Who ordered the helmet comparison? Dial-Up fuggedaboudit!

butcherbird

I had some free time so I took a few comparison shots of some of my helmets. These are (in order) a Gino, a TE, and the dreaded meatsock. Wish I had one of Paul's to add in here (soon!). I also have an AP stunt and a AA/SDS stunt but didn't have time to shoot them. Can you spot the differences?

Gino sandtrooper:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

TE glossy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Meatsock77 (ABS):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

{SMILIES_PATH}/peace.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the GINO looks alot like the AP.

AP has done two back cap versions, this one and one where its goes more in.

The TE has a bigger back cap, and its crazy.because ive seen pictures on www.starwarshelmets.com of TE helmets whit "smaller" back cap e.g www.tk1536.com.

And no bump in the one eye, like GINO have.

The grey spots over the bow trim, looks bigger too then GINO.

MEATSOCK have a too small back cap, and dos not fit the face part.

Also no bump like Gino have in the one eye.

Also the grey spots over the black trim looks way too big, so dos the ones in the back of the head of it.

And the ears looks too big too, from the side.

And too small in front.

I like the GINO helmet best.

Like to see the AP and SDS too.

Cheers

Cool threrad! Very nice comparison photos.

The Gino and the TE are stunningly nice but I dont like the Meatstock at all, the back looks all wrong.

The SDS Stunts also has a very inaccurate back, well at least mine does anyway Compare this pic below with the same angle of butcherbird's Gino and TE, the difference is obvious. Look at how it's badly skewed to the left (I know Trooper helmets are known for their assymetry but this is ridiculous) and how flat it is along the bottom.

Posted Image

Id love to acquire a Gino someday . . . one can dream I suppose.

I think its hard to say what i the most accurate helmet.

As far as i know there was different anh versions of the anh storm trooper helmets back then too.

I think there was made 56 anh helmets/armors.

But the moulds was rebuilt about a dozen times, on the helmets (mostly the back cap part).

Also the how good the abs and hdpe plastic was pulled and assembled.

Give different variations of the anh helmets.

If you check out www.starwarshelmets.com real anh storm trooper helmets.

Move a long helmet and stop that ship helmet, have a different look.

Cheers troops

There may be different 'looking' helmets in ANH but they all came from the same moulds IMO, apart from the hero's. The assembly plays a major part in how they look but the moulds was the same. The bumpy caps had the crap on them to help reduce shrinkage and warpage so the plastic gripped to the moulds without too much distortion and the face plate didn't need any crap on due to it's complex shape. That's how I see it anyway.

Nice collection BTW

Thanks everyone.

Nice job on your AP Rolf!

Paul is right, it's kind of a trick question since all of these helmets (supposedly) derive from the same source, just different generations. Differences in trimming and assembly (and molding skill) account for the discrepancies. They're all the same size.

The one detail of the meatsock that I really like is how the right eye (when facing the helmet) is trimmed out. The way it turns up slightly as it comes to a point at the bridge of the "nose". For some reason that just looks cool to me.

-Todd

Nice helmet collection butcherbird... IMO the best out of those three is the GINO

I never could understand why no-one noticed this major problem with the TE's rear cap line...

Posted Image

On the original helmets and just about every other replica helmet, the rear line runs along the top of the ear-cover and lines up with the line of the brow trim. But on Matt's helmets this line was always about 1/2" too high, and at the wrong angle completely.

I tried to disguise this on an old TE helmet kit that I got, by re-positioning the ear-cover in a more vertical position, but there's still clearly a problem with the shape of the cap/back on his helmets.

This problem isn't there on the GINO and GF/Authenticprops which originated from the same helmet! Can someone post a pic of their TE2 for comparison?

Butcherbird, I hope you don't mind me using your pics to illustrate my point... if you do mind, just say so and I'll take 'em down.

Cheers,

John

Not at all, John, feel free to use them.

I would think that line you mentioned would just be a trimming/assembly thing, but that's odd if you said you tried to adjust for it and it was still the same. The only major difference I can readily see is with the back swoop area on the TE from the side view. It has more of a pronounced "hump" and undercut than Gino's.

Maybe Matt fettled his tumblehome.

-Todd

That ear on the TE looks like its set at more of an angle to the Gino further toward the front of the helmet look at the gaps between the ear and the teardrop its also closer to the top of the cheek tube also the angle of the ear tip is at more of an angle

noticed the trap appears to be a different shape on the Gino too slightly taller and slimmer

It looks like an assembly issue, the whole cap/back is tilted vs. the Gino. Or the Gino is tilted vs. the TE. Whatever.

edit- it might also have to do with whether you have the accurate bumpy cap or the re-fiddled smooth cap on the TE.

Here's a link to TK4510's TE2 Helmet which I recently aquired

Posted Image

It seems to be more like the GINO angle (though a little hard to see)

If you don't want this pic linked to TK4510 I'll remove it straight away

On the original helmets and just about every other replica helmet, the rear line runs along the top of the ear-cover and lines up with the line of the brow trim. But on Matt's helmets this line was always about 1/2" too high, and at the wrong angle completely.

i´m not completly with you.

it might be that TE´s cut was a little too high but the line isn´t exactly straight on the stunt helmets.

i think this is one of the main differences between the hero´s and the stunt helmets, at least on some helmets.

STUNT:

Posted Image

we all know this guy...

HERO:

Posted Image

picture taken from the death star scenes from anh, this is han´s helmet

I think what John is trying to say is that the back part where it meets the face mask should be the height of the ear caps or near enough, but TE's is quite higher. I think we can all agree that TE's helmet was fettled because we know the originals had a bumpy cap and I can remember him saying something like the cap was smoothed off because people wanted a smooth, clean helmet. This one is obviously one of the clean versions.

-Paul.