How do you make the canvas shoulder straps?

I think the straps should be about 2" wide by about 8" long (someone step in and correct me if I'm wrong). Canvas is the most accurate material to use.

Making them from canvas is very simple if you have access to a sewing machine. You can hand sew them, but it's a pain. Here's how I did it:

You need to cut two pieces of canvas for each strap and leave about 1/4" seam allowance on each side. That means you'll have four 2 1/2" by 8 1/2" pieces. You may also want to include interfacing to make the straps stiffer but that's up to you.

For each strap, you'll stack the pieces that you have and sew them together using a simple stitch. Just sew a straight line down each of three of the sides leaving one of the ends (the short sides) open. Once it's sewn, just turn the strap inside out and iron it flat. Next turn the open end into itself (kinda hard to explain but you probably get the picture) and sew it across the end.

For each strap, you'll then want to sew velcro at each end. You want to use the hook part on the strap so you don't have it rubbing against your undersuit. Some people sew it onto one of the sides before assembling the strap but I think it holds better if you sew it through both layers.

Try on your armor and pencil in the best position, then cut your velcro to fit and sew it in place. Don't use the sticky-back velcro or it will gunk up your sewing needle.

Put a little of the loop velcro on the inside of your armor's shoulders and you're done. BTW, this is basically the same way you'd make a canvas belt, just with different measurements and velcro placement of course.

I hope this helps!

Thank you !

your instructions are great and I can make a pattern from that. I also found some strips of velcro that isn't sticky and wont gunk up my needle on my machine.

Will show some pics when I get done if my camera will co-operate...

Short Trooper (Diana)

I make my shoulder straps using 2 inch elastic as the base and then cover each side using canvas. They are obviously 2 inches wide and about 7-8 inches long which is plenty to then use snaps to attatch the front and rear plate together and then the bells and biceps are held with a piece of 1 inch elastic coming from the shoulder strap.

Here are some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey just to throw in an idea,

I used snaps and small bit of velcro. The snaps seemed to hold up better, and didnt have the tendency to stick or gradually wear out.

I have pics to show how I did mine. I also added a snap in between the canvas, for the shoulder bell. This one is hidden and reinforced with strapping material. I used plastic welder to attach the other half of the snap to the back and front chest piece.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Interesting. I've heard lots of people say they like the snaps better than velcro, but with industrial velcro I've never had a wardrobe malfunction ever. Yet, I've seen plenty of snapped-on pieces go flying when bumped. I suppose it comes down to the quality of both. Bad velcro or bad snaps - both will end in tears.

Yeah, on both the tears part, the snaps and the velcro . I have used both, and do have both on these straps that I use. I have switched most of my velcro over though to the industrial type snaps used on tonneau covers. Purchased from Home Depot. I have found my snaps are a little easier on and off, and doesnt ever have a tendency to stick to my black under garment. I also know that the snaps will attach in the same place everytime. This way if someone is helping me get something on, they dont have a piece or part out of line with the other side or sticking out somewhere it doesnt need to be. Also if I flex any, I used to get a crackling noise every once in a while, and now dont get any movement.

Oh, I do use small pieces of industrial velcro as well to just enhance and strengthen the connection points, and have had no problems even running.

Jay