Got a question

TD 654

Im going to get some new armor to replace the stuff I have now.

My question is this which armor would be best Im 6'2" and 230lbs.

I was thinking about another set of FX but also have been thinking about some RT armor. So any imput would be much appreciated.

TE or AP is the way to go..at least thats what i would buy I would go TE for sure..

Problem with that though, for someone of that fellas size, is it will look like a (recall the scene from Tommy Boy) "Fat guy in a little coat."

It might work on some of the parts, but there will be a lot of black showing. Ideally, for a larger person, I think a mix of TE and FX parts would be ideal... mix and match for best fit, etc.

I would say that the AP would work but you would have to shim the heck out of it. AN RT would def. fit too. Its made for bigger guys. And lastly the FX looks pretty good as a Sandtrooper as long as you toss that crappy helmet and maybe buy a TE2 to replace it. **** by the time you put the pauldron and mp40 ammo packs and backpack on it will look great. There are several guys in SoCal that are doing this and it looks great.

here's a guy wearing FX armor and a TE helmet from our garrison.

http://www.southerncaliforniagarrison.c ... height=480

The RT is good, but may look a little small with your height. I suggest the TE2, its the biggest most accurate helmet. You'll pay more for the TE2, but the savings will be the FX armor. In my area I can get it for about $500.00 maybe less without a helmet. Check around.

Ideally, for a larger person, I think a mix of TE and FX parts would be ideal... mix and match for best fit, etc.

This is the conclusion I've come to also. I'd opt for AP parts myself since the ABS will match up pretty well, especially when weathered. The problem is that the kits aren't often parted out. I honestly don't plan on buying another entire kit. Now if I could just find a short guy who prefers an accurate torso and inaccurate extremities.

The RT is good, but may look a little small with your height. I suggest the TE2, its the biggest most accurate helmet.

Is that true? I've always heard the RT-mod was the larger helmet since it wasn't based on the originals. Several folks on these boards have commented that the TE seems to be about 10% smaller than the originals. Is the TE2 larger than the TE? I thought they were the same molds.

As many have said, you'll probably be best with a frankensuit. Start with an FX base and swap out as many parts as you can. Most especially do the TE2 helmet. It's pricey but worth every penny.

Someone may ask: but the TE2 helmet is HIPS instead of ABS, so shouldn't they match? Answer: not really. Brian in my garrison - and soon myself - mix ABS armor with a TE2 lid and the results are fantastic.

Batches of ABS don't necessarily match, so that can't be relied upon anyway. Keep in mind that the ANH suits were glossy plastic with painted helmets that didn't match. When I did my TE suit I painted the helmet & armor two different whites. Its a very subtle effect, but lends to the authentic appearance.

I kept my AP suit as is (glossy ABS) and weathered it. I painted the helmet for the same effect

Batches of ABS don't necessarily match, so that can't be relied upon anyway. Keep in mind that the ANH suits were glossy plastic with painted helmets that didn't match. When I did my TE suit I painted the helmet & armor two different whites. Its a very subtle effect, but lends to the authentic appearance.