Detailed Pack Questions

td7603

question: i havnt seen one yet, but i know someone out there must have a version of the screen acurate pack, but in way higher detail. ie: non vancuformed parts, more more like the smooth-on version, nice corners depth, etc.

so... post up a pic of your pack here, and lets see!

question: i havnt seen one yet, but i know someone out there must have a version of the screen acurate pack, but in way higher detail. ie: non vancuformed parts, more more like the smooth-on version, nice corners depth, etc.

so... post up a pic of your pack here, and lets see!

No idea what you're asking for.

The most accurate "kit" to date is the one pioneered by myself, Seth and the Crashmann. The only other "kit" that never saw large production was the Sci-fire back pack that was based off the Marmit back pack design. Because it was essentially based off a toy, it's not entirely accurate and a bit over-sized.

Keep in mind that the originals backpacks were comprised of the following real-world items.

- Boyscout backpack frame

- plastic seed trays

- Cistern siphon

- possible toy AM/FM radio with military-esque design

- Tupperware Stow-N-Go

ok.

i guess what im asking for, is ther ea pack that "looks" liek it might actually "work" some stuff ive seen while it looks exactly like the movie, looks fake.

so...whos got stuff that is highly detailed? lets use the clone belts as an example. the vacuform belts lack definition, but the silicon casts look awesome.

ok.

i guess what im asking for, is ther ea pack that "looks" liek it might actually "work" some stuff ive seen while it looks exactly like the movie, looks fake.

so...whos got stuff that is highly detailed? lets use the clone belts as an example. the vacuform belts lack definition, but the silicon casts look awesome.

That makes sense but here's some more things to consider. While the way to make a Cistern Syphon using the SB/MH kit involves multiple vac-formed pieces and Tupperware Hamburger stackers, the original cistern is not much more detailed. Even modern ones. The original radio would certainly be more detailed than a vac-formed one, but no one has ever found the original. The detail on planter seed trays is also probably no more detailed than the vac-formed ones, odds are, the originals were vac-formed as well. You could make these things slush-cast in resin, but I raise the question, why? Not only would it be more labor intensive, and expensive, but vastly heavier. Weight is a serious consideration when building a back pack. The last thing you want is something cast in thick resin adding unnecessary weight.

The Sci-fire guys made some of the parts out of hyperfirm rubber, but not only were they expensive, but they were basic shapes that we've already found cheaper and equally accurate alternatives to.

I spent over two years researching and building probably some of the best Sandtrooper back packs to date, so I don't of any better in terms of quality, detail and accuracy. Remember, the originals were cobbled together with literally junk the prop guys found in a junk yard. I'm not making that up. Everything was a real-world found item, including vintage Tupperware. When applicable, we're using the same found items.

Take a look...

http://gallery.mac.com/mikeharrison#100129

well of course. i agree. just thinking slightly outside the box. i ahve a space pack, and i knwo its okay for TD status, but not for Deployed.

but in leu of that, just wondering if a pack that "looks" functional as apposed to screen accurate. but than again, it woudl be heavy, and youd have to pulverize some real readios to do it, etc....

BTW, I have some resin cast radio face plates. The detail is as sharp as it can get. But I won't use it because of the weight issue and they're really kept as back-up molds for vac-forming.

well of course. i agree. just thinking slightly outside the box. i ahve a space pack, and i knwo its okay for TD status, but not for Deployed.

but in leu of that, just wondering if a pack that "looks" functional as apposed to screen accurate. but than again, it woudl be heavy, and youd have to pulverize some real readios to do it, etc....

I made a prototype pack once that opened up with hinges. I was planning to outfit the inside with all kind of pockets, water bottles, first aid kit and a general futuristic look to it. I even tried to rig up a Camel pack bladder and run it up in my helmet to no avail. Stuff like that can be done and I'd encourage some folks to try the same. But again, always consider the weight.

yeah, lamdien, i think his name is turned a space pack into a wet bar, but heard it was heavy as ****.

i checked otu your packs, and while i liek the overall quality, what happened to the the one with the vacuum filter on the upper left?

...what happened to the the one with the vacuum filter on the upper left?

You mean the one with the tan/fanned filter? That was actually a car air filter that I cut in half, bent into a half-circle and affixed. No where near as accurate as the original. That was one of my first prototype packs that I sold to Phil, who then sold it to someone else here.

I wish I could get a pack kit from you guys but right now its a no go. I have my pitcher lid, some tubing and I am going to make the frame out of PVC. Still looking for those **** hamburger stackers at the goodwill. When I didnt need them they were everywhere. I have never seen the Jello cups in stores. I will have to save my pennies. Doing it right takes alot of time.

I wish I could get a pack kit from you guys but right now its a no go. I have my pitcher lid, some tubing and I am going to make the frame out of PVC. Still looking for those **** hamburger stackers at the goodwill. When I didnt need them they were everywhere. I have never seen the Jello cups in stores. I will have to save my pennies. Doing it right takes alot of time.

I think I have a few extra sets of Hamburger stackers. Let me know if you need them.