Modified Ab Plate! D.I.Y.

SethB6025

After being a little chicken about hacking up my ab plate, I tried it. I am very happy with how it turned out, and would have to say this was one of the most easy mods I ever did. There are pictures from start to finish in my photo gallery. You just cut out the "bumps and ridges" at the top ridge line of the rectangle on the ab plate. Odds are your drop box is just a little bigger than this hole. Cut away the "flashing" around the edge of the drop box, then mount it to a larger piece of plastic. (I used the drop boxes so the ABS matched, the ABS scrap I was going to use originally was BRIGHT white) Then mount this to the backside of your ab plate. Then cut out the center piece from the other drop box, cut the little rectangle into it, and glue that onto the recessed rectangle ( the "reveal" around the edge is about 3/16"). Add dirt, your done. Not counting glue dry time, this took me about an hour. Now go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's pretty much what I did. Disposable nail files work great on projects like this. The kind you can get in large packs for around a buck. There's a rust brown side and a tan side. I have found them to be an invaluable tool for mods to ABS armor such as the TK kits.

:( ..what if I want to go out as a standard TK...?

There's no going back!! There's more than just the ab plate and a pauldron that seperate us from the "white meat". Heh. I guess that makes us "the off-white meat".

• 3 months later...

Isn't that the truth? I remember having those concerns a few years ago wondering if I would be able to go back to plain white. After you wear all that gear for the first time you'll forget all about being a plain old stormtrooper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, this is the last thing I need to do to be MEPD compliant. Are there instructions for this somewhere with the dimensions / how-to, or does everyone just eyeball it?

I only have one crack at this to get it right (duh!), so am a bit hesitant as you can well imagine...

I "eyeballed" it. I think most others do as well, but if you have an FX type kit the plate you need to back the cut-out area is about the same size as a drop box (that's what I had used) that is, if you cut out the bumps&ridges area inside the first framing ridge. Then I made the second panel approx 1/4" smaller all the way around, and cut a little hole in the top. (maybe 1/2" by 1")?? Hope that helps.

Holy smokes! Whoever said this was an easy mod...ugh it's been the hardest thing I've ever done to armor. Thankfully it will be my last mod to sandtrooper-dom.

Well for those of us dremel-challenged, here are some pix of how bad it can look:

Placing the plastic inside the cut-out.

http://www.hoeffer.com/public/dsc02786.jpg

Close-up of how ragged the edges are:

http://www.hoeffer.com/public/dsc02787.jpg

Keyhole:

http://www.hoeffer.com/public/dsc02788.jpg

OK, the keyhole pic is a bit blurry but man, making straight edges with a dremel is not as easy as it seemed. I'm trying to use sandpaper now to make it more even. Cleaning out the keyhold itself with a file has not been smooth either - one slip and it's back ot more evening. :-p

Hopefully when it's all done the dirt will hide the mistakes.

How the heck do you guys get such perfectly straight lines?