No Turning Back - Weathering for WC's Suit

whitecommando

I know I need to cut out the ab plate... BUT! I was watching ANH - Special Edition and noticed in the updated sandtrooper scene that the added troops were overly weathered and had snow trooper handplates and small back packs, drop boxes and white abdomen buttons!

So, I am getting closer.

Look at my weathering (and yes, I am swapping my FX lid for an RT-Mod next week, but practice never hurts).

Pics...

Posted Image

I also plan to cut the ab plate and have no buttons on the center panel. Feedback is welcome. More resolute pics soon.

John

Yes. It had a subtle base already from a month ago underneath this new subtle base.

I have found a great mixture, so to say. I sponged on mocha and grey acrylic, used a dry towel an twist-buffed 2/3 of the paint off, let dry. Then I took a spray bottle filled with windshield wiper fluid and added mocha, medium grey and a bit of black acrylic.

Misted that, then after about 5 minutes, would blot it.

Then I repeated it, and then I flicked some red dirt from my flower bed, then blotted again.

I am going to repeat this process one more time, then add a couple of splotches.

There is a light sandy texture all over that is not showing in the pics. I have some buffed areas that look like "attempted" field cleaning.

Stay tuned. More to come.

It's a nice subtle base. You may decide to add a little more here or there. What looks really weathered from five feet away looks almost white from 15.

I am going Original style. I just need to get my ab plate right (among other thighs)... though it would be easier to do an SE version. I just think the weathering on them is not consistent with the rest of the troops. They look like guys in FX suits with a big pile of dooge on their armor.

As for Halloween, I will be in-between. But, I need to get in touch with Gundamzeppelin on his methods for the light-tone weathering under the chest teets. His stuff looks wicked!!!

OH! I found two kitty litter trays that are almost perfect for the main boxes of my back pack.

I am getting there. Thanks guys!!!

John

You're such a dirty boy, John! Congrats on going TD.

As Seth asked - are you trying for an SE version, will eventually go original, or a blend in-between?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was weird, but I got this brand-spankin-new RT-Mod yesterday and piled on some dirt...

Posted Image

And I weathered it up to match my armor as well as possible. Let me know your thoughts. Throw me under the bus... I prefer blunt honesty.

I am not afraid of Truth... Justice... and the MEPD Way! Mike, tell me to get less fat... maybe I will listen to you... since I want to be like you.

Posted Image

And the great news... IT FITS MY GIANT HEAD!!!!! I told Rob to bore my hole out real nice.

Later Brothers,

John

What doesn't? Good work man. I think the whole thing could use a subtle dust layer. Not that it looks bad as is, but I like the dustiness. Go over with either Fuller's Earth or pulverized charcoals (the right color obviously). Doing that with a light tan/brown will add some more dimension and soften the contrast between the clean parts and the dirty parts.

How is my weathering? Good contrast on how it shows outside versus inside. Pretty dirty inside and looks really a lot cleaner outside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oops, cord malfunction!

Posted Image

The official decommissioning of my old FX...

Posted Image

It was turned into my bosses Birthday Present. He loved it!

Posted Image

Almost there... almost there.

Later Brothers AND thanks for the tips and encouragement!

John

Thanks guys! He was a nice guy. If you are dressed as a TD, and he isn't too busy, he will make time to visit. We had a nice chat. I gave him that E-11 as a gift! That is why he was armed.

Seth, I appreciate the compliments! I did the crushed charcoal tips... though I more hand smudged it in with a brush, then blotted it off.

I may add yet one more fine layer of light sand-colored grime with a touch of smokey polluted air dust.

Here is my new 501st page...

http://www.501st.com/members/displaymem ... ostumeid=2

I guess they think I am good enough... now I have to get Seth, Mike and Paul to think I am good enough!

Later Brothers,

John