*ACTIVATED* TD-10072 / SAND DEVIL / SWAT OFFICER #018

SAND DEVIL

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good ben .....stay strong , dont give up ,and you will get there bro !....it aint an easy road to SWAT by any means ....i have built and weathered both mine and Dave Marsdens (TD5423) SWAT kit and daves was the toughest one to achieve out of the 2 (and rightfully so too!) .....but worth it in the end ! i aint a quitter,and never gave up because SWAT to me is not about the " Super Elite "Badge or.Status ,or for my own ego boost .....but to me its about honouring Mollo and the props guys who created the 76' sandie ,Anthony Forrest,and the other actors who wore the kit on set in Tunisia back in 76' ! my aim was to achieve the original 76' look as near as i could possibly get it.... simulate the gaffa tape,mistakes and bodges look of the 76' sandie .... since i gained SWAT back in 2011, that look has been my personal passion bro .... enjoy the fruits of your labour ben - you done a great job ! .....but most importantly .....enjoy trooping your armor buddy !!!! :salute:

76' ALL THE WAY ! :peace::salute:

looking good ben .....stay strong , dont give up ,and you will get there bro !....it aint an easy road to SWAT by any means ....i have built and weathered both mine and Dave Marsdens (TD5423) SWAT kit and daves was the toughest one to achieve out of the 2 (and rightfully so too!) .....but worth it in the end ! i aint a quitter,and never gave up because SWAT to me is not about the " Super Elite "Badge or.Status ,or for my own ego boost .....but to me its about honouring Mollo and the props guys who created the 76' sandie ,Anthony Forrest,and the other actors who wore the kit on set in Tunisia back in 76' ! my aim was to achieve the original 76' look as near as i could possibly get it.... simulate the gaffa tape,mistakes and bodges look of the 76' sandie .... since i gained SWAT back in 2011, that look has been my personal passion bro .... enjoy the fruits of your labour ben - you done a great job ! .....but most importantly .....enjoy trooping your armor buddy !!!! :salute:

76' ALL THE WAY ! :peace::salute:

Well said! :td::thumbsup:

@ Ben - Now that is dedication! Your decision to step back (even though you didn't have to) and recheck your gear is commendable and is exactly what the SWAT Program was designed for: TDs who take pride in their armor builds and their commitment to producing the best TD suit they possibly can. Hands down.

MEPD Officers already have the most accurate TDs in the entire Legion and for those that want to complete a personal goal of getting as close to screen accurate as they can with their build, this is the program for you. That is why it's always great to troop a bit and look over your gear once in a while. Most likely you'll discover a detail or two that you might have overlooked.

There is no timetable for an Officer to become SWAT, nor is it a competition.

When you do decide to re-submit, I believe your armor will be even better. Your entire rig is impressive, as it is. Believe it or not, after letting the weathering sit for a while, when you touch it up again, the weathering will have more of an authentic 'layered' feel to it. That will only help in getting the armor that much closer to what you are striving for.

I've noticed that trooping numerous events in the past couple of years, my armor was starting to get that worn look from the sun and air. So, although the armor still felt new and strong, the appearance was looking more and more worn and troop used. The detailing was now looking more organic as opposed to painted on (which of course is the base coat! lol)

That's why we here in Command always advised newly deployed Rookies to get out there and enjoy being an MEPD Officer. SWAT will always be there. You will know when you are ready and people will too!

Stay in touch and please keep at it, Ben. You are close to the finish line, Brother! :td::thumbsup:

Echoing what scribbler said :)

• 1 month later...

Rick,

Do we have any updates on the SWAT program sir? I know command was working on some type of panel or new requirements. It's been a few months and I just wanted to touch base and ask. Several of the troops have been asking me since they see I am still in limbo. That is why I posted here instead of PM. I know the command staff is busy and love the new certificates, but wanted to bump the SWAT program. Thank you for your time.

Rick,

Do we have any updates on the SWAT program sir? I know command was working on some type of panel or new requirements. It's been a few months and I just wanted to touch base and ask. Several of the troops have been asking me since they see I am still in limbo. That is why I posted here instead of PM. I know the command staff is busy and love the new certificates, but wanted to bump the SWAT program. Thank you for your time.

As of right now Mike is handling it.

Rick, Thank you for the response. So no pannel or wait time after deployment? Just wanted to make sure I don't cause issues of misunderstanding. I feel like I am siting on the sidelines and letting others pass me up, which would be my fault.

@Al, Thanks for the support brother. I removed the pics so I could give command time to organize the program in December. It was out of respect and allowed me some time to do some little mods while I wait. It also gave me time to review the build with some of the experienced armorers in the MEPD and get feedback. There is a lot of knowledge and experience in the group. As soon as we are all clear what the program looks like and expectations, then I will repost them for review. December was a stupid time to post a request anyway (my ignorance). Christmas is a very hectic time for most of the command, so expecting a review of my build was not fare. They MEPD was also going through command changes that effected the SWAT reviews. Juan is in the same industry as I am and it is just a bad time of year. If I can do it, I am buying YOU a beer next time I get back East. You have always kept pushing me brother and I appreciate it.

