Let's talk power supplies

There's nothing worse than running out of batteries half way through a long troop and your helmet lenses start to fog up. Because of this, I elected to use a USB power bank. I followed ukswrath's Gen 4 tutorial over at FISD to create my setup. It's nice having 12v and 5v power that will last all day and then some. My power supply is an older model though so I've looking at cheaper/higher capacity MaH replacements on amazon. Right now I have my eye on this: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXQCZAP/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2U47PYX41741F&coliid=I889MM0YOCJWY

What are you guys using?

• Upvote 2

I'm just upgrading to the ukswrath bracket and fans, but I have my double tap fan setup using an anker usb power bank. I have never run out of juice during a troop, but i always keep a spare in one of my pouches just in case (those pouches do tend to come in handy haha)

Ive been using a 5v 3000mah usb cell (smallest i can find and fits in back tube of helmet) 2 5v 1500rpm centrifugal fans lasts close to 12 hours non stop on my setup but not running anything else off the circuit. 

Will pickup another but 1500mah for the TKtalkie when its ready for testing, can hide it in the shoulder pouch where my 10W aker is..  

Have also been looking at the Anker PowerCore 5000 line a lot of power in a small foot print only 5V 2A though..  

After talking to you yesterday, I'll be ordering a separate power supply for my TKTalkie and storing it in my shoulder pouch as well. I'll  cut the piece of wood in the pocket down so I can fit the TKTalkie and power in one of the sleeves. The amp will go in the tool pouch. 

Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VYGJ3TW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795410502&pf_rd_r=V20A2PWNH84GMMZ7T62X&pd_rd_wg=eMUsg&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=ppyut&pf_rd_i=tube+style+usb+power+bank&pd_rd_r=3FN3SE70N7C1DCVXTXQ1&psc=1

3 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

After talking to you yesterday, I'll be ordering a separate power supply for my TKTalkie and storing it in my shoulder pouch as well. I'll  cut the piece of wood in the pocket down so I can fit the TKTalkie and power in one of the sleeves. The amp will go in the tool pouch. 

Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VYGJ3TW/ref=sxr_pa_click_within_right_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2795410502&pf_rd_r=V20A2PWNH84GMMZ7T62X&pd_rd_wg=eMUsg&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=ppyut&pf_rd_i=tube+style+usb+power+bank&pd_rd_r=3FN3SE70N7C1DCVXTXQ1&psc=1

This is exactly what i will be doing as well. since my 10W aker is already in the tool pouch on shoulder its just logical to put the TKtalkie, power and bluetooth mic receiver in there.. ill post up pics and stuff when i get to that point..   

1 hour ago, dutchy said:

My power setup is plain and simple..I have a 9 volt battery attached with velcro in my helmet and that works like a dream. Except when it's empty :P

:salute:

Once you make the switch to a power bank you will never want to deal with batteries again. 

30 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Once you make the switch to a power bank you will never want to deal with batteries again. 

I don't use it that often so a battery does the trick for now.

But I do believe that a powerbank is better than a battery set up

:salute:

I wish I COULD fit a power bank in my TD bucket- I have a 3200mah in my Snowie powering 3 fans and love it, but in my TD I'm restricted to 4 AA batteries spread out in the 'roll' at the neck, and one fan. I have a really big head.

Sent from the far side of Mos Eisley

In addition to my helmet power cell i picked up a while ago, i just picked up the following at a deal 19.99 for the set.. Check out radio shacks,  Will test out this weekend and report back..  Should be good for the TKtalkie me thinks.. 

https://re-fuel.com/grab-n-go-family-pack.html

I got my 2600mAh battery yesterday. It's basically a 18650 battery with a board. I am hoping that the Teensy can survive an all day troop with one. For $6, I might pick up a few more though. 

http://a.co/5i4PGG2

My Anker arrives next week so I'll be able to see how everything fits in the shoulder pouch soon :) 

The re-fule sources work great, just dont use the docking station for changing its useless, plug in directly and they all charge well.. 

One kept the TKTalkie running the loop for almost 16 hours.. I would say they are sufficient. Do like the source i got for helmet fans better though the black-web 2800 lasts a lot longer.. But for 19 for 3 Re-fule 2600's im not complaining lol

Troop on all.. :duim: