Hand armour

troopermaster

The pic with the garindan is the only one I have found so far.I think the blurry pic is nothing like what the real guard looks like.I'll just have to go by that one pic.

Do you think it is the same guard on each hand,or a left and right version?

I made some nice sandy forearms recently too,with the 12 'indents' and 11 on the other side if I'm not mistaken.I'll try and put a pic up.

Posted Image

Paul.

I think it just looks like a rectangle. I'm still not sold on the "dimpling" it could just as easily be dirt. It's almost impossible to tell, as I think that is the only "clear' picture of the handback. My guess is this was an on-the-fly fix, since all the others have the "T" backs.

that picture is the only place that I have seen that hand back. It looks rectangular to me also. Of all the pictures and all the things made resembling a sandtrooper I have never seen this anywhere else. I don't

know who went off on a tangent but I believe this was just a quick fix

for some guy who probaly lost one of his hand plates and they figured no

one would ever notice this and went with it. Just my 2 cents!

• 5 months later...

Hey,it's been a while but I finally got around to making a mould for these hand plates today.I'm going to try and get some plastic tomorrow and form these.

I also finished the forearm too,you know,the real sandtrooper right forearm with 12 indents I'll form that too while I'm at it.I still have to finish the left arm mould and I have some nice ANH hand plates as well.

Oh,and just wait 'till I show you guys my ab plate,NOTHING will come close to this for movie accuracy....NOTHING!

Paul.

I can't wait to see it! If it's on par with the rest of your work, I'm sure it will be fantastic! Did you go with left/right for the hand guards? I started moulding one, but am going to have to try again, I'm not happy with the dimensions. I am going the same for both route (mostly for simplicity, I know in the end I'll stick with the T-backs, I just like them better).

Hey,it's been a while but I finally got around to making a mould for these hand plates today.I'm going to try and get some plastic tomorrow and form these.

I also finished the forearm too,you know,the real sandtrooper right forearm with 12 indents I'll form that too while I'm at it.I still have to finish the left arm mould and I have some nice ANH hand plates as well.

Oh,and just wait 'till I show you guys my ab plate,NOTHING will come close to this for movie accuracy....NOTHING!

Paul.

Hey Paul,

Long time no hear... look forward to your results. As for the hand guards, I think it's just gaffers tape.

For those of you who are curious:

Posted Image

There is a definite non-random pattern of slots (short/long, long/short, short/long, long/short, short/long).

You can also see this handback on the EpIV DVD at the checkpoint scene. Sorry I don't have a screencap. The photo above is the best reference so far.

Though I like the_prop_master's take on it, I still can't see it as anything but wrinkled gaffer tape or double sided tabe to hold the original hand guard on, but of course, not knowing how these were originally held on to the gloves I cannot of course be certain. It just doesn't appear to have any depth to it, it appears completely flat - in those pictures you can see a white edge around the hand guards on the other troopers, indicating that they have mass and are not merely flat, that single different looking hand guard does not.

Maybe I'm just seeing things... but I am not convinced that it is anything other than wrinkled tape of some sort with light and shadow making it look like it has markings on it.

Just my 42 cents.