Backpack Strapping Worry

Elegance

Hey guys,

Im just getting some pre-trooping nerves coming on (im a worrier with ocd), Ive been reading a lot of build/backpack threads and all the strapping used seems to be a lot thicker that what I have which is 1inch wide webbing which has been riveted around the frame to fix it.

I given it a good pull (oooeeerrr) and it feels ok but does anyone else use this type of set up or will it be worth changing for something else sooner rather than later.

I can post some pics later of the set up.......

Its gona be my first TD outing so dont want any issue's while looking for those droids.

Thanks guys.

hey neil,

i also use the 1 inch strapping and have only had one malfunction due to my error with a buckle. Apart from that not a worry at all.

If you have riveted it, which i have also done you will not have a problem, the packs weigh nothing so theres no real weight to shear

a strap. Sounds like you got it covered.

Niel,

I agree with these guys. I have 1" and don't even feel my pack. I use a chest strap as well, keeps them from slipping on my shoulders. I use rivets as well and a PVC frame, never any issues. I did make the strap long enough to loop around the frame once to add support, and buckles to put together. Like Scott said, that was my only issue in the past, one slipped out. I E-600 the ends now, once you have them in the right place. I also purchased seat belt covers that are about 8" long and black, They slip over the straps perfect for added cushion and comfort. Not sure if you can get them in the UK? Have fun.

Contrary to some of the other opinions here Neil, I used 2" backpack straps that were riveted to the pack frame and they sheared even before I had trooped with it. So I ended up having to wrap them in gaffa tape and tie wrap them to the pack frame. Was the only way they'd stay put. I would recommend if you are a bit worried about them shearing that you come up with a contingency like that which I did just to be safe. Last thing you want is for your pack to fall off when trooping.

Nick

Got some new 50mm replacment backpack straps cheaply from Amazon which have metal

strips either end along with some caibenas to have a play around with over the weekend.

Prob overkill but like im said im a ocd worrier!!!

Out of interest does anyone know the screen accurate version?

• 2 months later...

Ok, finally got round to taking some pics of my new strap I have attached using bolts rather than rivets which feel a lot more secure that rivets and I can easily remove if necessary. So im happy I have good 50mm wide straps with larger and stronger quick release clips. As always comments/ideas appreciated guys. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Blimey, my shoulders are really sore from Sunday.

I trooped and kept the pack on for 6 hours to get used to it for Legoland and still suffering now, is that normal or should I just stop crying like a little girl and get on with it???

Think I'll just ditch that padding.........