Armor questions ?

apex

Hello everyone !

I just started trimming and sandinding my TE/ TE2 # 2 armor. I have some questions about what kind of straping I should use ? Like how wide the straps are on the different parts of the armor! Do the forearms and biceps have the extra strip of plastic glued on like the thighs and shin armor ?

Thanks !

Apex

Thanks you guys ! Seth thank you for the offer. But I did the ebay thing and have three rolls of elastic coming one 1" black, one 2" black, and one 2" white, that way if anyone else is having trouble finding this stuff there will be plenty for all ! I guess thats what happens when you live out in the sticks, can never find what you need ! I have one more question. do the bicep and forearm armor butt up to eachother or do they over lap and then you add a extra shim ?

I stubbled upon this awesome thread yesterday when searching for info on ROTJ armor . . .

http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... =strapping

Its a fasinating read on different theories on methods used for strapping and to a certain extend, assembling the original armor. Its got cool diagrams and everything and a really interesting read . . . all 14 pages of it

I didnt mention that i hate Wal-mart. but when you got to have it, you got to have it.

Hey, that's my line!

I actually need to go there in the next few days and horde every last tube, because where I just moved to, there are no Wal Marts.

Devcon plastic welder for some of it, E6000 for some of it.

Thanks, Seth! Ok, gotta ask. When would you use one over the other? Any warping worries with either?

I've used Devcon once on my Capricorn Armor IG helmet which was ABS, but I'm a bit worried about using it (and anything else for that matter) on TE2 HIPS. And yeah, Devcon does stink!!!

Much appreciated!!

At least on ABS, "Great Planes Pro CA Glue" (Thick to Extra Thick) works extremely well. It had a 10-15 minute cure time and allows tight clamping without warping.

There is another available and every bottle was crap. It was in a bottle like that, but the label was a purple metallic. It wouldn't bond worth crap and it would "fog" onto the armor leaving a really bad un-removable haze.

I used the Devcon on all the seams, but was too stingy. The shins popped because of this and I re-glued them with E6000. I used the E6000 for all the strapping to plastic areas. I never had trouble with Devcon on HIPS, but I'd defer to other's experience if it caused warping in large amounts. It does get very hot, I can see how on a thinner area it might cause warping.

i used E6000 on every part of the armour that required glue. as long as you roughen each surface and apply a thin layer to each surface it sticks just fine. All the butted and stripped parts were sandwiched (i glued a strip on the inside also) to help with outward pressure and avoid parts pinging apart.

the good thing about E6000 is that if you get any squidging out when clamping, once its dry you can kind of peel it off and it leaves no residue.

so far none of my parts have ever failed.

what is important is patience. you need to leave it for at least 48 hours. 72 hours if you can, just to make sure.

it wont warp your armour or melt it if you slip up.

On strapping, use the nylon webbing for strength and the elastic where you want some give.

When I first attached my bicep pieces to the shoulder bells, I used nylon. They would pop off just about everytime I suited up because there was no play there when I moved my arms. I switched to elastic and they have held ever since.

I only used nylon for the shoulder connectors, connecting the bells to the shoulder connectors, the sides of the ab plate and the thighs.