MEPD Web Site updates, changes - you make the call!

TD-1536

Troops,

I'd personally like to update the front-end web site, and have actually been doing so behind the scenes. But, before I get too involved and make more work for myself than necessary, I'd like to know what YOU would like to see in the web site.

1. Do you currently find it useful at all?

2. Does the Forum provide everything you're looking for and quickly?

3. Do you think there needs to be tutorial and resource info clearly listed on the web site, not unlike my personal web site http://www.tk1536.com

4. Is there something not on my web site that should be exclusively on the MEPD web site?

5. Were you aware of http://www.looksirdroids.com? Has that served as a useful resource, one that does not need to be duplicated under the MEPD.net domain?

Ideally, I'd love to have everything under one roof, one domain. All the content from Looksirdroids.com, my web site and the culminated info gained in this forum. Problem is, it's reinventing the wheel, and it's an enormous amount of work. All input is welcomed.

1. The front page got me hooked enough to register the forum, so i would say it is useful!

2. Yes, "view new posts" still works! =)

3. Yes! Perhaps if it was possible, we should make a forum section dedicated to hosting tutorials, and perhaps store copies of images from the tutorials on the same server as the forums, so that one can still see the images when the original host deletes the pictures. It is very annoying when you finally find a tutorial but only face red X`s/ "file not found". Then we could link from the requirements page to the correct tutorials/resource.

4. Not sure.

5. Looksirdroids is a great page with lots of good info and pictures, but it would perhaps be more convenient to host it on mepd as well?

Just suggestions, i will post more if i come up with anything else.

Troops,

I'd personally like to update the front-end web site, and have actually been doing so behind the scenes. But, before I get too involved and make more work for myself than necessary, I'd like to know what YOU would like to see in the web site.

3. Do you think there needs to be tutorial and resource info clearly listed on the web site, not unlike my personal web site http://www.tk1536.com

4. Is there something not on my web site that should be exclusively on the MEPD web site?

5. Were you aware of http://www.looksirdroids.com? Has that served as a useful resource, one that does not need to be duplicated under the MEPD.net domain?

Ideally, I'd love to have everything under one roof, one domain. All the content from Looksirdroids.com, my web site and the culminated info gained in this forum. Problem is, it's reinventing the wheel, and it's an enormous amount of work. All input is welcomed.

1. I think the forum work 100%.

2. I think so, there are all the topics a sand trooper need (new coming and veteran).

3. It could be nice whit a topic only whit sand trooper sits, to look in to for ref.

And talk about.

Like yours Mike and BB´s.

4. If it can fit in both ways, i think it will be more then fine.

5. Most of us old times know BB´s site, but like i say in number 3 it could be good whit it in here on the board as well to talk about etc.

By the way, i love the look of the site.

Only one thing i wanna chance.

The special edition troops on the forum site, should be the real ANH troops.

No SE troops on mepd, if you ask me.

Last word, love to the best trooper site in the world.

Keep the good work up bro´s .

yeah, that has bothered me, too. I'll probably get around to changing that shortly.

ok here we go

1)yes it is very useful and has been since i first came here.

2)yes it does.

3)yes i do.That would help alot i think.

4)i agree with TD-252.

5)i think it would be great to host it here as well.

Thank you Mike

I would like to see us upgrade the "board" to what everyone else seems to be using. Like FISD and clonetroopers and SCG. I like seeing "todays active topics". The gallery is nice too.

I guess this board works pretty good for now too.

yeah, that has bothered me, too. I'll probably get around to changing that shortly.

Thanks Mike

I would like to see us upgrade the "board" to what everyone else seems to be using. Like FISD and clonetroopers and SCG. I like seeing "todays active topics". The gallery is nice too.

We have that too, on my garrison forum.

It works more then great, its really a good tool and give a quick over look check .

This has been discussed. The primary issue would be migrating the MySQL database over to whatever Invision board uses. For now, our current php board works just fine, but we're certainly thinking about making the change.

My $.02 as a user

Yes. Just as useful today as it was when I first went sandy in 2005. Heck, that's why I'm still around.

Pretty much, but then I'm not starting from the beginning, which I think is more relevant.

