Have you tried using REAL SAND?

JohnQTK5122

I should be weathering my armor in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not fond of paint - especially trying to make it look like sand.

I've considered using the Woodland Scenics Earth Color Liquid Pigments and Fuller's earth, and I will probably order them tonight so I have them whether I need them or not, but after looking at this guy:

http://dgasser.com/Sandtrooper/

I bought some play sand to use for highlights like he did.

BUT I'm wondering - has anyone tried just using sand as sand and forgetting about the paint?

Couldn't you brush on some Elmer's glue or something, throw a light player of sand on it, then seal it with Hairspray or something?

Anyone with actual experience doing this, please let me know how it went.

disclaimer - the only thing I put on armor is polish .

I've used "sand" on literally thousands of scenic model bases and displays. F

First things first you don't want to use play sand or any other sand. Remember back to grade school, glass is made of sand, therefore regular sand does not glue well, and if you have to add paint or ink to tint it, it won't stick.

The model world uses scenic sand, which is actually finely crushed rock. You may want to use a few screens to sort out the particles because large ones would not naturally stick to armor. When you glue it, water down some white glue (Elmers) and add your sand. When it is completely dry you can paint or tone it as needed. Then seal it with a light coat of very watered down white glue.

Hope this helps.

I used the BraksBuddy tutorial and then used a light covering of dust off my back porch. Since I live in the desert and the **** stuff is everywhere, I figured it could be useful for a change. I applied it with hairspray. I love the look but have to re-apply it about once a year as it does wear off.

Ironically, when we were doing a photo shoot at the Imperial Dunes on the California/Arizona border, the wind and blowing sand actually sandblasted most of the weathering off of my suit. I guess in reality, sandies would be almost as white as TK's.....strange.

PS My Banner was one of the shots from that shoot.

Steve

Thanks! by "scenic sand" do you mean Talus (see link), or is Scenic Sand even finer than that?

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/P ... ange_high=

Thanks again!

That is really coarse. Try the hobby store first. If they carry Games Workshop sand it's nice to use:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/stor ... Nav=300810

If they have old stock, until recently it came in bags and cost half as much.

You can use a sand texture gel medium. Look for it at your art supply store. You could color it with acrylic paints and you'd achieve the texture AND the color of your choice. I've used it before (not on armor though) and it usually adheres very well.

• 1 month later...

i ahve also used real sand in the past. mud as well. if it came off, id just add more later. ive kinda gone more "paint now, than sand" "sandy and itchy"

I used the play sand and hairspray to finish off the armor I just did......the most fun part of it was that I dressed my boy up in it first then doused him! We had some laughs and the stuff stayed on prety well even after a good 8 hours troop!

• 1 month later...

I used Brak's tutorial to get the detailed areas (the cracks and corners and such), then I used dust from my back porch and hairspray for the final details. Since I live in the desert, its the real deal.

Funny thing though, when some guys from our garrison and Art from TDH went to the Imperial Dunes (Imperial County California) for a photo shoot, the wind created a sand-blasting effect and actually cleaned our armor back to white. My boots were the dirtiest part of my suit and now they are almost back to clean TK status.

It kind of makes you think that the "actual" sandtroopers would have been pretty clean too (except for their filthy brownish underarmor)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think that the armor what TD have still be quite dirty, because when you troop a lot, it will stay in all small openings. SO the dirt will partly clean the armor but (especially when it's a reddish colour) will colour the armor. But it will clour where it stays.

Also the harsh suns will have a bad effect on the white colour..So it will colour oddly

I wheathed my helmet partly with paint and partly with crushed reddish rock. Also I made some real marks if the helmet has been really sandblasted with sand and fine pebbles.

post-5-1210698468.jpg

I have real sand on my backpack i got from the sandbox at my local park....... then come to find a week later the stray cats use it for the their toilet hence the nick name TD-Stinky

I never really thought it was sand, I always figured it was crud from being in a crappy dirty place, and regulations being ignored because you are at the a$$ end of the empire. That, or you have way more to do than polish your armor like the guys on the Death Star

The photos in which the weathering is being applied, look like paint or ink to me.