EFX armour - Thoughts and opinions ?

Joe Versku

According to Yodanews.com "The suit used for casting is one of only two Stormtrooper costumes known to have been sent to the U.S. during production of the original Star Wars"

2 things I'm thinking of -

1) Anyone know if they casted a Hero/Stunt armour ? RS is Stunt for all we know so if they casted Hero, would be good to know which one !

2) Remember the thread where everyone was worried about international customs officers looking out for SW armour in the post ? I was never quite convinced of that but I'm guessing this won't make their job any easier ! Unless EFX plan to print "Made in (insert country)" on every single piece of armour LOL

The price is thankfully through the roof. I say thankfully because it might encourage Joe Public who see it in say, Forbidden Planet, to actually do some research before buying !!!

It looks fine detail-wise and pre-FISD inspection. (I'm more partial to the Stunt look though. lol)

BUT... regardless of the use one will have for EFX armor, it is still cheaper and more FUN to build the suit on your own. There is a sense of accomplishment and pride when you see a suit of armor completed for trooping or for display purposes and knowing that you built it all yourself. :thumbsup:

Plus, for THAT price...you can bet your a$$ that the funds are going to TM or RS! :yes:

Nice conversation piece, but I'll pass.

It looks fine detail-wise and pre-FISD inspection. (I'm more partial to the Stunt look though. lol)

BUT... regardless of the use one will have for EFX armor, it is still cheaper and more FUN to build the suit on your own. There is a sense of accomplishment and pride when you see a suit of armor completed for trooping or for display purposes and knowing that you built it all yourself. :thumbsup:

Plus, for THAT price...you can bet your a$$ that the funds are going to TM or RS! :yes:

Nice conversation piece, but I'll pass.

AMEN! Going to somewhere else indeed. RS or TM

Looks pretty accurate and sweet, 2000$ is not that bad i think, i would had think they would take way more...

Who will be the first one getting one we can study :thumbsup:

Rumor...... is that $2000 includes the armor/helmet, under suit, gloves, boots , neck seal and possibly the e-11/ holster, oh and the belt.

and i agree with you Scrib, would prefer to build it.

Rumor...... is that $2000 includes the armor/helmet, under suit, gloves, boots , neck seal and possibly the e-11/ holster, oh and the belt.

and i agree with you Scrib, would prefer to build it.

According to some 'scouts' over at the SDCC, they say it's for the complete package. Still, if it's a 'costume', will they offering different sizes? (i.e. boots, gloves...shims? lol )

Not all troopers are built the same. Just a thought. If not, building one is definitely the best bet for newbies.

$2K is a good chunk of change. Eesh.

Over on FISD there's mention that its only one size with size 10 boots!!! All the strapping looks as per the origional with the bracket system.

I think this may be sold as a display suit and not for wearing!!!! Imagine the hassle eFX would have if/when people start wearing them only to have something snap/break/come undone after a few months, it would be quite a customer relations issue with who repairs ect.

Going to be interesting to see how their going to handle that? We understand, well expect things to break but Mrs Smith who buys it for Mr Smith for 2000 bucks wont expect that after a few months or even wearing for the first time.

I'm surprised that it's as accurate as it is. It looks good. Correct strapping and all, but of course, why get that when you can get a TM or RS that will actually fit you. I know from seeing that mannequin, it would not fit me without a ton of mods. Nice fancy display piece for whoever can afford it. :)

Looks quiet good if you ask me. But different markets require different products. I don't see this going for the 501st or costum enthusiast. More for the collectors. Anyway, If someone were to buy it and wear it to troops, I think it should be accepted no problem.

Agree anyway that for 2k usd I would rather go for a TM or RS.

One thing I too want to check is the neck seal. And probably the boots.

Saludoa.

My opinion?!?

I don't like the helmet...ok, I'm a hero fan too...but this helmet...mhhh, I don't know. But EFX has has already 2011 announced, that the hero helmet will coming....casted by an original helmet with the original parts....but it has so far done nothing. Is this product the endresult (I hope it's a proto typ), then I don't like this helmet and my opinion is....the hero trooper helmet by Troopermaster is the best hero helmet outthere...!!!

The armour...ok, it's really nice, good details...better then the other licensed products so far...but the price?...uuuuuuuuuh, really expensive, no ask. But like we know from EFX, they has the details cleaned up...like the ANH 'Legend Darth Vader' helmet...sry...nothing for me so far.

I have nothing personally against eFX or Gino or whoever else that have been said to have been involved in the production of this suit. But when someone talks up a TK armour as being THE most accurate out there, it's a bold claim if not a little arrogant in light of the existence of a 501st and the very vivid debates that have raged over accuracy and originality over the years. I hope eFX post up a detailed making-of video/photo/blog etc I'd wanna see that before giving credibility to their claims. Unless of course that's partly intentional in order to trend well in forums.

