TD - Work In progress - Update 8/30

Darth_Nickel

I've started work on my TD and thought I would keep a running progress thread.

I've been working on the bucket first. It's a FX converted to a stunt. Not weathered yet, but will be soon. I've started on the detached parts for the weathering (see below)

I decided to try and put it together a little differnetly. I never liked the FX seams, so that's what I worked on first.

I know it's a FX bucket, but I'm a bondo rookie, and thought it would be good practice for future projects that I have.

Please ignore the frown paint, I just used it as a reference for the frown as I worked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

no flash

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After getting some initial paint on the bucket, I started working on the chin.

I was planning on using this as a base to the weathering (toothpaste this then put another coat of black on) but I'm not sure... I can't decide if I like it this way or not. I'm leaning toward too much, but then... can there really be too much???

Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I learned from the best.... so I had nothing to loose.

I also work in acrylic paint for fun, so I don't mind taking a chance. I have to admit, it's a blast weathering. I can't wait to get the rest of the base paint on the bucket so I can complete the detail and weathering. Hurry up UPS....

• 2 weeks later...

yep. Working on that now. I'm running into a little issue... remember this is an FX that's pretty much bondo, sanded, primed and painted when put together... some of the streaks are infact very light sanding marks. I don't think I can get rid of them completely. Not sure how to do that.

Thanks Seth!!! Good tip. That did work well. The light sanding marks do bother me a bit. My only option to get rig of them completely would be well... re-prime and not sand.

Lesson learned!!!!

I have the day off tomorrow. Perhaps I will tape off the traps (those were a pain in the butt). Throw a couple of coats of primer on and re-weather. I don't know.... It was interesting, I actually could tell where I was light with the top coat of paint. If I got to either ABS or thicker glossy white paint, there was a big difference in the way the paint for the weather held. I like the way it held to the thicker primer. I was able to get a nice blend, which I thought looked really good for the weathering (see the first weathering pics of the face). Perhaps I'm crazy, but it seemed like the most realistic.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on the ab conversion, and would love to get some feedback. It's a FX ab that I'm converting. I still have some more work (actually I did some last night, so these pics are already dated). As you can see I still have to paint and sand some of the work I did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've started weathering the ab. I think I've got some more work to do, but wanted to get some thoughts.

I did finish up the conversion, so I would like to get some thoughts on that as well.

Please let me know what you think

Starting....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finishing (or at least current state)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I need to do an update. It's been slow going. I need to focus.

Most of the recent progress has been on stuff that not very interesting to show, but important.

Recent run down of work...

Added the snaps to the center belt section and installed the canvas belt.

Cut Ab/Cod

Cut Back/Butt

Started on some snaps and straps (for the cod and butt)

Prep work on the back plate

Weathered the chest plate

Working on the canvas straps for the chest and back (had to do some changes to the ones I received since it's an FX)

Painted the inside of the bucket

Most of my recent time has been on the DLT-19. It's fun, but it's a lot of work. I think I'm starting to get a little obsessive with it....

I'll get some new pics up very soon.

For the chin it was actually pretty simple. Here's what I did.

Undercoat of metallic silver paint.

Toothpaste for "chips and weathering effect"

Spray with black gloss

Once the paint was dry, wipe away the tooth paste.

I then applied a rusting chemical and iron paint to "grow some rust"

Let the rust grow for a few days

Clean it up a little so the silver paint shows through

Clear coat to set the rust (used a satin finish vs gloss)

Applied a light coat/powdering of light gray to remove any sheen and add "dust.

that's it.