Playing Your Part

Elegance

Hi guys,

Im sure you all aware that im new to the TD world but I want to portray the role of a TD as best I can when out trooping.

So how you act when on duty? Are there any tips you could share that you use like stopping and searching people ect ect, things that work well and those that dont.

It would be really helpfull to me for sure.

thanks

Neil

Well being in the UKG mate, you will find a mix of styles. Some people from my experience dont interact enough with the public, and some interact too much, (stuff like making people do press-ups and searching through bags is too much in my opinion).

I generally use the lines from the film as a TD. "Move Along" gets them every time. "How long have you had these droids?" is always good for interacting with families (point at the kids) and play along if someone tries the mind trick on you.

I always like to pick on mum's and nice looking young ladies, especially ones who are with their boyfriends, who want a photo and tell them "I knew they liked it dirty" but you have to be careful with that around some younger kids.

Just guage your audience. You can interact too much, and be in their face, but pick your time, let them take some photos and then tell them to "Move Along" that way everyone gets time with you. High 5s are a great ice breaker for kids, especially the ones who arent too sure about you.

Are you trooping Legoland? If so we'll have some great fun there.

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Yes I'll be at Legoland, im staying at Langley, like most of the UKG lol. Ive done a few troops and yeah seen some quite "forcefull" stuff by a few members which made me uncomfortable.

Ive trooped with a couple of great guys since my induction at Excel and picked up little tips here and there but tips from seasoned troopers like you and the others here are really helpfull,I think the interaction is the big part of it. I shall especially keep an eye out for the "nice" looking ladies lol, thats one I'll be trying for sure...........

Interaction is a good thing. I shy away from pointing blasters at people, Army habit i guess but i don't like doing it. High fives with kids is great and of course the move along lines are great. just keep searching for those droids mate. Like nick said, gauge your audience and don't be too loud or forceful.

If you dont have one get youself a Aker mike kit, great way to interact with people.

I feel each troop is different...with enough experience you adjust to the crowd and the event...as suggested above...interact as needed and weapons, may stay in the holisters at times.

Be as professional as can be...but most of all have fun...the first time is always over whelming dont over do it...this is just my experiences and opinion...you will find you own limits.

.....seasoned troopers like you and the others here......

I hope I've not given you the wrong impression. Ive only been trooping for a year mate, but I do take it seriously (I have fun but make sure I'm in character and like to make sure everyone enjoys meeting me).

The other thing you can do is to try and get your american accent up to scratch, because that helps the illusion too.

Nick

The cool thing about Sandies is that we are the original troopers on patrol so all the quotes we have from ANH lend themselves to trooping really well. Nothing more I can add to all the good points that have already been said above. Like you I'm not a big fan of the "forceful" approach and try to stay sensitive to the public's reaction.

Don't worry about sounding repetitive and also, know when to walk away. I remember at MCM I approached a group of cosplayers in the queue (who up til then had been very receptive) and said my "lines" but the kid I approached wasn't a fan. Plus he was in front of his peers so needed to show off a bit by being too cool for school. He was mildly unkind shall I say and it annoyed me but then I reminded myself he's entitled to his opinion. I stopped the act and just walked on. 2 meters along the queue I had the more usual appreciative crowd hoping for a picture. ;-)

It's something you'll pick up as you do it mate. Remember, the punters aren't interested in "you" they're interested in the "sandtrooper". Like others have said, stay in character, be professional, know your crowd and be happy to meet them!

I did my first ever troop with the ukg at mem 2001. I just stood around and hardly spoke - this was simply because it was new and I had no clue what to do. You'll now find me looking for funny things to get up to with everyday things I.e. queuing up at the ice cream van, stopping cars with kids in the back and asking the parents "how long have you had these kids, let me see your identification" , and of course there's the old classic of find a quiet place by the entrance (before the punters see all the characters) and playing statue - then suddenly talk or walk as they're stood next to you.

It's all good fun, Neil, you'll pick it up on your first hour, I promise!

