*ACTIVATED* TD-10072 / SAND DEVIL / SWAT OFFICER #018

SAND DEVIL

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Brad, Yes is it actual sand. One of the props from the Nevada desert. Same on my armor. And IMO you were correct sir. Thanks for the call out. Modifications below.

@ Pete, Burn Umber paint, watered down oil, Nevada sand (redish), three layers.

Reference Shot:

Posted Image

After Mod:

Posted Image

@ Pete, Burn Umber paint, watered down oil, Nevada sand (redish), three layers.

I like sand... and if you can't get "REAL" Tunisian sand, then red Nevada sand is not a bad substitute!!!

Aloha, Ben!

Thanks so much for your patience and commitment during the application process for SWAT OFFICER consideration. I'm glad that you took the time to re-evaluate your gear and make the modifications that you felt were needed. For you to return after taking some time off shows that you are confident to continue. Outstanding! :td::thumbsup:

As all of our candidates are told, this will be an ongoing process, so please be patient as I give your armor / gear a full inspection and review. Some details may definitely be missed and re-checked, but I will try to catch them on every pass given it until you are cleared and ready to join the Special Weapons & Tactics Team, Brother!

Let's begin...

MEPD SWAT OFFICER: APPLICATION REVIEW (PART 1)

Name: Ben Anders

Legion ID #: TD-10072

Forum Name: SAND DEVIL

Garrison: Neon City

** ANH SANDTROOPER SELECTED **: ROADBLOCK CAPTAIN / "MOVE ALONG" TROOPER

I.) HELMET:

a.) Green Lenses -- CHECK

b.) Paint Color on Traps / Tears -- CHECK

c.) Number Of Teeth -- (4) Correct for Version Selected: CHECK

d.) Mic Tips -- CHECK

e.) Vocoder Color (Black) -- CHECK

f.) Tube Stripes -- CHECK

g.) Rank Bar -- (SEE COMMENTS)

h.) Brow -- CHECK

i.) Side Screws (Ears): CHECK

j.) Weathering: (SEE COMMENTS)

** Additional Comments --

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

The helmet looks great, Ben! The details show that you've definitely been taking notes on your build.

I need to see a pic of the right side of your helmet.

The only thing that really stands out , and it could just be the lighting, is that the weathering looks a bit light. You may need to go back to it and darken. (?) We'll leave this as pending while we get more close up pics and examples.

Nice Bucket, nonetheless! :yes:

B.) EXECUTIVE OFFICER: (Comments Pending)

C.) COMMANDING OFFICER: (Comments Pending)

II.) Armor / Suit Details:

a.) Canvas Straps -- CHECK

b.) Neck Seal -- CHECK

c.) Black Undersuit -- CHECK

d.) Shoulder Bells -- CHECK

e.) Biceps -- CHECK

f.) Forearms -- CHECK

g.) Pauldron -- (SEE COMMENTS)

h.) Chest / Back Plate -- CHECK

I.) Kidney / Butt Plate -- CHECK

j.) Ab Plate / Side Rivets / Cod -- CHECK

k.) Thighs -- CHECK

l.) Shins / Calves -- CHECK

m.) Sniper Plate -- CHECK

n.) Boots -- CHECK

o.) Gloves -- CHECK

p.) Hand Plates / Guards -- CHECK

q.) Ammo Belt (Waist) w/ correct Angled Edge -- CHECK

r.) Ammo Belt (Right Knee) -- CHECK

s.) Canvas Belt -- CHECK

t.) Pouches -- (2) MP-38/40 Leather Pouch / (1) MP-38/40 Canvas Pouch-- CHECK

u.) Weathering -- (SEE COMMENTS)

v.) Crotch Snaps -- CHECK

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

As noted in the HELMET section, the weathering does look like it might need some rework. The pauldron weathering could use some more 'beating up' too. Play around with the 'circle' detail on the surface as well. A bit light and needs to be a bit more prominent. This one is always tricky because we all tend to go too light or too dark. I'm confident that you'll find the happy middle. The chest pattern MAY need some work. But not much. I'll let you know on the next pass.

Again, we'll leave this as pending while we get more close up pics and examples. :thumbsup:

** Great work on modifying the cover strips. They look more accurate. Very nice!

B.) EXECUTIVE OFFICER:(Comments Pending)

III.) BACKPACK: VERSION # 3 ("Move Along")

a.) Details -- (See Comments)

b..) Weathering -- CHECK

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

1.) Nice rework of the shotgun shells placement. Little details like that can get the best of us every time. Great!

