Help needed! (bucket measurements)

Jonboy2312

Some might already know I've restarted my helmet sculpt project - it's going pretty okay (you can see it here: http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2889&start=15 ), but I'd be most grateful for some dimensions I don't have. They would really help me a lot.

Posted Image

Can anyone please provide me with the dimensions indicated above? Centimeters would be best, I don't have any rulers withinches on them.

That's quite a project to undertake.

Thank you! I'm honored you had a look

I hope you don't mind I printed photos of some of your helmets, among others, for reference (there's about 70 prints all over the table and on the opposing wall, LOL )

My focus for today would be the bulges - I want to bring them closer, enlarge and perfect the openings for mic tips. Then, the tubes will need some more careful shaping, and afterwards, I believe, just general smoothening and I'll be able to cast a plaster mould (no vacuforming equipment so I work with fiberglass) Whew...

If there's anything obviously wrong that you see, please tell me, I need all the help I can get

WOW, great project!

i´d love to see another amazing scratchbuild helmet out here!

great to see another talented artist do a stormtrooper helmet project!

you can put me on place one of your upcoming offer list!

good luck with your project and keep us updated!

Glad you guys like ^^

Here's how it looked today before I covered it up for the night (it's past midnight here...)

Posted Image

- reshaped tubes, more defined "cheekbones" (under 'goggle' corners, just in front of 'tears'), rough work on the chin started.

Right after taking the photos, I added a sharper corner to the 'goggle' of the warped eye.

I'd be delighted and most grateful if you guys could give it a good, hard look and try to find any obvious mistakes that I can still fix. I'd like to give it the final cleanup and smoothening treatment so that I can cast the plaster mould off it (no vacuforming tools... thus I only do fiberglass :( )

Force willing, I might even make it in time for the Dagobah con, first weekend of August.

Another scratchbuild? As far as I've seen, this is the first.

Aw come on now... I think everyone knows each other's opinions by now and I think it's better to avoid the topic alltogether. I respect both you and Paul and I hate seeing you argue :(

Another scratchbuild? As far as I've seen, this is the first.

Here is one done by OSCS, (also a member here & maker of the best ep3 clone bucket on earth). http://www.imperialsurplus.com/completedanh2.html

I know you stated your POV on the TM helmet but was wondering if you had seen these comparison pics of it taken from another thread. (Sorry to hijack Jon, if anyone wants to discuss further just start a new thread & I'll move this post there)

Here are the latest pics sent to me of a TM vs TE/Gino hybrid hero.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jon- that is some really great work you've got going!

Ah yes, everyday that passes I see more talented people coming out. More talent and less monoploy. Its a thing of beauty.

Your helmet looks great so far. Work on it for a while and then walk away from it for a few days. That will give you quite a bit more feedback than anything else. try to keep it even on both sides and looking smooth. It already looks better than version one dude.

maybe you could reshape the triangles under the eyes to be more accurate, otherwise it looks really GREAT! good work!

Aye, I've done that already. They were unfinished on the photo, I just forgot about them when photographing.

Okay then, I'll cast the thing tomorrow, after I have my sleep, it's 0226 hrs...

Good job so far Wojciech

I would round off the top of the nose bridge (between the eyes) and make the eyes closer, 30mm gap. One eye is wider than the other, the helmet is very assymetric. Here are the measurements from my moulds-

A=68mm

B=90mm (measured from corner of eye down side of tear, to top of tube)

C=70mm

D=227mm

Hope that helps!

-Paul.

(edit) There are a total of 11 teeth on the originals. I would ONLY use pics of original helmets for reference and not replicas

Thanks a million, Paul!

