A New Source For Armor? Museum Replicas . . .

ArmChair Trooper

Just found out about this at Rebel Scum:

January 28, 2008

"New Agreements Begin This Month for Collectible Replica Clothing and Armor

Fans and collectors will find new lines of collectibles from Museum Replicas and their new licensing division Windlass Studios in 2008; it was announced today by Museum Replicas. Lucas Licensing’s STAR WARS replica clothing and armor licensee will assume the design and production of the high-end, collectible ensembles and full sets of the iconic armor including stormtrooper and bounty hunter armor. . . . ."

http://www.windlassstudios.com/t-land-starwars.aspx

They make some very bold claims like "Sandtrooper and CloneTrooper armor."

O RLY?

As I've said on a few other forums, I have serious reservations that these suits of armor will be anything note worthy. Given this companies current offerings, I can only surmise they have no clue what they're talking about or what they're getting into. Their 300 replica props look like *** and are incorrect. Why didn't they work with the original molds or sculpts with those props!?

Anyone - and any company - that makes a claim of mass producing screen accurate Clonetrooper armor, is either incredibly ignorant, or looking to make an extremely expensive item that very few can afford.

Rubies has as yet to be shown that it's up to 501st quality. As has been brought up, just because it looks correct doesn't mean you can troop with it.

I've never handled a GINO or HDPE TE repro but I understand from those that have that while they look better than what most 501st wear, they are not suitable for trooping and are really geared for the collector/display piece.

It could very well be that the Rubies is sufficient for the casual costumer, but is just not up to par for the 501st, just like their Vader.

Remember we're not the only costuming group, we're the preferred

As for the Museum Replicas, from the info it will be a limited run with a COA. Again, it may be 501st worthy but how many are they really going to produce, and can they do it at a price point that is cheap enough to make people with access to "garage armor" buy it?

If the armor is truly as I have seen, there will be a lot of excited people dressing in armor, and most of those people will hate it. The armor gets heavy, pinches, doesn't fit correctly or ride right (unless you shape it to your own body), you can't see well, sit, or move well.... Could there even be lawsuits because of trips, falls, bruising, etc?