Radio Face Plate project

TD-1536

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike

that looks awsome next time we have a event i got to get a good look at it. im still tring to get my pack together.

Are you going to be at Shoreleave, Saturday? I hope to have it done by then.

Some Updates ?

regards bjoern

I spent the last two days making the final molds and cleaning them up.

Parts include: Radio face plate, Bellows dome, scoop (two parts), twenkie, and I even made a small dome for the bottom of the 'bee stinger' and the box housing for the exhaust pipe on the top right side of the 'Move Along' trooper. Seven pieces total.

I had just enough time last night to pull two sets for myself to assemble and fit. The face plate did not come out 100% as perfect as I would've liked, but I have two molds made in hydrocal that can be cleaned up.

In short, I need to test-fit all this stuff, make sure it looks and assembles okay, then modify the molds accordingly and go to market. Aside from some pictures, I'll have that info for you fine folks some time next week.

What dimensions are you going with on these radio boxes? Width, depth and height?

Jim

off the top of my head, they are 6.5in. wide, by 8.75in. tall.

Deep is not a consideration because it's just the face. The sides need to be built up using sheet plastic. As a vac-former, I think you know how difficult it would be to free a square mold.

What dimensions are you going with on these radio boxes? Width, depth and height?

Jim

Deep is not a consideration because it's just the face. The sides need to be built up using sheet plastic. As a vac-former, I think you know how difficult it would be to free a square mold.

Thanks for those dimensions. Yes a square box would be a nightmare, but I am currious, how deep the radio box is suppose to be?

Jim

Jim

Thanks for those dimensions. Yes a square box would be a nightmare, but I am currious, how deep the radio box is suppose to be?

Jim

My guess would be somewhere between 2.5in. and 3in. deep total. Reason I'm guessing is because I just assembled my first, complete radio box with a 2in. depth and I don't think it's right.

Mile what have you used for the MVU? It's cool as ****

The top two parts - what I call the Twenkie, and the Scoop - I sculpted from scratch, then vac-formed them and assembled. The dome I also sculpted from scratch to fit perfectly inside the top of four Tupperware Hamburger stackers. Stick the Jello cup on the bottom, stick a Metamcil bottle in that and you're done!