Thanks MEPD!!!

Guest yakcam

Guest yakcam

Hey all,

I've been a member here for a while, but I usually just lurk as I can't contribute anything you guys don't already know. However, because of your knowledge, and my lurking <!-- s8) --><!-- s8) --> I managed to put together a half decent DLT-19, which is a hard thing to do in such an anti firearm society like we have in Australia.

Anyway, here she is....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd also like to thank Braks Buddy for www.looksirdroids.com what a wealth of information!

Thanks for your time

Cheers,

Kraig

Guest yakcam

WOW, thanks for all of your kind comments, I very much appreciate it.

To get it to look like it does, I used a method I've used many times before and it's super easy to do. To get the gun bluing and wear effect, just paint it in gunmetal grey and black out the vent holes with matt black.....

Posted Image

Then do several dust coats using matt black. For those not familiar with dust coating, what you're trying to do is not paint it directly as such, but paint it with a mist of paint by standing back maybe 2 or 3 feet so you get minute specks of paint on the item. It does take a while and multiple coast, not to mention, a huge waste of paint, but the effect is worth it. Just dust, let dry, dust, let dry and repeat till your happy with how it looks. Also, because the black isn't going on with much pressure, it will wear naturally in the first few days of handling it but after that the black dust will have created a good bond and should be pretty durable after that.

For the wood butt, I know Bakerlite is more accurate, but the donor for this has wood, so I kind of did a hybrid. I used a flat brown paint and when it dried I got a paintbrush and using water based black airbrush paint went over it trying to get it into all the nicks, scratches and grain. Before the paint dried, I quickly rubbed it off with a paper towel being careful not to absorb the paint in the grooves. Then did a light dust with matt black again.

For the box and disk greeblies, I used a silver enamel for a normal (flow) coat to get good coverage, then a couple of dusts with silver, once that was dry, I used matt black acrylic and did a normal flow coat over that. The silver dust coats will help to promote chipping of the black, not to mention the use of different paint types, so it will chip similar to how it would on aluminium.

From start to finish, it only took a couple of days.

That's about it, my apologies for rambling on, but I hope my methods may be of use to someone.

Cheers,

Kraig