FX Armor to get a facelift in the New Year

Tyranus

I just wanted to let everyone know that there is some exciting news for FX armor wearers and those who may be looking to purchase FX gear.

FX Armor will be undergoing a bit of a facelift in 2008.

Work is underway with a sculptor who is creating a new helmet for the FX Armor kit. It's going to be quite a bit smaller, pretty close to the original film size which is quite small, but seems to be what people want.

The original helmet will probably be discontinued as we will be using the new ones instead. There will be way fewer parts and they'll be simpler to build.

It won't be ready for some time, but we'll see what we can work out when the time comes.

And remember, an FX helmet will fetch probably enough on Ebay to get a replacement anyway.

OK, I'll be the oddball of the group and say that I'll be sad to see the FX helmets go. Yes they're big - all the better to keep my fan, batteries, amp, speaker, liners, etc. It was proportioned to the armor. Now with the smaller helmets, it might look odd (like you have a tiny head on a massive body).

I have a very big head, too, and have a hard time imagining my face squished inside anything smaller, but I look at the comparison photos and keep wishing my FX helmet was more like the movie helmets.

The "better" ones, though, seem to be either too expensive or too hard to find or both. So I hope the new FX armor stays reasonably priced like it is now.

I'm considering my current armor "practice" and I'd like to start fresh someday. After comparing mine, which I bought used, and my friend's, which he bought new at the same time, I think the FX armor has already undergone some minor but nice improvements over the years. It's good to hear there are more in store!

I, for one, can't wait to see what they come out with. While I do love my armor, I would eventually like a smaller, more accurate bucket. And hopefully they are reasonable enough that I can afford to sell my current FX one and not have to come up with too much more cash............bummer is going to be trying to get the weathering to match...............

• 1 month later...

FX Armor will be undergoing a bit of a facelift in 2008.

Work is underway with a sculptor who is creating a new helmet for the FX Armor kit. It's going to be quite a bit smaller, pretty close to the original film size which is quite small, but seems to be what people want.

The original helmet will probably be discontinued as we will be using the new ones instead. There will be way fewer parts and they'll be simpler to build.

Exciting news indeed. Any idea whether the new 2008 FX Helmet is going to be the "Hero" or "Stunt" version? If they are reducing the helmet size to match the original film size, I wonder if they are going the giving the "squarish" looking Helmet dome some brand new reshaping.

I don't want to step on anyones toes over here , but this is why I chose an AP in the 1st place..

But It is good that the FX is going in that direction too

And let's be honest, FX AP, TE, TE2. The prices start at expensive and end at almost not payable for the most of us.

Keep it up bro's!

Actually I think there's been quite the closure in pricing lately. Even if you take an FX lite and add in a helmet, it's not much more to jump up to a different kind of suit.

FX should be chosen for reasons other than pricing.

...yeah - like anyone who weighs over 180lbs ( or 215), or is built like a Lowland Mountain Gorilla

You forget CMANavy. What was he - 6'4" 240lbs??? - and he was able to make a TE suit work for him and still look good.

I've compared dimensions for my TE2 and FX and some RT parts, and I have to say that the biggest difference is really in circumference of some parts. You'll be shimming anyway, so it's just a bigger shim.

The more obvious part is the chest/back. At this point I think it comes down to your girth - I've seen FX look small on some dietary challenged folks too.

So...no excuses!

I hate to say it, but i have a TE and it is WAY too small for a normal size head. By normal I mean my oversized head I personally am in the market for a bigger style helmet to fit my pumpkin as well as all the fun peripherals. So for all the pumpkinheads out there I say "Don't make it too small!"