Star Wars Helmets needs YOU!

BingoBongo_275

As most of you know, I’ve been working on StarWarsHelmets.com for a number of years now, and its grown to the state where its hopefully become the web’s all-encompassing archive of costumes, masks and obviously helmets from within the Star Wars universe.

I am conscious that it has not been updated enough in recent months and so I’d therefore like to open it up to articles and most importantly; reviews from other collectors.

I’d therefore like to invite people to provide full reviews of some of the “missing” items, which will include photographs and the text itself. I will act as “Editor” just to make sure no one says anything libellous, but otherwise you’re free to say what you like (just maybe avoid using phrases like “this is the best, accurate, whatever” as it always causes disagreement). At the same time I’m going to put some time aside to bring a number of the other sections up to date, concentrating on the text, much of which hasn’t been updated for 2-3 years.

As an example, just looking at the Stormtrooper section, there are a number of helmets and full armour now available out there, which are not reflected in the archive, e.g. AP, Trooper Master and SDS to name just three. Same with Vader etc. etc. There are bound to be “sensitive” issues, especially where potential recasting is considered, however if someone wants to review the Meatsock for example then I suppose it should be there.

As an example of the type of reviews I’m looking for – check out my Master Replicas page with reviews of the clones. Photos need to be approx 600 x 800 (about 8.5” @ 72 pixels /inch) such that they take up most of the screen, but not more. Photos should be with a neutral background if possible (white, black, brick, just nothing fussy) and photos should be saved at 50% jpeg compression. As far as the review its just about explaining the obvious things, and how it compares in your mind with the competition – as an indicator, typically 500-800 words is plenty.

I’m not against people reviewing stuff that’s already on the site, but just want to prioritise new articles, on stuff that’s not already there.

I've posted this here as well as at the Prop Den to gauge interest. So who’s up for it?

Cheers

Jez

I think the Clone helmet section needs to be redone entirely. Unfortunately, some of the best clone helmets out there are based off the small batch OSCS helmet or a recast MR, then skillfully painted or modified to look accurate. These are very few, and unless you follow CT.net you'd never know they existed.

Most of the fan made helmets on your site are really bad fan sculpts that have since been redone to a greater degree of accuracy.

Not to say "look at me", but I've labored over a really nice 501st and Commander Gree OSCS helmet that if you wanted to include, you're more than welcome to use.

Absolutely - thats exactly what I mean.

If anyone out there has some of the various clone helmets and wants to do review(s) or comparisons then please go ahead and send them to me

Cheers

Jez

Well, I've been following the topic very closely for the past three years and think I have a good grasp of the subject, makers, types, etc. and could put together something. But, I'm probably no more qualified than anyone else on ct.net, so it would be hard to determine who's an absolute authority, which I'd suppose you're looking for?

I tend to think that there is no "absolute authority" on the subject, we all have individual bits of knowledge that when pooled can hopefully help the hobby as a whole.

From what you're saying I'm sure you could put something extremely informative together. I'm sure you're as well placed as anyone to do it.

It sounds like we've made a start!

Cheers

Jez

I got two AP´s here as TK and TD, and very good pictures of the TD.

In a few weeks from now, i have two troopermaster suits untrim.

I will take pic of them from the start, to its done.

I will love to have some of my AP shots on your site, and to rep TM when its gets here as well.

If so i can pm or mail it to you, if you like.

Best regards.

Rolf

I tend to think that there is no "absolute authority" on the subject, we all have individual bits of knowledge that when pooled can hopefully help the hobby as a whole.

From what you're saying I'm sure you could put something extremely informative together. I'm sure you're as well placed as anyone to do it.

It sounds like we've made a start!

Cheers

Jez

Very well then. Let me see if I can work up a few paragraphs and some pictures for you to use.

Unfortunately I dont have enough props these days to have anything useful to contribute to your site.

I remember that your website was one of the first I came across when I got interested in Star Wars props and it really inspired me and got me enthused about the hobby, a wealth of information and photos. I hope you guys can help Jez out.

