Help needed! (bucket measurements)

Jonboy2312

I think it'll be easier to convert the armor back to ANH standards - a new kneeplate, no ab buttons (mine are rather rough). The only thing that would pretty much have to stay is the rubber lip... It's just that I'd hate to give this helmet those odd bulging eyes. Man, such a dilemma!

Glad you like it, though I remember everything you said before (eye spacing and such) and like I said, I'll see how it compares to some of the respectable ANH lids out there directly (the convention starts on the 4th). This thing wasn't even anywhere near an ANH helmet when I was building it, so I can just pray it's close enough

It´s rooock congratulations!!...but..1 question...whats is the measure of ear´s cover?? (circle´s diameter) ((-))..jejeje...this is a reference .

Saludos!!

better ask someone who owns an ANH helmet - I was only guessing the ear diameter

Allright, it's decided, ANH look it is, I'm bidding on my first MP-40 mag pouch and I'll gradually be replacing parts after the upcoming convention. I don't mind getting rid of the control panel, it turned out rather rough and I'm not too happy with it. It's just a shame about the kneeplate - I had a really nice one from TK-560 but already traded it to another TD.

The rubber lip on the armor, however, should stay... my fiberglassing was crappy and it's just the nature of this armor now. I'll see if i can do something about that at a later stage, though.

Now, the question is... With the armor in this work-in-progress condition, can I register it in the Legion? no, no, not MEPD yet, very, very far from THAT standard yet, LOL. So far I only have my old, 2002/2003 Imperial Officer registered and I'm dying to be a TD. TD-1226 sounds better than ID-1226, too

Who do I talk to? The local GML? I was the first member in the Polish Outpost so previously I've dealt directly with top brass, LOL

Thanks, but you guys praised me too early... I botched it a bit, and only realized it when I came home from work and saw it again after all those hours.

The dome was all wrong! Take a look! :(

I know the SDS Battle-Spec is not the most screen-accurate lid out there, but it's still excellent and I have plenty of shots of one as TK-1410 used to own one), so that's what I'll compare it to...

Posted Image

I felt pretty devastated and was thinking hard about what I could try to do to fix it, but then i remembered yoda's "there is no try", grabbed the bucket, measured how much room can I subtract and still have it fit on my head, then I filled the inside of the dome with that exact thickness of fiberglass laminate, and... went after the helmet with a big electric grinder!

Scary, scary moments, but it was a success in the end

Posted Image

The trapezoids are still too rectangular, but that's just a minor detail which I'll fix later... a lot later... right now I'm just resting and enjoying my entirely self-made bucket I just can't wait to re-weather the dome and pose for some new shots

The plan for tomorrow: abdominal plate mod, more sanding and polishing work on the shoulder bells.

Well it has paid off mate and looks much better. I wouldn't use any replica helmets for reference personally. There are plenty of great pics out there of real helmets and that is what you are trying to replicate, not replicas

Well, with the wider teeth I can't really make it fully "kosher", but at least it's painted like the originals were, LOL! And I'd say it's way sharper than most replicas.

Too bad my fiberglass laminate isn't the same color as the old HDPE was. It's indeed khaki here and there, but mostly red or pink.

As imperfect as it is, it's still my baby and I love it

Thanks guys

I'm pretty much satisfied with the helmet now, of course I'll re-shape the trapezoids over the brow but not right now. I still have to sculpt some proper biceps first.

Yesterday, I refinished the shoulder bells and the forearms (some finishing putty and sanding, then a new paintjob and weathering) and they're much smoother now (previously they were finished in a hurry).

And perhaps most important of all, everybody seemed to suggest a classic ANH look, so...

Posted Image

How's my ab plate mod?

Sorry about the lip, but my fiberglassing has such crappy edges that it really should stay there...

okay guys, how's THIS?

I'm delighted with the helmet now, but if you see a glaring problem that I missed, please tell me.

I'm also presenting the ab plate mod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still working on: ANH handplates, screen accurate biceps, diamond kneeplate

Still waiting for: MP-40 mag pouches, 'ALICE' backpack frame, etc

Posted Image

Another bit that I've converted to ANH standards - the handplates, made of a paint bucket in under 10 minutes but they'll do

The diamond kneeplate is next.

Okay, I know this no longer reflects the original topic, but... come on, no feedback at all? I need opinions, comments and CC, guys...

ALLRIGHT!!

I've been bidding on two replica MP40 canvas pouches (not the design seen in the movies, but the kind with the extra straps for closing the compartments...), but all of a sudden I've been contacted by a craftsman who specializes in WW2 bits with a better offer...

Of course I presented TD reference pictures to her, kind of startling her with such an unusual project, but she eagerly accepted the challenge and I'll soon have a set of three lovely, screen-acurate ammo pouches, tailored specifically to easily fit onto the trooper belt and a shoulder bell velcro

Yaaaaay!

I'll also be getting an accurate backpack (even though I HATE this requirement - there's no way I'll ever be able to take the lugger with me to Canada, and not all the sandies in the movie had them anyway...)

The TD kneeplate I got from TK560 is on its way back to me as well (it didn't want to fit my friend's AP armor too well) and... what do you guys think, with those items coming to me any moment now, will my TD be complete and up to MEPD standards?

As you have the skills to make yourself such a nice armor, the backpack should not be that much of a problem, and i think it really adds that little extra to the sandtrooper. I keep coming back to this thread because i think its really cool to see how you progress, so do the backpack as well!

Thanks, Nico... But I'm really not THAT skilled, I failed miserably in building my own legs and had to buy a set from TK-560. I'll just be getting an excellent backpack from TD-1408 at Dagobah 2007.

Whew... I'm still waiting impatiently for my mag pouches and my kneeplate, so I decided to kill some time by doing another little photo session.

Like I said, still lacking the proper kneeplate and the pouches (the drop boxes will go as soon as I install my pouches).

This time, I also have my ANH handplates on. Seth, do they still look too long when worn? I'll trim them if necessary, but they seem fine to me

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, a little OT... my other half

Posted Image

I'll probably adjust the shape of those handplates a bit, but first I want to compare them (and everything else too for that matter) with good ANH kits at the Dagobah 2007 con in two weeks.

BTW, there's a lovely set of MP40 pouches custom tailored to fit a sandtrooper that's coming my way http://www.allegro.pl/item218801410_cza ... szona.html

I also had a few pics taken this sunday. Not really a desert, but as close to one as we can get in these parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just can't wait to have my puches and kneeplate...