A question regarding acceptance

Vadersf15t

I have to say for me it's not the "inaccuracies" of the FX armor that drive me nuts ('cause I don't think it's that bad), it's the fact that it just can't be made to look proportional on many folks compared to them starting with a kit more their size, and even worse that there are a lot of folks who don't really try.

The same can be said for trying to squeeze someone my size into more accurate armor. I'm not overweight, but I'm a big guy (6-3, 220) so it just looks silly on me. Even shimmed it's no longer proportionally correct.

I'd actually love to see a more accurate design in a slightly larger size - everything proportional, but just a little bigger. I don't expect to see that happening, though.

Yeap, that's the problem. Armor is really not designed for bigger folks.

A large guy wearing a TE suit, even though we may want to be accurate, will not LOOK accurate at all because he's just too big... lots of black space, etc. What I like to refer to as "Fat guy in a little coat."

Posted Image

You can have the most accurate armor in the world, but if you're physically "not the part", then it doesn't matter. This is why FX armor will always be acceptable.

This is why FX armor will always be acceptable.

Unless of course FX updates the rest of his molds like he's doing the helmet, or someone with ANH armor scans and up-sizes. Both could happen some day, but until then...we'll have the armor with us for sure.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys!

First post!

I've recently picked up an MR CE lid and am considering getting into this hobby / money pit. I've been thinking about FX armor. I'm 6'1 and 175 pounds. I've also heard that there may be issues with the FX armor. However, at around $330 without a helmet, the price is attractive.

If anyone would be so kind as to help enlighten me on the pros and cons of FX armor for someone my size and build - and alternatives, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

Huzz

Pros:

1) It's the least expensive

Cons:

1) It's the least accurate

RT is actually a bigger kit than the FX, comes pre-trimmed as well, and both are sculpted to be easy to put together. The only real advantage of the FX is cost. You should also be able to get "headless" RT kits.

Currently RT's production is down but if you're willing to wait a bit, he should be back.

Thanks very much Daetrin!

I've seen some discussion about some armor not looking to be correctly proportioned on some folks. What would you recommend for me to avoid that? I'm 6'1, 175 pounds. I have a fairly slim build, not what you would call skinny as a rake - but I'm not a blocky guy either.

Is there anywhere I could find out what is inaccurate with the FX armor?

On the RT armor, I assume that since you've recommended it, its probably much more accurate than FX. Would it fit a guy like me? About how much more would that cost me?

Cheers and thanks for the info!

Huzz <--so far, that's the extent of my costume!

ive had most of the builds of armor.

GF/GT, FX, AP, TE.

id say for slim guys like me go with the smaller AP/TE kits. i still have my GF/GT stuff, and i love it, but the newer stuff, fits me tighter and feels better overall. plsu it doesn make me look too bulky.

Pros:

1) It's the least expensive

Cons:

1) It's the least accurate

RT is actually a bigger kit than the FX, comes pre-trimmed as well, and both are sculpted to be easy to put together. The only real advantage of the FX is cost. You should also be able to get "headless" RT kits.

Currently RT's production is down but if you're willing to wait a bit, he should be back.

i just noticed this 1 how much bigger is the RT compared with the fx?

also i assume you mean just the armor and not the bucket.

I love both my TE and FX armor. I've enjoyed the FX helmet when I wear my TK just for the room, you can fit your family in there. But I can understand that it's not accurate at all. The armor (suit) itself is durable and I really like the way it fits. Do we have any new news on the FX Helmet re-sculpt? Is this still going to happen?

Thanks for the info guys!

But is that all you have to say on the matter? Surely there is more that could be added here.

For a guy like me, 6'1 and 175 pounds, what armor do you think would look "right" on me? 40 inch chest, 33 inch waist, 34 inch leg.

Cheers!

Huzz

Pretty much any armor can be made to fit you. The only problems you'd have on AP/TE2 are in the shins, though you'll have pretty much the same issue with any armor.

Check out my FX/TE2 comparison pix below (I'm 6'0" 180lbs)

Posted Image

They are the older FX thighs circa 2001, narrower and more contoured than the current ones. Not sure when he introduced the new ones - 2003/4?

Which is too bad, because for a guy like me the current thighs are massive and would take a lot of work to get to look as good as the originals.

Thanks!!

TD7603 - I already have the Master Replicas UK exclusive helmet, which I think is the "smaller stunt helmet" you refer to.

Daetrin - if your FX armor is the set on the left with the pauldron, it looks great to my untrained eye.

What problem could I expect with the shins of AP/TE2 armor? Or any armor, as you say?

Huzz

Just that they will look a little short on you as all. If you look at screen caps there's much less black showing.

Until someone makes a new set of shin molds that is.

I see!!

The shins would be "a bit short". That problem appears to the same extent in both of the pictures that you posted - there's a lot of black between the bottom of the thigh and the top of the shin.

That may be worse on me - when I buy a pair of pants, I get 33 waist and a 34 leg. I think my overall height is more due to long legs than the rest of me. So, I may have even more black showing than you!

Have you or anyone else ever explored adding a section to the shins to lengthen them to suit?

Thanks!

Sounds like the legs of the FX armor are intended for someone with shorter but much more muscular legs.

Ah well - no point in pursuing FX if its going to look like garbage on me.

What about the RT that someone mentioned above?

And thanks for the info!

Huzz

Doods - up above TD7603 recommended the AP/TE kits and noted that "for slim guys like me go with the smaller AP/TE kits". That is sounding like what I should do.

Where can I find info on the AP/TE stuff - such as price, what you get, accuracy of the product, how hard is it to build?

Remember, in my best Sgt Schultz voice, about Trooper armor - "I know nothing!!"