CGI? We don't need no stinkin CGI!

DirtyBoy

Worried that Star Wars VII might rely a bit too much on CGI (hence the Jar Jar Binks pic above)? Well, the boss over at Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy, said that the production team is looking to go more New Hope-style this time around–they’re going to focus more on real locations and real people, and less on over-the-top special effects.

Kennedy had a few things to say to fans attending a Star Wars Celebration in Germany about this matter:

“The conversation we’re having all the time now about Episode VII is how much CGI. We’re looking at what the early Star Wars films did; they used real locations with special effects. So [for Episode VII] we’re going to find some very cool locations, [and] we’re going to end up using every single tool in the toolbox.”

She went on to note that some of the tools that Star Wars cosplayers use will probably end being used for the film:

“I was amazed yesterday, looking at what the fans are doing. Using model makers, using real droids, taking advantage of the artwork that you can touch and feel—we want to do that in combination with CG effects.”

“We have an amazing team at ILM,” Kennedy added, “who can create fantastic effects, but if we don’t have a great story and characters, the effects mean nothing.”

Looks like there’s some new hope (sorry) for the new Star Wars flick!

What are your thoughts?

CG has most certainly degraded sci fi and other films. While some may oooh and ah over Avatar,I walked out. I walked out more to lack of plot, but the lack of cool effects other than CG didn't help.

Question, since i'm only now getting back into Star Wars, after 30 years; which edition of the Star Wars DVDs are unaltered? WE Have the blue ray stuff, but I really would like to show my son the original.

I did look through the Force.net a little, but that community seemsto be on a different level than I, and I don't care to even post on that forum. I'll just lurk.

Sounds like promising news coming from the top. The great thing about Star Wars is that most things do not need to be re-created or updated. Most fans would respect a new Star Wars film that keeps things real and in touch with the originals. CG was overused in episodes 1-3, too clean and no gritty.

Sounds good!

What would really blow my mind is if they came to the 501st Legion and asked for a few troopers from various designations.

Even if they didnt pick me, knowing those are real troopers on screen with real armor and, most important, our brothers and sisters, would be more than enough for me.

One can only dream.

:)

Saludos.

Sounds good!

What would really blow my mind is if they came to the 501st Legion and asked for a few troopers from various designations.

Even if they didnt pick me, knowing those are real troopers on screen with real armor and, most important, our brothers and sisters, would be more than enough for me.

One can only dream.

:)

Saludos.

Woo hoo! That would be nice. I think this news is great though, just because its gonna be real actors, and not just voice overs. Much impressive. Gonna go old school!!

This is some of the greatest news yet! I have a friend who has been shooting Star Wars with Disney down since we heard the news. He has been so negative about Disney's ability to deliver a Star Wars we all fell in love with. Even after some news like this he still is negative about it haha...

I am beyond excited!

Lots of negativity out there about it but bottom line is anyone who's a true Star Wars fan is going to see it. Lets keep our fingers crossed we all walk out happy

True dat. I wasn't keen on the pre-qualms but still had to get them on bluray.

I think it was the landscapes in CGI that looked too weird. The characters and effects we re cool for the most part.

No more Gungan battles please.

I don't think they would be crazy enough to put that crap back in.