

Saludos.

• 3 months later...

Just to share with everyone a little but very important mod I did to my MP40 leather pouches this weekend...

I cut off the flaps in the shape of screen used pouches. It was not difficult at all, but I adds a lot of presence to them. So, no further description, jut a picture...

post-1761-127108575767_thumb.jpg

post-1761-127108576556_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Saludos.

Thx a lot Rolf... :D I was looking forward for your input here...

This are not sith armor, though... this are leather pouches made by a real army accesory maker. They were made by special request by a shop that makes pouches, gaiters and other stuff for the Mexican Army and the police forces...

Cool stuff is I am trying to have this guy or a similar shop to make new accurate pouches *wink wink*... Im sending you a PM in a minute. Still no big advance in that front.

Saludos.

Thx a lot Rolf... :D I was looking forward for your input here...

This are not sith armor, though... this are leather pouches made by a real army accesory maker. They were made by special request by a shop that makes pouches, gaiters and other stuff for the Mexican Army and the police forces...

Cool stuff is I am trying to have this guy or a similar shop to make new accurate pouches *wink wink*... Im sending you a PM in a minute. Still no big advance in that front.

Saludos.

OOohh i see now bro :D .

I was not sure, if this was your new project.

Or the sith armor pouch modify, from your first post whit the pouch pics in :unsure::lol: .

Harder to see whit the weathering on etc.

A member making a new run of accurate pouches, i think it deserve a fresh topic.

But way too cool bro, a big congrats from here.

I know you have a few makers in mind to try them out, i and i guess many more can´t wait to see your pouches coming up asap :)

OOohh i see now bro :D .

I was not sure, if this was your new project.

Or the sith armor pouch modify, from your first post whit the pouch pics in :unsure::lol: .

Harder to see whit the weathering on etc.

A member making a new run of accurate pouches, i think it deserve a fresh topic.

But way too cool bro, a big congrats from here.

I know you have a few makers in mind to try them out, i and i guess many more can´t wait to see your pouches coming up asap :)

HEHEHE... well bro,

This is still not the new project. These are the same pouches I've had for 3 years or so. These are not Sith Armor pouches, but made by some workshop in Mexico City by special request from another trooper and sold to me. This are very nice pouches and way better than sith armor I think, but still not the new ones I am working on at the moment.

Just to give everyone interested a little teaser, I'm currently trying to have new replica MP40 leather pouches made. This I want to be made as close to the ones on screen as possible. I've been consulting Rolf with some details like measurements, and will be asking for input to him and some other troopers on the way. So far, I have already been turned down by a maker because the work was to detailed for him to make it the way I wanted. Looking for someone else to do them (have 2 candidates), but still nothing is clear.

Whenever I have the prototypes or some real pouches, I will post in a new topic.

Still very early in this project but I hope we can have new accurate pouches made.

:)

Saludos

Roger that ;)

Still a good looking pouch, i can´t wait to see your new pouch project take shape asap.

We need a good seller, for accurate leather hip/shoulder ANH pouches, and i´sure you will be the one bro :)

• 2 weeks later...