Only for those items that are sandtrooper specific. FISD has everything already on the basic armor, and continues to add new info all the time. With a larger base, I'd think it's simpler to reference the threads there on armor basics, and stick to what makes our costume unique.

Nothing I can think of.

I haven't been there in a long time. The issue I have with static websites is that they are great as a start, but are not valuable in asking questions. Also, static websites tend to show you only one way to do something, and as I quickly learned with FISD is that there is always a new trick to be revealed.

Yup, but still worth doing. I had the same issue when I started FISD as I wanted all the content to be home grown, so found myself writing many of the first tutorials until we had others contributing.

Lastly, updating to a new forum. Trying to migrate our content to Invision is something I have on my plate to investigate. Stay tuned!

To me, no. Maybe others not in the group might.

The forums here do, yes.

I don't know about your own site, but yes, I think there needs to be something. Too many of the same questions and problems.

I haven't been to your site, so I couldn't say.

I have not seen that one, either. I guess I figure things out for myself, more than having someone show me how they did it.

Overall, just a section for "how to" and stuff might be good. Not that will ensure people will read it before asking the same questions.

I would only say that the buttons needs to be redone in the forum

They might be improved with better graphics, if is needed I can help

Otherwise... the forum has all the info we need, maybe a full costume guide tutorial hosted here will help a lot

I have the forums bookmarked on my homepage so I never visit the front end. I suppose it'd be cooler if it were a blog-style page (think Wordpress) with detachment updates and news from the command staff alongside more permanent link pages and the like. It might also be nice to see some event pics there as well.

I've always liked the functionality of this forum, but I'm with Rolf. Let's ditch those SE troopers up top. They bug the **** out of me.

I think you might tread a fine line when it comes to putting some of the info that's on your site on an official 501st detachment site, especially in regards to armor makers. I certainly appreciated your site as a resource when I was getting my gear together, but most of that info is from a very personal POV and might be best kept separate. That way we can send people there, but your opinions won't be misconstrued as the official detachment stance.

None that I can think of.

Yes, I've been there and found some of the material useful. I think it helps to get different perspectives on sandtrooper costumes and props, but like your site, Mike, I feel this represents Braks Buddy's POV on sandys. If resources are made a part of the main MEPD site, I think it should just be objective knowledge regarding the original suits and props...the things we KNOW instead of reviews or opinions. We can get plenty of those on the forums (along with hearty debate over them as well) and through outside sites.

1) I'd like a "Mark All Forums Read" button on the forum index page

2) I'd like to see the emoticons of the black Posted Image and white Posted Image pauldron troopers added to the library (maybe grey too?)

3) I'd like the amount of characters used in the 'signatures' longer, along with larger size files for avatars

Yes I think it's OK. I will say this Mike. There is loads of redundant files and folders in the admin website. When I do Deployment updates I see loads of junk folders that we no longer use. ie: the old MEPD web site. Seth has a lot of junk files in too. (Sorry Seth for calling them junk).

Yes, I've been there and found some of the material useful. I think it helps to get different perspectives on sandtrooper costumes and props, but like your site, Mike, I feel this represents Braks Buddy's POV on sandys. If resources are made a part of the main MEPD site, I think it should just be objective knowledge regarding the original suits and props...the things we KNOW instead of reviews or opinions. We can get plenty of those on the forums (along with hearty debate over them as well) and through outside sites.

Very good points. Thanks!

Yes I think it's OK. I will say this Mike. There is loads of redundant files and folders in the admin website. When I do Deployment updates I see loads of junk folders that we no longer use. ie: the old MEPD web site. Seth has a lot of junk files in too. (Sorry Seth for calling them junk).

That will be taken care of in time. I am aware of it.

1) I'd like a "Mark All Forums Read" button on the forum index page

2) I'd like to see the emoticons of the black Posted Image and white Posted Image pauldron troopers added to the library (maybe grey too?)

3) I'd like the amount of characters used in the 'signatures' longer, along with larger size files for avatars

1. I'll look into that.

2. I can add those, no problem.

3. I bumped it up to 300 characters from 255. I also bumped the avatar size up to 120 x 120.