How the (current) MEPD began

TD5374

This is a little dity about how the "new and improved" MEPD was started! LOL..

Seriously, this is in conjunction with the "Happy Sandtrooper Day" thread.... A short story about the "rebirth" of the FINEST detachment the 501 has EVER seen! This might give you a little pride knowing the actions YOU took have made such an impact on this detachment, even JUST by signing up for it! Then, as you walk around C3, or your local CON, showing the patch, etc... You can know that "Yeah tho I walk through the shifting Sandunes, I will fear NO Sandpeople, For I am Sandtrooper.. The biggest, baddest, MEANEST Trooper that ever lived!"

On approximately May 1st, and after a TON of emails being sent off to the people listed as being part of the MEPD and going unanswered, I had had enough!

I posted on the 501st Legion board that I was "calling ANY MEPD member" to please answer me on how to become a member of the MEPD. I got zero responses from them, but many from others who, like me, had been trying to find out about membership. The main 2 at that time were Joey (BamaTrooper) and Kevin (TD0013). As we talked, I also talked to Tim Knapp, (current Legion CO) who was then the Legion XO about the problem. He asked if I thought I could handle bringing it back to life. After talking to Joey and Kevin, I told him yes.

During this time, I had also been contacted by a guy whom uses the screen name BraksBuddy. He had found one day that the ownership and everything had been dumped on him by the former leadership of the MEPD, whom he knew from one of the costuming forums (TDH).

Braksbuddy got ahold of me, via contact from Tim, and said "I am NOT a sandtrooper, or ANYTHING like this!" and he asked if we would take it off his hands and get it going. I told him "yes" and before I knew it, on May 25th, 2004 I had full ownership of the MEPD sites, names and everything!

I immediately got with Joey and Kevin and asked them to assist. They agreed and we began getting things together. We got assistance from TB111, Chris Romines (retired) who started a BRILLIANT website. I then asked my webhead, Josh Larsen (from the Mtn Grs as I am) to assist him. He agreed, and the basic Command Staff and WebTeam was assembled.

We then went to the Legion Boards, and to our own Garrisons. The first few days were slow, as most were afraid it was going to be "the same as before" as we heard time and again. Then we had a few "hard chargers" such as, but not limited to: Old Sarge Oberon, Harry Soberin, Phong Nyguyen, and Dean Plantamura. Also assisting in the "remake" at this point was MY Garrison CO John Orndorff and AGAIN Tim Knapp jumped in and fired some rockets off for us.

Then, as if watching Field of Dreams all of a sudden THEY CAME!! All of you! With your absolute BEST weathering techniques, your "how to" on building BFG's, Packs and modifying armor. The people who lit up the boards about how to and how come and look at this. Then we had the "Im doing a run of" people. People who were willing to give time and efort of their own to make something "cool" for their Dirty Family.

Then I had some personal issues on finance, work, and my back that arose. Joey and Kevin, my 2 stalwart sandy brothers pulled in and said "What can we do to help with the MEPD".. Joey agreed to take the reigns while Kevin continued to be just antagonistic enough to keep everyone hoppin (which is truly his job and he is GREAT at it!) and who keeps the "CANON" issue that we hold so dear right up there at the forefront!

So here we are now, almost a full year has gone by. We have grown from a detachment that was on the web in name only, with no postings made in over a year and no activity at all, to this great machine we have now! You all have done that! We are now sitting at 129 members, and more are joining everyday. YOU have shown the "fun" and dedication that it is to be a Sandtrooper to your Garrison mates and squadmates. They are coming to our door everyday. I know this as I get the "a new member has subscribed" posting on it and there is NOT a day that doesnt go by that I dont get one.

I want to thank all of you guys, especially those I named and those that were unnamed but part of that time when we were trying to get it off the ground. And I want to thank the trooper who has joined and claims proudly that he is MEPD and **** proud of it!

So when your at C3, put that patch somewhere it can be seen. Maybe a jacket, or wherever. But wear it proudly as it took a LOT of time, money, and effort to get this group where it is today. Remember your the BEST, most dedicated trooper out there as YOU have made the pledge to try and be more screen accurate than any other person.

This may be a nuisance thread, but thought that as you all pack up for C3, and people ask, you might want to know just went into getting us here, and the great effort YOU have put into this Detachment.

I am in awe of you all..................................................

Thanks..

Thanks Joe for YOUR efforts. I won't be able to make C3 because of duty commitments however, I will proudly strut my "stuff" (patch) here in Honolulu. Now time to hunt down some rebel scum! Aloha. "Guns"

I remember posting to the old site way back when and asking how I could join. What a graveyard that was. It took a couple weeks to get a response directing me to the yahoo board. Congratulations to everyone involved for getting this off the ground. By the way, I have my patch on my flight jacket but I'm not sure what the weather is like in Indy this time of year. See some of you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto to what Joe said. Without all of YOU, none of this would have been possible. Me and the two Joeys would just be three guys playing with our putzes had it not been for the overwhelming drive of you, the ELITE SANDTROOPERS of the MEPD (Yes, as far as I'm concerned, the MEPD sandies ARE elite, because we commit to the dirt, not just the "cute accessories") came aboard and made this place a home for all troopers who wish to go dirty, and become a "working" trooper, not just a Death Star Desk Jockey.

I must apologize for my own recent absence from this site, and for not getting the new deployed troopers photos done yet. I have become the Dune Sea Garrison's CO this year, and with everything going on, I have been running with all cylinders firing at once. I WILL get these photos done soon, so no worries.

Alas, I won't have a jacket with me at C3, but I will be sporting my MEPD shirt proudly, as well as working the volunteer gig in full MEPD regailia. (Tim, we're still up for that "special duty", right?

I look forward to raising a drink with as many of you as I can at C3, so we can all trade "no really, these idiots wanted me to clean my armor" horror stories.

You have the Dirt.

You have the Heart.

You have the Commitment.

And thus, you have my undying respect.

See you at C3!

• 5 months later...

Proud to be here, Chief. Not sure yet where that patch will go, but I'll make sure everyone knows I'm from here.

An idea that I got from Bamatrooper a long time ago is to put the patch on the lowest, outermost corner of your pauldron. I wore my SO patch there for years, and if I get a MEPD patch, that's where itll go unless we all decide on something else.

Later