Rolf - a review of the troopermaster, from trimming, assembly to wearing would be a great review thanks.

Also a review of the AP and possibly a comparison with another helmet/armour – then again that’s something I’m sure people would like to real

Mike – excellent!

Mario – whats CMS? Everything on SWH is done in Frontpage and tbh I’m REALLY crap at web design

eifion – glad the sites been of value. Its exactly whats its there fore so I’m happy when people get something from it

Gundamzeppelin – sounds cool

Daetrin : Youre right that 2 AP’s side by side doesn’t show much, but then an AP compared to a GF compared to a TE2 – now that is interesting (to us anal types)

Cheers

Jez

Mario – whats CMS? Everything on SWH is done in Frontpage and tbh I’m REALLY crap at web design

Cheers

Jez

hope i could explain it right

a cms is a content management system

you could give some rights to other guys and they could rework some parts of the page

i´m using a simple version for our sports club

maybe this would be a good thing for one of the best and most important ref sites in the web

the prop comunity is growing and i think it´s a lot of work for a one man page like yours

for example http://tk1511.de/

Copy that.

I will love to have my TM armor progress on your site.

I will do my best on "him", and take lots of digital shots.

My girl are a fantastic photograph, she will take shots of me in a sandy place to make it 100% anh.

I think i will have the armors, about two weeks from now.

I all ready got mh/sb back pack kit done, and sci-fire weapons.

I´m in progress of doing the mg34 to anh accurate dlt-19 as well.

Mp40 pounch/wien stolla.

Modify paildron etc.

I only have paper shots of the AP when i trim it down (but i can digital photo them, no problem).

But i have very good digital shots of it done as TD.

If you like to have them, should i just mail it to you.

Do you only like to have the pictures, or some words too.

Do you like to have both AP and TM shots, or only the TM.

Do you also like to have AP vs. TM shots as well.

Best regards from here.

Rolf

Mario, Rolf - copy that what both you said - far too much for one person. It's my site but it shouldnt be just my views.

Clutch - why the change of heart? - IMO the "recasting" issue has become a lot less black/white and a **** of a lot "grayer". Its getting very difficult to decide what helmets are "recast" and which arent as a certain person effectively sold "rights" to a numer of people over recent years, each time "quitting the hobby" to pop up again a few months later, then resell the rights again and so on and so on. I believe its made a mockery of what people perceive as a "recast".

Sorry to ramble. Bottom line is I'd like to bring the archive up to date with whatever's missing

Cheers

Jez

Copy that Jez.

I will mail you my AP shots i got here, to you asap.

I guess i will have the TM suit in a few weeks from now.

I will start working on it right away, and take a lot of pictures while doing it for the mepd.

I guess it will take me about one mounth, to make it complite.

When its done, i will mail them to you too.

A little history from me, here you go.

I got my GT in 2000.

Around 2004 i saw your www, and i was in .

Short after that i got my GF armor, because your www have open my eyes for the hole accurate costume thing.

So to rep AP and TM on your www, will make me more then proud.

Cheers.

Rolf

Here are two examples of the O.S.C.S. (One Stop Clone Shop) Episode III Clonetrooper helmet, finished and painted by TK1536 Mike Harrison. They are currently being offered through the web site http://www.imperialsurplus.com. While the details remain relatively unknown, it is believed this helmet started with the original CAD files, and as such, is the most accurate helmet available. It has not been up-sized 10 to 15% like the Master Replicas helmet, and it contains the neck ring, which the MR lacks. Because of this neck ring, the helmet must be modified so it can be wearable. One such modification is the removal of the face plate which is then attached with Rare Earth magnets. For more info regarding it's origins, contact Kevin at: kwdesign2@verizon.net, or Marcelo D Gallo, trooper1389@yahoo.com.

You should also check out this Commander Cody helmet which is also based off the OSCS helmet and finished by Todd Gottfried TD1035.

http://clonetroopers.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5025

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image