Helmet Interior - Help

hhuggins

A while back I used rubber cement to glue a liner in my bucket. The liner is made from a sheet of drawer liner - a perforated, rubbery material. I though the rubber cement was a good solution that would keep it in place, but also not be impossible to remove down the line. Over the summer, things got pretty hot in my garage and the rubber cement turned into a goopy mess. Now the liner is hanging out and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm afraid to try to clean out the remaining cement in fear of damaging the paint (I painted the interior black). I've also got custom made padding covered in a soft, black fabric in there. If I have to rip all of that out and repaint the interior, I'll cry myself to sleep.

What are other people using to secure liners in their helmets? Can anyone suggest an alternative glue that will hold this stuff in?

Thanks,

HH

I don't know about the liner in particular, but I've been using 'Plumbing Goop' as my adhesive of choice on all my armor assembly. I've used the stuff in the past (a different variety, though), and I've never had a problem with it melting due to heat or anything like that.

At Hobby Lobby, they carry a product called Presto-Felt < click for link to product

Its a 9" x 12" sheet of sticky back felt for $0.99. I used 2 sheets on my helmet interior. You can cut it however you need to - just peel and apply it directly to the surface. Then I just used black paint to fill in any areas that weren't covered with the felt.

The black interior helps cut down on light reflecting around inside (so people can't see your eyes through your lenses), and the felt helps with that "buckety" sound inside your helmet too - for both your hearing and when you speak into a mic.