Man, Have I Been Slacking. *PICS ADDED*

maj_hassel

I've had an AP kit I was going to use to make a TD for over a year and a half and I only recently have started putting it together.

I had already cut the pieces out and weathered some of them.

Later on, I taped some pieces together, tried it on, got discouraged, grumbled and moped about how it was way too small for me and shelved the project.

I recently picked up a clean, pre-assembled, AP kit and, after some adjustments, it fit really well (I have lost 15 pounds since I first got the kit).

Inspired, I decided to start work in earnest again on my TD.

I've been working on it for the last week or two when I could, and today I had my final test-fitting!

Here are some pics:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

You can see that it's been a while since I've worked with this kit; the weathering has rubbed off the chest piece and the edges of the helmet from being handled; most pieces haven't even been weathered yet.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of screw-ups: I glued the knee-plate a little low and need to pry it loose and re-position it. I also, when I was originally cutting out the parts, over-trimmed the bottom lip of the chest plate. Oh well, not much I can do about it now--anyone have a spare sitting around?

I should have this kit finished--minus some helmet wiring--within the next couple of days. Then I'll be able to add TD to my list of designations!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished weathering the kit. I wasn't really going for a "straight from Tatooine" look or, "...this is the exact weathering pattern of the third sandtrooper on the left in scene four" look either.

I just wanted it to look like it's been out in the field for a long time on some really crappy assignments. I even left a little carbon scoring in from it's previous paint job.

Here's how it came out:

Posted Image

I haven't sealed the paint job yet (I use hairspray), and the belts still wet so I'm not trying it on until tomorrow.

I'm going to use the standard pouches for my 501st submission, but for trooping purposes I'm going to use a pouch I customized which is great because it can hold quite a bit--all you need for those long troops

Posted ImagePosted Image

looking good there trooper. AP fits you really well mate and the weathering is great. i'd maybe rub off some dirt from a few key raised areas for a little contrast but thats just me.

my main question is, wheres ya backpack?

looking good there trooper. AP fits you really well mate and the weathering is great. i'd maybe rub off some dirt from a few key raised areas for a little contrast but thats just me.

my main question is, wheres ya backpack?

The paint is secured with hairspray, and I'm storing the kit in a canvas laundry bag, so the high parts (belt boxes, shoulders,etc.) will eventually rub off. The problem with the hairspray method is that is tends to give a gloss finish to the weathering.

This kit will probably go through several different weatherings before I find one I really like and seal it on there. But I actually enjoy weathering so I'd hate to miss out on all of that fun.

I suppose I could have put a little more time into the weathering but I, mistakenly, thought there was an event today that I wanted to troop as a TD but that's not until the 9th; this was kind of a rushed job.

As for the backpack, I need a intake manifold. I also need to get the little tubes that go on the side of the upper box but am unsure what size pvc pip to use, but that's a question for a different post.

Looking good Bro! You were saying that the hairspray that you used ended up leaving the weathering sorta glossy. Try using a brand called White Rain. One can of the unscented stuff was like $1.50 and I only used about half the can to weather one suit. I found that it actually took the shine away from the armor itself and is wicked strong.

I picked up a can of white rain and tried to use it over the parts I had already sprayed. It did lower the gloss a little, but not enough for my tastes.

I'm going to clean and re-weather a thigh piece and just use the White Rain to fix the paint. If it looks really good I'll re-do the whole kit.

I took a damp paper towel and, with a little pressure, wiped off an area of one of my thighs. That's the great thing about hairspray and tempera paint, it comes off nice and clean--yet stays on when you need it to.

I did take a bunch of pictures and did a little Photoshop on one of them...

Posted Image