AP PVC armor

Rolf

AP aka autentic props offer a full anh armor stunt helmet version kit for 450 dollars + shipping 75 dollars in us 175 dollars over seas, now in 60 thick pvc plastic.

Normal price is 800 dollars + shipping for a full kit, 80 thick abs plastic.

What do you think... is pvc 6o thick good for trooping, or what. or

Regards troops.

i don´t know much about the flexibility of pvc but it think it might be ok for trooping if you try to be careful and don´t troop very often in it.

the hardcore troopers here, who also want to sit down or troop very often in it should get the thicker material!

the price is a really good deal if you only want to display the suit on a mannequin!

that´s only my 2 cent, but i´m not familiar at all with the different kinds of materials and characteristics of these.

maybe paul can give some answers.

who in this world but him could know! he has the knowledge and experiences!

I emailed Mark about a week ago. He stated that it would be I asked him about the differences and the thickness. He stated that it's more firm and thinner than ABS but will be durable to withstand trooping and have more detail because it's thinner plastic. He needs enough interested people to "request" it. He wants a $200 deposit up front. If he gets enough people, the production will start in November 2006. He's calling the PVC armor the "econo" kit due to price difference of PVC and ABS (price is cut in half).

I am highly considering this due to saving $400+

Here is Mark's email address to order the econo kit or ask questions...

authenticprops@hotmail.com

If anyone signs up, please start a new thread!!! I think more will sign up once they see others doing it

some people lay down PVC on the floor

it´s a very resistant material for the kitchen or other rooms where a lot of people workin

and it´s very flexible

pvc pipes are very sturdy

so i think if you get the right mix you will have a material like in Pauls pictures

ok

i think paul didn´t use some kind of pvc

but paul

you show us these nice pics

how thick is the material?

back to the PVC AP topic; I find it humorous that the price drop is justified by PVC material being cheaper than ABS. Seeing as it takes about $100 max. worth of ABS to make a trooper suit, I'm surprised that changing material drops the price in half. Unless it's much easier to pull & release in PVC (I doubt it), there has to be a catch.

I think we might not find out what the drawbacks are until after people start receiving them out and have a chance to evaluate them.

As for Paul's armor flexibility, AWESOME! I've ALWAYS thought that at least the ROTJ suits were like this. I refered to it as "spatula rubber".

Remember this shot?:

Posted Image

I think we might not find out what the drawbacks are until after people start receiving them out and have a chance to evaluate them.

As for Paul's armor flexibility, AWESOME! I've ALWAYS thought that at least the ROTJ suits were like this. I refered to it as "spatula rubber".

Remember this shot?:

Posted Image

That's the one! Sure as heck isn't ABS.

back to the PVC AP topic; I find it humorous that the price drop is justified by PVC material being cheaper than ABS. Seeing as it takes about $100 max. worth of ABS to make a trooper suit, I'm surprised that changing material drops the price in half. Unless it's much easier to pull & release in PVC (I doubt it), there has to be a catch.

The AP email stated:

PVC is flexible with same gloss finish than ABS but way less expensive, easier and faster to form, reducing our production cost in half

You have to wonder what the catch is.

It is strange. According to Matt G. they tried to do some PVC trooper helmets early on, and they were a pain to free from the moulds. The forming itself only takes a few minutes, it's getting moulds out that takes some time. The reasons given in that email seem pretty flimsy if you know much of anything about vac forming. I know AP uses a professional former, but still; I don't get it. That only means they can form more at once, unless PVC is more flexible and has more "memory" I can't imagine freeing the moulds would be any easier than with ABS or HIPS.

Awesome pics, TM.

As far as PVC goes, I've worked a good bit with PVC foam (expanded PVC), but never with PVC sheeting. In fact, I'd never even heard of sheet PVC until this came up in another thread recently. I checked with Mcmaster, and they stock white PVC sheets in a variety of thicknesses, but also stock PVC/ABS sheets and PVC/acrylic sheets. I've never handled any of these, but it seems there may be more than one material being referred to as "PVC".

Sorry RoCKo,but I don't know about PVC yet from experience,just that I know it's available in different grades.I think you'd want less firm if you want to troop in armour,something that will flex without cracking,something like..........

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Paul

WOOOWWWW!!! , what is this

Its really... REALLY COOL Paul.

Ill think we all have some storrys about geting hurt, or cut buy ower armor while trooping ex.

This Rubber luxus anh armor off yours, will be to troop like in your best pyjamas. {SMILIES_PATH}/peace.gif

Out standing {SMILIES_PATH}/8.gif

Ill talk to autentic props aka Mark to day.

He´s say that they still are in progress off finding the best flexible pvc plastic for trooping armor kit, before starting the project on it.

Still 450 dollars + shipping for a full anh kit.