Dirt = Commitment vs Dirtier the Better

TD-0013

Greetings, everyone,

I've been out of the loop for quite a bit, but I'm back now. I haven't stopped trooping, and the Dune Sea Garrison has been quite active all this time. Anyhow, I was recently at the Rose Parade and I had the pleasure of meeting up with a few of my Sandie brothers and sisters, and while there I heard a rather disturbing statement.

I was talking to a Sandtrooper about his joining the MEPD, and he said that he was turned down because his gear wasn't dirty enough. It was plenty dirty from what I saw. Looked like he stepped off the sands of Tat. I also spent my New Years Eve cleaning a sandtrooper's gear. That's right, you heard me...I was cleaning it. He didn't look like a SANDtrooper, he looked like a POOPERtrooper. There was more brown then white, and that's just rediculous.

He also mentioned something along the lines of the MEPD requiring his gear to be that dirty, which amazed me.

I have been in the MEPD since it's earliest days, and it was Joe Musso and I that breathed new life into it and brought it back to life. I mention this only so that you all understand that I'm not some newbie showing up and causing a ruckuss. I've been here from the start, trust me.

We are sandtroopers, and our dirt has always been what sperates us from the desk troopers of the Empire. We work for a living, and our gear reflects that. Dirt is a badge of office to us all.

But there has to be limits.

There are some troopers on the "Deployed" page that look like their Dewbacks had explosive diarrea on them, and that's just not Sat, you know?

The goal is to have a dull WHITE suit accented with dirt in the crevaces, not a brown suit with tiny bits of white showing through the layered fodder.

Can we please set a standard and keep it the minimalist beauty that is shown in the films?

Just my two credits on the subject. A subject that we all hold very dear here in these halls of dirt and duty.

TD-0013,

CO Dune Sea Garrison - AZ, USA

MEPD

Greetings, everyone,

I've been out of the loop for quite a bit, but I'm back now. I haven't stopped trooping, and the Dune Sea Garrison has been quite active all this time. Anyhow, I was recently at the Rose Parade and I had the pleasure of meeting up with a few of my Sandie brothers and sisters, and while there I heard a rather disturbing statement.

I was talking to a Sandtrooper about his joining the MEPD, and he said that he was turned down because his gear wasn't dirty enough. It was plenty dirty from what I saw. Looked like he stepped off the sands of Tat. I also spent my New Years Eve cleaning a sandtrooper's gear. That's right, you heard me...I was cleaning it. He didn't look like a SANDtrooper, he looked like a POOPERtrooper. There was more brown then white, and that's just rediculous.

He also mentioned something along the lines of the MEPD requiring his gear to be that dirty, which amazed me.

I have been in the MEPD since it's earliest days, and it was Joe Musso and I that breathed new life into it and brought it back to life. I mention this only so that you all understand that I'm not some newbie showing up and causing a ruckuss. I've been here from the start, trust me.

We are sandtroopers, and our dirt has always been what sperates us from the desk troopers of the Empire. We work for a living, and our gear reflects that. Dirt is a badge of office to us all.

But there has to be limits.

There are some troopers on the "Deployed" page that look like their Dewbacks had explosive diarrea on them, and that's just not Sat, you know?

The goal is to have a dull WHITE suit accented with dirt in the crevaces, not a brown suit with tiny bits of white showing through the layered fodder.

Can we please set a standard and keep it the minimalist beauty that is shown in the films?

Just my two credits on the subject. A subject that we all hold very dear here in these halls of dirt and duty.

TD-0013,

CO Dune Sea Garrison - AZ, USA

MEPD

Kill the trouble-maker! J/K Whats up Kevin, long time no see! There is definitely something getting lost in the translation, as we have never turned anyone down for being not dirty enough/too dirty. Advice & critique is given from peer to peer, and the guidelines suggest staying screen similar. I would prefer to stick as close as possible to screen-accurate, and most are doing so. You describe it just as it should be, and I'd be interested in hearing from this individual so we can clear up any misunderstandings.

And make sure you ADD more dirt, please!

Actually, let's see some nice big, clear photos of the gear first. If you need to add a LITTLE more, we'll tell you, but welcvome to the ranks Sandie Brother.

TD-0013

And make sure you ADD more dirt, please!

Actually, let's see some nice big, clear photos of the gear first. If you need to add a LITTLE more, we'll tell you, but welcvome to the ranks Sandie Brother.

TD-0013

TD 0013,

My comment was CLEARLY a joke in regards to what was written earlier. If it was mistaken Florida Phil then I am sorry for misleading him. But I don't think it was. Glad you cleared it up though. It was all in fun and that is why I like this detachment so much. We have a good time here.

*eyebrow*

Okay, I get that the "more dirt" comment was a joke, and I'm cool with that, but I'm actually pretty serious about us looking like SANDtroopers, and not POOPERtroopers. The gear should look as if it's "dirty" from serving on Tatooine, not "covered in fecal matter".

So, yes... Don't take the jokes seriously, but take my intial post and the concerns raised very seriously.

Not upset, just making it clear, that's all.

I wouldn't be too concerned since no one here condones the sewer-trooper look. The vast majority of people here recommend and follow the "Braksbuddy" weathering tutorial. More often than not people are told by their peers to tone it down rather than cake it on.

Looking at the sandy group pictures from the TORP, there was only one very heavily dirtied trooper, most were in the "normal" range as Seth describes. I suspect this is representative of our group as a whole.

i've always been a bit put off by pooptroopers. my armor is real dirty when you see it up close, but often in pics it washes out to where i just look like a different color than the TKs.

but i sanded all of the gloss out of my AP suit, so if that's not commitment, i don't know what is!

Well, looking back on my own progress, it's hard to know what's enough or not enough when you're first starting out. For almost a year, I redid the dirt scheme on my FX armor three times.

When I got my second TE suit, I did the Braksbuddy method but with my own technique for even more added realism. In the process (and trial and error with the first FX suit) I learned that "less is more."

So, my only advise is keep doing it over, and less is more.

I went from this...

Posted Image

To this...

Posted Image

I agree, my first attempt was not enough, my second attempt was too much. My third attempt wasn't too bad, but it was too dark. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now but it took a lot of practice to get there. The Fullers made the difference for me, I found it hard to achieve the desired effect with paint alone. I also think there is a tendency to start out too heavy. Of course, the ideal methods are topical and removable so you can re-do it and learn from your mistakes.

I guess you need to figure out whats making your armor dirty, since sand doesn't

Maybe some work in the motor pool, or the stables.

I think you should be as dirty as you want, it's your costume