I'm absolutely delighted you like my lid so far The dimensions came a bit too late as the clay model was already covered in plaster then, but you confirmed my estimates and guesses - the width on my faceplate is about 22.5, etc - all are very, very close to yours and I'm very happy about that

I'll definitely work on the visors some more now that the fiberglass part is out of the mold, and there's still room for two tiny holes in the frown (there's 8 now) near the tips where the frown curves downwards. I believe the "move along" trooper had 10 holes (thus 11 gray areas - "teeth")

First things first, though - I have to sculpt the back and the dome, and do a lot, and I mean a LOT of sanding on the final faceplate. My fiberglassing still sucks ( I have no idea how to use gelcoat so I simply don't ) and the surface is rough, it needs a coat of finishing putty and then a lot of sanding. I fixed the major flaws such as air bubbles and whatnot, and gave it a preliminary coat of paint so that the uniform color would give a better idea which areas need work. It seems like the entire surface does, LOL.

Oh well, there's still a month to the convenstion, I think I'll make it on time. Sanding should just take one more afternoon, the back of the helmet, hopefully, another week. Please keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot for your help and your kind words

Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay, time to hit the hay... here's how the faceplate looks after today's sanding efforts - I'd say halfway there, it'll be finished tomorrow, ready for final painting. Then we start sculpting the dome/back section

Posted Image

Paul, I'll still work on the eyes a bit - all in due time

I did shave the tusks down a bit - they were way too pointy and sharp. They still are, but not as much. I think I'll keep them like this - the whole faceplate, afterall, is much sharper than vacuformed parts, so the look will be more consistent this way, I think...

Glad you like

Well, I know I botched the teeth, but there's not much I can do about them now. I'll dremel the eyes a wee bit closer like Paul said, but after the back and dome of the helmet is sculpted and cast, so that I'll have a better idea about the proportions.

My wife will start working on the clay sculpt tomorrow when I'm at work, then I'll take over, and hopefully we'll have the part ready by the end of the week. Then a nice pair of ears over the weekend and voila!

BTW, here's how the faceplate looked earlier today after more sanding and a base coat of paint on:

Posted Image

I couldn't resist painting the frown, the tears and the chin in order to get a better idea, so the next shots you'll see will show a painted faceplate.

But that reminds me... Would anyone be willing to help me out a little bit by donating a pair of tube stripe decals?

...Hi, this is my firdt post

Welcome to the forum!

and think that is a fantastic work . I also want to begin my own armor from nothing...i even am gathering information and measures...

I'm thinking of maybe putting up a tutorial on the internet in some time, maybe that will help too

mmm ...Do you need this???

Posted Image

yup. As a pair of stickers

A major update

Here's my other half presenting the lid, which we call JN, from our nicknames (artistic aliases,actually - Jonny and Nala) s/n 00 (prototype)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about the ANH helmet / SE armor mix

I'll post some pictures from the building process a bit later. I was very frustrated with the back section as the two didn't want to fit together too well, and the tubes in the back were too thick - I had to fill them up with resin and shave them down, and in the end the ear 'cable covers' aren't separate parts at all... they are what's left of the first, wrong tube dimension! pretty convenient, now that I think about it.

I know the trapezoids are off and the ears are very rough... I'll work on them after Dagobah 2007. Besides, I'll be able to compare this lid directly to APs, TEs and SDS's there so that I'll have a better idea what to do to it. I should trim the botom some more and bring the corners of the eyes closer as Paul pointed out, but I just want to get a better "feel" by direct comparison first.

Oh, BTW, the inside has nifty earphone cushions installed and pretty frown screens, too

I've just brought the lid to this troopable condition and I'm so darn happy that I barely feel the splitting headache I've had all day. I think all the resin fumes, paint smell and fiberglass dust in the air really took their toll on me, but I'm just too darn happy right now

Well, there it is, the JN helmet. So far it's a one-off, but, who knows what the future holds

EDIT:

This is how it looked this morning - with even worse ears... way too thick, I shaved them down afterwards.

Posted Image

Well if your going for the SE look, the first thing is to paint the frown black. Then you could add bubble lens and also trim out the eyes a bit bigger too (less recessed) and trim the **** out of the ear caps. Another thing you could do is turn the ab plate box around.

Just suggestions mate

Your helmet is looking much better now it's all painted up and weathered....good job