Size Differences

Ares

Hi guys

I'm wanting to make a suit of armor...and let's just say I'm not fully grown. So, I ask myself this-will my armor still fit when Im 18?(To join the 501st) Or will it be worth it to wait? I think NO because Sandies pwn.

I'm considering buying a sweet helmet as I hope my head doesn't get too much bigger, pimp it out and use it as my only helmet.

Please help me guys!

~Ares

How old are you exactly?

Here's my jaded, old opinion on young kids getting into this hobby. Don't. It might look like a lot of fun, and it is, but it is a very, very expensive hobby, one that is geared more toward adults with expendable income. If you had the talent and materials to make armor from scratch, expect to spend a good few years devoted to it.

Also, thinking back to when I was a teen, aside from trying to play metal and put together a band, I wish I'd spent more time devoted to study and chasing girls - both of which I regret not doing now.

Save your money, buy a car and chase girls. When you move out on your own, have the expendable income and still are excited about this hobby, then tear it up!! I'm sure we'll be here.

But remember... I'm jaded and kinda old, so you can tell me to **** off if you want.

I'd have to agree with Mike's statement. I've only been a member of the 501st for roughly 18 months, but I spent two years researching armor before purchasing a suit and getting it up to spec and being approved for membership with the 501st. I've now spent well over $5k on my two suits combined. You really need to take this into consideration before deciding that this is really what you'd like to do. I know that when I was younger, I definitely didn't have that sort of disposable income, and to be honest, I still really can't afford it, but I seem to be making ends meet. I'm not trying to discourage you, just warning you to really think it through; don't let this just be an impulse buy.

Now, with that out of the way...

FX is going to be the largest and also the most inaccurate suit, with the other suits being all relatively the same size. The TM suit, being a custom sculpt, in some people's eyes is less accurate (prop-replica-wise since, as I stated, it's a completely custom sculpt) and some of the parts are larger than the AP, TE, TE2, or any of several other varieties (FX, AP and TE2 currently being the most popular with most 501st troopers). The TE, TE2, and AP all have a screen used suit as their progenitor, if you will, and aren't a custom sculpt.

If you are worried about growing, I would say that this hobby is definitely something to hold off on and really do your homework as to what armor you would eventually like to buy. That and save up your money. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Money is the name of the game the best and the most accurate is always going to cost you

My Sandtrooper has run me about oh man 1300 or more i saved a ton of money on the pack

My stormtrooper befor i sold it ran about the same with a lot of work put in to it.

My ANH vader that isnt even at the point of where it could be displayed is at the past the 3000 mark.

And my movie accurate spider man3 costume is also at the 3grand mark

Not counting the clone armor i now own

and my 4 display trooper helmets....

Maybe i have a problem

I'm currently just interested in a helmet for display. And weapons can never outgrow you. And I will do what you guys suggest-not make the armor now,RESEARCH and maybe some more RESEARCH then COLLEGE. Get a sweet job and then be able to pay for some awesome suits.

I know that I'm too young...but since I'm an inventive guy, I'm probally able to fit in a car and some odds-and-ends in the propmaking world.

Mike is right (even if he is young compared to us in their mid 40's and up)

..Seriously, take care of your education and developing yourself first! let me repeat that... you get the point. I have found that experience in other areas of your life lend themselves greatly to this hobby. You will look at something and say "Hmm - that looks like something I saw at my first or second job, the kind of thing that was like..: and viola - brainstorm, breakthrough - problem solved. It's not just about slapping a pre-made kit together and wearing it... you have to work at it a long time, and that also takes money....

If you have to have a costume, and are still growing - consider a "soft" costume (I.E. Biker Scout - still expensive, or Tie Pilot - Much less expensive).. You can always change out your undergarment and as long as the helmet still fits...

But, back to the original dialogue. Disposable income is necessary for this hobby. Heck, I am balancing the bare minimums for trooping with 4 kids,mortgage, car payments and student loans - and just don't have the time or moeny for anything else right now. This hobby takes dedication and MONEY.

...just my 2 cents, just don't want to see someone try it, and lose out or get jaded before they can fully experience the brotherhood that is MEPD!

If you really want to start now, I would stick to building and detailing helmets, backpacks and prop guns. You will begin developing your skills, learn from your mistakes, and begain to realize how expensive this hobby is without having to dump a ton of cash on a kit.

I agree with the other guys though, cars and girls will get you farther than ancient light sabers and hokey religions. Girls are better than a good blaster, kid!