@ Marcus, I hear you brother. Interested too. I think command is still solidifying after the new year and putting things together. I respect that and understand. I've learned quickly and recently (school of hard knocks) to step out of the politics and look at things from all sides, not just what I think. I'm sure they will let us know when they are ready.

Ben,

I think your submission here hit a snag, mostly because you pulled the plug on it yourself, and secondly because we are trying to change the SWAT clearance procedure like we said before. Juan's movement from Deployment Officer to XO meant we needed a new DO and it was unfair to shove Mike straight into a number of SWAT clearance threads as well as the Police Officer requests he had to deal with, hence why things have slowed down.

As soon as YOU feel you are ready for SWAT then submit those pics again and we'll keep going, even through this transition phase we never asked anyone to pause their submissions or hold off.

Hopefully the new system will be much easier and streamlined for the Command Staff whilst maintaining the same (if not higher) standards.

Thanks for your patience

Nick

Sorry for the delay man. No wait time or anything like that. Your submission just hit bad timing and we will look at it ASAP and get you set up. Here's a question that I'm going to start asking ALL troopers that submit for SWAT.

Do you feel that you are 100% ready?

Rick,

Thank you for the clarity sir. It is appreciated. I totally understand the time and know what was going on in the real world and in the detachment. Wow, what a great question. Very subjective. To answer, YES. Nothing more I can think of to add, now that I have had several months to look at the details and made several adjustments. But I am very open to any accurate critiques. Especially from you or Mike.

I will repost my pictures and details for review now. Thank you again for the support and acknowledgment sir. Have a great day.

1) Post your personal information in bold:

Name: Ben Anders

Legion ID #: TD-10072

Forum Name: Sand Devil

Garrison: Neon City

Trooper Emulated: Move Along/Road Block Captain (PRE-BREAK), no gaff tape.

2) Post at least two, nice sized, clear photos of you in your armor at various angles. These photos will be used, in part, to determine if your weathering is satisfactory.

Please look at overall equipment details on car port for most recent weathering, below (laid out picture of all equipment):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copy and paste the first three requirements from the S.W.A.T. requirements into the post in bold and note that you have achieved this to the best of your knowledge.

Member must currently be deployed as an MEPD Police Officer to be considered. - YES

Weathering must be appropriate to screen used armor. Too little or too much weathering will not be allowed. - YES, used burnt umber and dark sand technique with three layers and many troops of battle fatigue now.

Pack, pauldron, and weapon combinations must match a specific trooper a seen on screen. - YES, took pauldron to leather repair shop to add a more 'fluffy' look due to questions I received the first time around. Feel the new pauldron is much more accurate than the first. E-11 for this trooper . Move Along Captain pack (Dirty Boy parts, Crashman radio face, and Gordon's cistern)

3) Post a close up photo of each major area and/or item listed in the S.W.A.T. requirements while continuing to copy and paste the requirements they relate to above the photo in bold.

Pauldrons must be of the accurate “puffy” variety. Older style/flat and brightly/off color pauldrons are not allowed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Packs must have the appropriate details for the specific trooper which is being referenced.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WIRE ADDED:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SOUND SYSTEM:

Posted Image

Pouches must be of the correct construction, color, and materials as reference trooper.

MP-40 side pouches, leather and shoulder is canvas painted black with medical pouch in center of left side (correct rounded tips):

Posted Image

4) You may post multiple requirements met with the same photo... like so...

Rubber gloves.

Latex or silicone (i.e., “soft”) hand plates.

Posted Image

Rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates: a total of six rivets with three on the ab and three on the kidney plate, equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.

Posted Image

One snap on the top right hand side oft he ab plate: back of male side of snap should show on outside of ab plate.

Posted Image

Visible fasteners under crotch area. Two (or 3) male snaps in the back and one split rivet or brad in the front. (not required to be functional)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Boots must be screen accurate in color and make; they cannot have a seam on the front.

Posted Image

FXhelmets, MRCE and/or ANHv2 helmets are not allowed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hasbro blasters are not allowed, even conversions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

5) Post at least one "action" image. This photo should be taken of you from the waist up on a blank, non-colored wall (i.e., such as white, beige, grey, etc.) This photo should be taken and available in high-resolution for the deployment photo.

Posted Image

NOTE: There is no need to repost photos of details which were needed for Police Officer deployment. Please — simply ease of reading posts — make sure there is a "space" between each bolded statement and each image.

Signing off for a few days to let the group review and not respond until I get the DO's opinion. Too anxious and nervous....Thank you to all of you who have pushed me. I appreciate all the words of encouragement. This is such a great detachment. So much talent and great friends. Have a wonderful day.

@Daniel, Thank you sir, from a SWAT member that is appreciated. It was a lot of work to fix.

Ok, had to give props:

@Vince, Don't you dare let anyone say you are a cadet brother. You called it. I made the cadet mistake and just fixed. Thank you for the catch man. Wow, I forgot what the inside of seed trays looked like. Nothing like taking them off and doing it all again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey Ben,

Some real nice work here mate.

IMO, if I may, your radar on the motor tube is slightly to high. It needs to be lowered so that about an inch of it is covering the bottom of the tube (hope that makes sense!). Look here:

http://www.looksirdroids.com/hd_caps/pages/sandtrooper_hd_047.htm

Love the weathering on your bp! Is that actual sand?