My pack's progress

SethB6025

I've finally gotten to start work on my pack; here's a progress shot. It's on a temp PVC frame for now because I want it troopable asap. I'm building it so the frame can be switched out easily to something better.

Posted Image

(that's primer BTW, not the final color)

Also, for everyone using the burger stacks; I cut off the second small lip on the edge and I think it looks much better. It's easy to do too, just use a razor blade and peel it like an apple.

GREAT PACK, seth! really, really good job on the boxes, bro!

i´m so excited for my boxes...

are these "our" burger stacks? what box did you use for the small in the upper corner? maybe i will try to get one of these too, if your still willing to be my sidekick???

Thanks! Actually those are some stacks I already had, yours are still safely untouched. Though my wife wanted to know if you wanted the little lid for them. But I wouldn't mind snagging four if you can spare them. (yes, that's the sound of another pack)

That is the "stow n' go" container, and I don't mind a bit. You shouldn't have to wait much longer for the "care package", it'll just be a couple weeks before I have the final addtion.

Hey Seth,

1. What are you using for the primer paint?

2. What are you thinking for the domed top on the stackers?

3. Did you use the lid on the Stow N' Go or do something else to blank it off?

4. Do you know if Mike is going to use that aluminum backpack frame he showed on the other thread?

I JUST got my burger stackers 15 mins. ago and was contemplating those ridges you mentioned, EXCELLENT IDEA to spruce them up a bit! I have a vintage Boy Scout backpack frame, and a Stow N' Go on the way from the e-auction site as well. WOO HOO!!

Hey Seth,

1. What are you using for the primer paint?

2. What are you thinking for the domed top on the stackers?

3. Did you use the lid on the Stow N' Go or do something else to blank it off?

4. Do you know if Mike is going to use that aluminum backpack frame he showed on the other thread?

I JUST got my burger stackers 15 mins. ago and was contemplating those ridges you mentioned, EXCELLENT IDEA to spruce them up a bit! I have a vintage Boy Scout backpack frame, and a Stow N' Go on the way from the e-auction site as well. WOO HOO!!

I will be posting some pictures in the next week or so. I'm working on a new pack that's going to look great. My plan is to also sculpt and make available the 'elusive' parts, either in resin casts (like the radio face plate), or vac-formed. as well as the part that attaches to the side of the hamburger stackers/bellows. Stay tuned.

I'm using the lid on the stowe-n-go as a way to attach it to the main boxes, using rivets. The main body part of the stow-n-go will just snap in place.

I'm currently going with the aluminum vintage Boy Scout back pack frame.

For the dome on the hamburger stackers, I'm going to do one of two things: Sculpt it to form and vac-form it, complete with top details, or do what I did last time which was make a home vac 'ghetto' style using my vaccuum cleaner, a baby food can, and a heat gun to melt plastic in a dome shape.

Mike,

If you make the Radio face plate and the "vaporator" tubes for the side of the stackers available for sale you can count me in for a set or two.

I was thinking along the same lines as you to mount the Stow N' Go box, that would also make it an easy access place to put things too.

I think that instead of rivets I'm going to use those things that go in with a "pop rivet" gun, but it crimps in a threaded pocket so you can use screws.... dunno yet.

mike, you already can put me on the list of buyers...

i´ll be here, bro!

I did my first pull of the radio face plate this morning... came out a bit wonky, then again, my mold didn't form as planned. But, I think it 'might' be good for a one time use. I'll post some pictures later in the week when I get better results.

I'm sculpting everything in urethane foam, then coating it with polyester resin, sanding, wet sanding, then either prepairing it for vac-forming or a silicon mold. I'm kinda new to using the resin as an additional step, so I'm having to think a few steps ahead before doing something. Let's just say that I've sculpted two radio face plates so far, and while most would be content with them, I'm going to do it a third time because I want perfect results that everyone can be happy with, especially if you're paying for them.

thanks for this update, mike!

i know you as a perfectionist and i really appreciate all your work!

sounds like the backpack will be super-accurate!

can´t wait to see one of these...

Seth, it looks great, man. I gotta get finished with my binocs so I can get started trimming those boxes I got from you. I cut down the top posts on my boy scout frame last weekend, so now it's just a matter of time.

• 1 month later...

ive been searching for a vintage boy scout backpack frame, but all of the ones i come across are awkward shapes. did you guys have to do any cutting on yours?

All I had to do was cut about three inches off the top posts.

freakengine can you post any pics before and after shots also what do you guys use for straps on the boyscout frames

I'm afraid I didn't take any before pics, but here are a couple of after pics. I've tried indicating what I cut off with the red rectangle. I just removed the red rubber ends and replaced them onto the cut ends before painting the frame.

I haven't strapped my frame yet, but plan on using wide (3") elastic or webbing, depending on which feels more comfortable. The wider the better to distribute the weight of the pack.

-Tom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image