Back cut or not to cut?

Mortis

Hi, newbie here on a modification kick . I've read that cutting the back helps with mobility, sitting and bending. On the flip side of the coin numerous sites state it is an unneccessary step. What is the concensus before I commit to cutting?

welcome, I cut the ab about mid belt whiched helped alot with mobility. I left the back whole as this seemed to help plenty. I can bend over, kneel, sit, etc.. Of course getting back up is fun!!! G'luck

My experience was totally different. Cutting the ab plate did nothing for my mobility at all, and I'm not sure what I'd be gaining by cutting the back plate either, as in the end it's still an FX suit.

Actually I miss the structural integrity of having the cod piece attached, and wish I had never done it.

Of course YMMV, many folks seem to like it...

Appreciate the input. So other than staying true to canon armor I gather it does not add that much to flexability or really a neccessary step to do.

I dislike that it's possible for it to "tip outward" if not properly strapped. Hasn't really happened to me yet, but I've seen a few guys in pix who look like "excited" troopers.

as Brak already said, the screenused had the kidney plate cut and i think it makes a difference while moving!

i wouldn´t even call it a mod because the screenused armors are our references and if they had their backplate cut it is no real mod for me!

btw.: the screenused armors didn´t had the abplate cut.

I am in TOTAL agreement with you. I don't feel like I gained anything from having a cut ab plate as the thickness of the formed belt kept you from taking advantage of the seperation anyway, and like you, I HATED that crotch piece was not entirely stable afterwards. When I make another suit, there is NO WAY I will seperate the ab from the crotch.

Aso, while some disagree, I have seen NO evidence of a cut ab plate in the movie.

My experience was totally different. Cutting the ab plate did nothing for my mobility at all, and I'm not sure what I'd be gaining by cutting the back plate either, as in the end it's still an FX suit.

Actually I miss the structural integrity of having the cod piece attached, and wish I had never done it.

Of course YMMV, many folks seem to like it...

So, cutting the BACK is recommended? ... I can't bend at all in my custom suit (non FX - non TE) and when I drop anything, I just can't do anything about it... That AND the back strain that comes from having the backpack combined with the lack of ability to bend anything between the chest and waist.... ???????

on a side note, if you're wearing an FX kit, cut both the front and back pices in half. I did so, and because the way the belt sits on the ab, the crotch comes up more, allowing for easier bathroom use and movability. I could sit down with relative ease in my FX.

With my TEs... different story. ab piece is not cut, back/kidney is. While sitting is not as easy as it was in the FX, I have been able to drive in it!

From my experience I would say that you need to cut the ab/cod plate for better mobility rather than the butt plate.It was still hard to bend down for me with the ab cut,and you must strap it properly or will stick out or ride up and restrict your movement.

I cannot say cutting the butt makes any noticable difference,it's the front that does all the bending!

If you have the FX suit,I saw somewhere that the cod was cut off and then strapped to the belt,kinda hanging there 'hinged' from the belt.I suppose that would really ease with bending down.

Let us know how you get on

-Paul.

Quite a bit of info. I am wearing the FX armor I've already cut the cod and it does offer a bit of flex (albeit not much). Along with that I did the leather belt mod to add or subtract room as neccessary with the snaps up front on the ABS portion. I find it surprising that the separation of the butt section really offers no advantage. Thanks to all who replied

i didn´t it but i weared one from a friend i hate it !

my mfx came with 2 pice back plate

it´s more comfortable

is yours a one piece?

and what expecaly do you hate?

yes mario my ab plate and the cotpiece was a onepiece !!

and we both wear the mfx .. but u know there are very diffrent

moulds at all !

i dont like it because it is too flexible ...

i don´t feel free to run or to sit down in a car ...

but perhaps i don´t like it because i accustom to the onepiece !

After having to get in and out of a shuttle van in full armor today, I'd like to revise my statement and am thankful for that little bit of flexibility that having the code cut offered.

The main barrier for me sitting though was the thighs, as I couldn't bend my legs far enough. Thankfully no one with a camera was taking pictures - it was awful :(

I thought about that but my concern is showing too much black in the back of the knee area. When I look at screen grabs the backs go pretty far down, esp. compared to the newer FX thigh. The top of the thighs as I wear them are high which also prevents the sitting, as they dig into my hips when I lift my leg too much. I suppose I can let the legs ride down lower, but then it seems there's too much black again showing between the belt and the thight compared to the screen grabs.

Perhaps I'm just too sensitive to the issue of showing too much black, or perhaps I just trust myself with a dremel! But in truth what I think I really need to do is to get a new set of thighs and sculpt them to match my frame.

Back to thread, it does make me consider cutting the butt plate as well, just to see how it works. If it's bad, getting a replacement back piece is easy enough...

I would go for cutting the backs of the knees for comfort.There were lots of different sized troopers in ANH so some showed more black in places than others so I wouldn't worry about it

Cut the butt plate too,it only adds to authenticity.I doubt you will fell much difference but it will look cool

If you really want to see the extremes of "too much black showing behind the knees" , did out (or dig up, if you've buried it in the yard) your copy of the HOLIDAY SPECIAL and check out the trooper that smashes Lumpy's computer. Now he's lanky!