Shoulder strap padding

TD-352

The COSI event in Ohio revealed a big problem for me. I am rather thin, 155 pounds, so I am boney. I need a way to put some padding on the shoulder straps for my backpack. The pack doesn't weigh that much, but those straps were killin me. I trooped for about an hour with the pack on and had to take it off, it felt like a knife was going through my right shoulder. So my question is, how do you guys pad the straps? Any suggstions would be appreciated.

Sounds like me. No way to deal with it, than to just deal with.

However, if you haven't already, switch to a two-inch wide elastic for your back-pack shoulder straps. Distributing the weight across four inches, rather than two makes all the difference in the world.

...I don't pad at all (at 225lbs, who needs to)... BUT - I found that in order to take thr load off the armpit area, run the straps towards the inside of the chest and run them out the bottom of the chest peice towards the back - you can't tell any difference in how it looks, but it shifts the weight distibution more center mass instead of all on the shoulder joints..

I got some air conditioning foam from the hardware store and just duck taped it to the straps. It still wears on me after a while so I might have to try using the 2 inch straps.

I've heard some people actually sew shoulder pads from old suits (mainly women's) into their black undersuit, so they're instead not a part of the strap itself. I think I might have to try something like that.

Definatly go as wide on the strap as you can. A clasp that attaches the straps at the chest will really help too. You can get seat belt pads that just wrap and velcro onto the strap- but they will be bulky. I am going to use alice pack straps on my new pack- got them at the Army/Navy for $12.

What Mel said... I have some pretty good Pec & Deltoid muscles, and my straps ride nicely "between" my Pecs and Delts.

Rocko... I like your idea because I made a "Franken-Pack" that weighs 37lbs (16.78 kilos) because it has custom speakers, 100 watt amplifier, lighted rocker swithces, glowing EL wire that flashes to the music beat from my MP3 player, and is powered by a small 12volt lawn tractor battery hidden in the lower box. All that for a nighttime parade we just did in Portland, ORYGUN ......

37lbs. may not sound like a lot, and I used to pack a 60 - 120lbs. rucksack in the Army depending on our mission profile, but lugging 37lbs. around on your back for about 4 hours wearing full-on TD armor, a hot bucket on your head and sporting a BFG in a parade is taxing towards the end of it!!