MG34 Bipod question

Hey people,

I need some advice/tips on how to scratch build an MG34 bipod.

i've looked into butchering an aluminium camera tripod or taking the legs off a microphone stand but to be honest i'd rather try and make one somehow out of materials at hand rather than purchase and destroy something. also the MG i have is really light (as a feather) i dont know what make it is, the details aren't very sharp, its a bit crap really.

any spark of inspiration will be great to get me started.

thanks

Posted Image

This nonfunctioning bipod was an afterthought when I built my MG-34 (still a work in progress). I took leftover 1/2" PVC pipe, sliced it down the middle, and used a heat gun to deform the "feet". I cut 3 small sections of a wooden dowel to separate and connect the two halves. I screwed this assembled piece to a small section of 1/2" PVC.

Really cheap to make as I had everything I needed.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Boingo i think Rocko beat you to it there. cheers to you both, i've gone with the pipe split and dowl route for now. hopefully, with all the BFG action going on at the moment i should be able to get my grubby mits on the Lewis or MG-15 soon.

heres to packing sereoiusly big equiptment

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but I was planning to include pics created by dropping the bipod on my flatbed scanner (meaning little or no perspective distortion), and some measurements.

Anyway ...

I have com across an MG34 bipod for sale, which, of course, you or sombody else might be interested in at International Military antiques

You may find, like me, that buying a few real parts may be more useful than building replica pieces yourself.

I wouldn't know what to do with it!! a real one would be too heavy, don't have the knowledge or resources to cast it, and i'm skint!! for now i'll bodge something together. the gun its going on is a POS anyway. i'm holding out for one of them lovely MG15's that ArsonSmith is crafting.

thanks for the info though mate, my skills are limited as is my spare time so i want to keep it simple.

Because of their shape, I imagine the legs would be ideal for vacuuforming. The rest of the parts could be recreated with bits of pipe and other miscellaneous hardware store items, or by mixing up some polyester resin (fibreglass resin), letting it harden, then carving the hardened block.

If I can post or send some measurements, would that help?