ANH Rubber Gloves- possible found item, and latex handguards

Stormtrooper

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for accurate ANH style rubber gloves for my Stormtrooper costume for a looong time now... tried 2 different types of British Army NBC gloves and the US NBC army chemical gloves (even though it seemed likely that the originals were sourced in the U.K. as that's were ANH was filmed). I even tried a pair from an online fetish company (I'm sure they believed all the BS I told them about wanting them for a Star Wars costume, eh?! LOL)

Well, I've finally managed to find rubber gloves that are IMO indistinguishable from the originals, and for all I know they may even be the same type as used in ANH.

They have rubber checked patterns on the fingernail areas, (as shown in the movie still at the bottom of this thread - thanks Paul C ) as well as the palm of the glove, which may or may not have been on the movie originals.

I've never been a big fan of *vac-formed* plastic handplate armour for ANH troopers so I set about making some latex ones that I could glue onto the back of the rubber gloves...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those aren't *my* sausage fingers by the way... they're my mannequin's LOL

Posted Image

Note the dark honey-colour of the cured latex on the back of the handguard on the right of the picture. If you watch ANH frame-by-frame as I often do you'll see loads of places where the white paint/dye has worn-off the troopers handguards, exposing this dark latex colour... probably with handling the blasters etc. etc.

Well I couldn't let my mannequin have all the fun, so I suited-up and grabbed a resin ANH blaster for a pic or two:

Posted Image

And finally, just for fun I took a section from a movie still of Han in the detention block, cropped one of my pics and grayscaled it to see how they'd compare:

Posted Image

These gloves have a light flock-lining inside which slightly reduces the whole sweat issue... but in the overpowering heat of Tunisia in 1976, I reckon those big-haired sandtroper actors deserved better paypackets than the *principal* actors!

Cheers,

John

Looks great!! I found a pair at I think Wal Mart that looks just like those, with the details on the finger tips.

I'm surprised no one has made the latex/rubber hand backs like in the movies. It's the last piece we need to fabricate. Would pretty easy to do, too.

• 1 month later...