I do find it pricey. Others don't. I guess only eFX will know if that's a realistic pricing policy for them to sustain. My eyes still pop out at some of the prices I see in Forbidden Planet for various things. And I still can't figure out why TB armour (hard parts only) is so expensive compared to TK.... but I digress :woot:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just saw this thread and was reading the comments and was shocked at some of the posts.

I'm here to answer some of the concerns, questions, or misconceptions surrounding this suit.

I'll try to answer questions as best I can.

In the meantime, here are some facts about the EFX armor just to avoid any confusion.

The prototype suit was made in unpainted glossy HIPS, but the production run will be in the correct ABS.

The original suit is complete (with the exception of the hand plates which were crust on the gloves, and one of the belt rivet covers).

It is the only suit in known existence (even in the LFL archives) that is fully complete with original body suit, neck seal, thigh belt, and gloves.

There seemed to be some doubt/questioning about whether or not this armor was unequivocally the most accurate set ever made.

It most definitely is, and I'd be happy to explain why that is the case.

Not only that, but it is going to be made available to everyone!

Every piece was molded from the interior which gave us the ability to vac form very accurately each of the components.

Something that no one has ever been able to do before.

Also, on the prototype shown at SDCC was barely finished in time for the show.

So much so that I didn't get to complete the shoulder bells in time to ship.

So instead of having the display incomplete without shoulders, I used a set of my rotj shoulders as a stand in.

No worries though, the screen used shoulders will definitely be part of the final suit.

Someone referenced the RS suit so let me break it down for you.

Of course the RS guys molded an original suit. But their suit was missing the following armor components:

- shoulder connectors

- left bicept

- left forearm

- abdomen plates

- sniper knee

These are the areas of their suit that they did not take molds of from the inside.

And thus were scratch built.

- shoulder connectors

- abdomen plates

- thermal detonator plate and end caps

- main belt

- main belt rivet covers

- knee belt

- belt drop boxes

- sniper knee

Keep in mind that I am not bashing the RS guys. I consider them friends and it's uncontested that up to this point they had the most accurate ANH suit offering in all of fandom.

Not only that, but the original suit we had also came with the original gloves, body suit (which has specific details all in it's own), neck seal, and thigh belt.

However these are just the facts.

This is what makes this so special as it is an unprecedented offering.

It's what we've always wanted actually made available for the first time ever!

However since it is being sold as a prop and not a costume, it will not be available in sizes. It will be exactly the same size as the film suits.

Hopefully that covers the bulk of the misunderstandings.

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to field them as best I can.

Ok....go!

Here are some more posts i've made in other forums.

EFX STORMTROOPER ANH HERO ARMOR LEGEND EDITION

Yes, you read that correctly. No it's not a typo.

For the first time in history, EFX is doing what no officially licensed company has ever been able to do - produce Stormtrooper helmets and armor made in ABS just like the screen-used originals.

Take a quick breath….

And what was the basis for this armor? Where did it come from?

It just so happens that the original screen-used helmet we used to create the Legend Edition Stormtrooper Hero helmet also came with FULL AND COMPLETE ARMOR AND ACCESSORIES!

To the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY fully complete Stormtrooper from Star Wars: A New Hope in existence.

While some do exist in private hands as well as the Lucasfilm Archives, none of them are fully complete with all the accessories.

Here is a comp showing the original screen-used suit on the left and some of the instances it appears in the film on the right:

Posted Image

Every armor component was carefully molded to capture detail from the inside of the vac formed parts.

Every…component. Every one.

All the fabric based components were accurately patterned and recreated as well.

For most people, the very first time they have every laid eyes on an original body suit and neck seal. Just utterly incredible that these are still in existence and available to EFX.

Many including myself never thought that a day would come where we would be able to own a Stormtrooper suit as perfect and accurate as this.

It is as close as you can possibly come to owning an original.

It really is a dream come true.

Behold the STORMTROOPER in all it's beautiful glory as originally intended!

Coming soon from EFX.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you are all as equally as excited for these awesome new products as I am.

Let us know what you think and if you have any specific questions about them ask here and I'll try to pop in every now and then to answer them the best I can.

Hey guys, check out this teaser pic of the Stormtrooper Armor Legend I just posted on the eFX facebook page!

More pics to come sometime after next week.

https://www.facebook.com/efxinc

It's a new facebook page so be sure to LIKE IT when you visit.

Also, if you haven't been to my facebook page, here it is also:

https://www.facebook.com/starwarslifesized

Be sure to LIKE IT as well!

Guest Locitus

Someone referenced the RS suit so let me break it down for you.

Of course the RS guys molded an original suit. But their suit was missing the following armor components:

- left bicept

- left forearm

Sorry for interrupting.

It's true that they had to fabricate some parts, since some where missing (suit being a TD and all), or it would be destructive to mould them, but the arm pieces you say are missing are clearly not.

Posted Image

Posted Image