Scratch-built MG-15 (lotsa pics)

I just finished my first scratch-built BFG. It still needs a coupla little tweaks (still working on the best solution to the mag swirls and the eye cup), but I'm pretty pleased so far. The grip and front scope were from a cheap airsoft shotgun and everything else was from the hardware store. Thanks to TK409 for the tutorial that started me down this path.

Here are a few pics. A lot of the weathering doesn't show in the pics, but you get the idea. The paint used on the rear receiver was rustoleum hammered texture paint in dark bronze, and I highly recommend it.

-Tom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Very nicely done! freakengine

You can find the rubber snooper scope eye shield at old camera shops (second hand camera shops) some older SLR cameras had the rubber shield.

Hey, what did you use for the cap on the receiver end? I'm trying to figure that part out as well as the ribs on the ammo cylinders?

Nice gun

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I hope to continue to work on the details as I go along.

@ TK8828: The cap on the butt end of the receiver is just a black PVC pipe plug. It was intended to go over a smaller size of pipe, but I inserted it into the larger size. It wasn't quite the right diameter, but a couple of layers of duct tape and it fit very snugly.

The ribs on the drums are made from vinyl stair treads that can be found at the hardware store, like these: http://www.robertbrooke.com/stairtreads ... vinyl.html . Mine weren't quite like the ones on that site. They were black and didn't have the wraparound, but they were cheap and had good ridges. I just screwed them into place on each end, and CA-glued any sections that wanted to pop up.

-Tom

I think the strap on the saddle drum was removed for the movie.

I wouldn't doubt it, but I haven't seen any pics to confirm one way or the other. I'd love to see them if someone has them.

Also unlike the real mg-15, I understand the movie versions lacked the cocking lever and slot, since the receivers were resin castings. Anyone have hard proof on this? Mine is simply anecdotal evidence added to the fact that i can't see the cocking lever in any of the pics I have.

-Tom