One thing i will add is, you'll notice that the punters love the TDs. All they will see is masses of TKs then they suddenly spot the dirty troopers with big blasters, pouches, big guns etc and they're straight over for pics!

Ill echo what Nick said, work on an American accent if you can. Only the imperial officers were British ;)

I am a bit late to the party but would like to share my experience and tips if you dont mind.

:)

As has been said, no other character is as appropriate to patrol and check up people as Sandtroopers. Also, we are very distinctive to the rest of the shiny guys and most people will love and be amazed by BFGs and gear. They now we are the tuff guys of the empire. So use that in your advantage.

Gather with a bunch of Sandtroopers, 3, 4 or up to 6 would do. And march along together. No need to be "marching" of course, but act like the troopers in the Cantina, Alley and even at the dune sea. Just wander around and check up people and stuff.

If possible, get everyone to gear different pauldrons and try to stay within some order, with a CO, probably an orange pauldron trooper. He can lead and if it is visible, you will appear as an organized military team and not like a bunch of guys dressed up as Imperial Soldiers.

Also, can act not only as soldiers guarding places or marching, but sandtroopers can act like, well, police officers. And that also makes it more believable and reachable for ppl.

We also are the only not main character with lines that make sense. So, use that. As the guys said: look for droids, that always works.

You can go around looking for anything with an image or related to C3PO, and if you find it, claim to have found the droids we've been looking for and make a big deal and call all the TDs. It can be a figure or a shirt or a hat. Just improvise. Another way of doing this is printing a "Reward" poster and ask people for about the droids, just like if theu knew what you were talkgng about, remind them you are looking for a tall golden droid and a short blue and white R2 unit. They will know what you are talking about for sure.

As said, ask parents to see their identifications and question them about their kids as if they were droids. Same thing can be applied to anything: pets, toys, etc... you can even ask kids about their droids/parents.

A very good hint on who to approach is to look for grown ups with SW shirts. They are the the most probable people to be able to interact with movie dialogs... but kids can do it too.

Also, most people wanting to interact with us, specially after seeing how you questioned other ppl, will act like if they were asking for it. Staring, commenting it, smiling. So be on the look for that.

When I was a *cough cough* TK *cough cough*, I found ppl normally dont expect you to interact that much. They see you as a statue, an attraction, or just as an actor. But ppl do expect Sandtroopers to be "real" to act like ppl and they react much more to us than to TKs. I guess it is beacuase we look much more organic and real... So use that.

As stated, if you dont have an amp, get one. That will pump up your performance.

Also, stay in character unless unavoidable.

Hope that helps!

Saludos.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Juan,

Some great pointers there.

Ive come back to read this today so im ready for my TD's 1st outing on Sunday, im nervous but also cant

wait to put some of the above into action.

Now if you've finished reading this..... Move along, Move along......

:td:

Haha, well good luck for Sunday mate. I'm sure it will all be great, just put your own take on it, make the role your own, dont over sell it but dont undersell it either, remember why you are there is the most important piece of advice I can give.

Nick

Check this out:

post-1761-0-37578500-1360947048_thumb.jp

Also, I cant find a file with a "Wanted by the empire" poster with R2D2 and C3PO in Aurebesh... I know I had it somewhere, but cant find it.

Anyway, it would be really cool if any of our graphic artists could come up with one, but not only wanted by the empire, but wanted by the MEPD. The one I had is all in aurebesh, no english at all. Maybe we could add the detachment logo and all...

And, if we are on that alaready, why not also get the design for a MEPD ticket to give to public, we give it for any reason at all, carrying weapons, being a rebel, parking in a prohibited spot, shooting a blaster, etc etc...

Check this reference, this is the Mexican Garrison version of it.

post-1761-0-06176400-1360947840_thumb.jp

We could have a thread with all this trooping aids to download and print for all MEPD members.

What do you think?

Any volunteers to work on the art?

Saludos.

Juan

Oh man there both awesome wen I was reading your post before last I imagined it like that too with lots of infringements and boxes so you can tick the appropriate ones n such that's cool :)

Is there an English version of both?