TE2 vs. AP Armor

Hellraiser

My question is not about accuracy or quality, but strictly SIZE....

I'm thinking of picking up a TE2 suit.

I have AP now and I'm perfectly happy with it but it seems a little small, size wise.

I fit into it but I'm probably approaching the upper limit (I'm 5'11", 190 lbs.) of it's comfort/wearability.

Is the TE/TE2 Armor the same size as the AP suit?

Bigger? Smaller? And if either of these...how much so.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

The TE helmet is bigger then the AP but i'm not sure if the same can be said for the armor

Naw... I own three TE helmets and assembled about six AP helmets. They are the same size (again, derived from the same molds).

The TE i clouser to the camera, maby that why its seems bigger then the AP.

Also the face part is pull longer down on the TE, so you get more "air" between the eyes and bow trim.

Therefor is the helmet bigger, and longer.

Also AP has mold hes so you can see where to cut it out, TE has not (as far as i know).

So you can cut the TE parts out bigger, the AP e.g the ears left and right.

I only got two AP´s, so i can size them up size to size.

Best regards.

Rolf

From what I can gather, the molds for the AP helmet have seen better days and are slightly off in some places. It's not a bad thing, still a great helmet, especially for doing a Hero style bucket. The assembly of the bucket also has a lot to do with the final sizing. The pre-made holes on the AP helmet are actually wrong. If you ignored the holes and put it together differently, using a TE bucket assembled by Matt G as reference, then things would look more similar.

But, one thing is for sure, the bumpy cap molds that TE2 and Gino have (moreso Gino's, I think it's seen less pulls) are the most accurate in terms of actual size.

While I can't get confirmation, I believe that the AP stuff is made in a professional vacuum forming shop. I've looked into them, and they generally won't do pulls on materials like plaster, hydro-stone or MDF... they generally require all molds to be in aluminum for more reliable and easier pulls. If the original GF molds (now AP) have been re-made in aluminum, then that would account for the small differences in some of the details. Not a bad thing at all, don't get me wrong... just making an observation. But, Charlie/Crashmann and I have really examined the inside of AP suit and see a vareity of tells from different materials. There are also lots of curious techniques being used that perplex us... some that we can only attribute to a professional vac-forming facility.

Just FYI, a local vac-forming company in Baltimore charges $60 a sheet and only pulls off aluminium molds.

We never got ower hands in a real anh full kit suit yet.

TE anh helmet rotj suit modify to a anh kit.

GF gets it, give it to AP.

TE in hips.

AP in abs.

I think its up to the one what to like most.

So we never got a total 100% screen accurate anh suit yet.

TM has done he´s own and have he´s awesome version of an anh hips suit.

Regards.

Rolf

One thing is for sure. The AP I have is not built for speed. I have already put some cracks in the stressed areas like the Abs and a knee plate. Just from fitting it and wearing it around the house. My old RT never cracked. It was alot thicker too.

The AP is nice to look at though. Yesterday I suited up and just stood in front of the mirror and looked at it. Its too cool. I have been marching up and down the street to field test it for the Rose Parade too and the neighbors are like....WHAT THE **** IS THAT?!

I think the molds may actually be made of composites. I see evidence of repair and there are alot of holes drilled for better vacuum. Judging from the untrimmed parts I got it also looks like they are mounted on a flat surface to keep thier shape. I also think that he is using a 0.060 guage thickness and not 0.080 as he claims. The stuff is pretty thin.

I think nearly all the parts on both TE and AP are too small.Not much mind you,but still smaller than the original ANH suit's.I'm not sure how the AP moulds came to be,but I know from experience that plastic shrinks once it's formed so everytime it's recst it get's smaller.I believe GF recast one of TE's ROTJ suit's,which was recast from a real ROTJ suit,so it will naturally be smaller.Now depending on how much work,trimming,sanding GF did could make them even smaller.Now AP has the moulds who know's what,if any,mods have been made or shrinkage in the new mould making process?Same goes for the TE line.....

If you'd like some comparisons,give me some measurement's and I'll measure mine just for fun

-Paul.

I think nearly all the parts on both TE and AP are too small.Not much mind you,but still smaller than the original ANH suit's.I'm not sure how the AP moulds came to be,but I know from experience that plastic shrinks once it's formed so everytime it's recst it get's smaller.I believe GF recast one of TE's ROTJ suit's,which was recast from a real ROTJ suit,so it will naturally be smaller.Now depending on how much work,trimming,sanding GF did could make them even smaller.Now AP has the moulds who know's what,if any,mods have been made or shrinkage in the new mould making process?Same goes for the TE line.....

If you'd like some comparisons,give me some measurement's and I'll measure mine just for fun

-Paul.

Sounds COOL!!! paul.

I have been thinking of geting me a number 3 trooper.

I got 2 AP´s (first run).

Maby i go TM next time.