2.) No visible decals on the Radio face. Need to see new pics showing the change.

3.) I was going to mention the placement of the radar dish but saw your updated mod later in the thread. Good work!

** Excellent custom sound system setup. :thumbsup:

Overall, a NICE looking pack! (DB's work is always an impressive sight!)

IV.) WEAPON: E-11

a.) Details -- CHECK

b..) Weathering -- CHECK

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

VERY nice looking weapon. D-ring visible and overall look is spot on. Fantastic display stand too, by the way! :td::yes:

** CHECKED AND CLEARED **

**MORE REVIEWS/COMMENTS COMING (X.O. and C.O.)

@ Pete, yep the sand adds a cool touch. Mine isn't as cool as yours though. Road trip.....?

@ Rick, Thank you sir, especially for all the encouragement. Means a lot. I know you have a ton going on.

@ Mike, I understand and appreciate you taking the to look it over and give the needed feedback. Sometimes you are too close to it to be objective, so thank you. I have time, so no rush, glad to be on the move and started. Some pretty smart people said this was a journey. Little did I know how right they are. I will update all the fixes in a few minutes, I have to transfer to Photobucket to upload them.

Mike,

For the record, I don't expect responses as fast as I am doing repairs. I just don't want to sit on anything and miss something. I get to go out of town on a troop this weekend and won't be able to do anything on my build. The pictures are bleaching out my overall weathering. I will see what I can do to get pictures that show the weathering better. Thank you again sir.

Updates on progress sir:

g.) Rank Bar -- (SEE COMMENTS)

I need to see a pic of the right side of your helmet.

The only thing that really stands out , and it could just be the lighting, is that the weathering looks a bit light. You may need to go back to it and darken. (?) We'll leave this as pending while we get more close up pics and examples.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

g.) Pauldron -- (SEE COMMENTS)

As noted in the HELMET section, the weathering does look like it might need some rework. The pauldron weathering could use some more 'beating up' too. Play around with the 'circle' detail on the surface as well. A bit light and needs to be a bit more prominent. This one is always tricky because we all tend to go too light or too dark. I'm confident that you'll find the happy middle. The chest pattern MAY need some work. But not much. I'll let you know on the next pass.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a.) Details -- (See Comments)

2.) No visible decals on the Radio face. Need to see new pics showing the change.

1. Painted completely over radio decals (sorry Robert - they were cool, I cried while doing it, lol):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vince, If you look at the picture above it is at the top of the radio. The bottom is flush with the bottom seed tray. I think it is the angle of the pictures? The parts are accurate, so if it was moved down, it would fall below the radar and seed tray.

@ Ben - Almost there. Another full review later today...

@ Vince - Great eye on the pack observations, My Friend!

It is a minor detail though. I'm sure that during filming the TDs walking around were subject to being bumped, parts fixed on the fly as well as packs being set down. Any one of these factors would cause slight movement in regards to exact placement of parts. Especially on the pack. Pics / screen captures show different variants and angles as well.

This detail won't affect the review for either SWAT candidates or Police Officer candidates. It's fine. :td::thumbsup:

As for the stripe count, the space for the "13/16" configuration is tricky because of the different helmet types (AP, ATA, RS, TM, etc) But, it is definitely an easy fix. :td:

The XO and CO will have final say, though. :yes:

Hi, Ben!

Thanks for starting on the mod requests! Looks like you didn't waste any time! :td::thumbsup:

Let's continue...

MEPD SWAT OFFICER: APPLICATION REVIEW (PART 2)

Name: Ben Anders

Legion ID #: TD-10072

Forum Name: SAND DEVIL

Garrison: Neon City

** ANH SANDTROOPER SELECTED **: ROADBLOCK CAPTAIN / "MOVE ALONG" TROOPER

I.) HELMET:

a.) Green Lenses -- CHECK

b.) Paint Color on Traps / Tears -- CHECK

c.) Number Of Teeth -- (4) Correct for Version Selected: CHECK

d.) Mic Tips -- CHECK

e.) Vocoder Color (Black) -- CHECK

f.) Tube Stripes -- COMMENTS PENDING

g.) Rank Bar -- CHECK

h.) Brow -- CHECK

i.) Side Screws (Ears): CHECK

j.) Weathering: COMMENTS PENDING

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

Just waiting on weathering rework and final approval on tube stripes. You are basically finished here. Almost there, Brother! :td::yes:

II.) Armor / Suit Details:

a.) Canvas Straps -- CHECK

b.) Neck Seal -- CHECK

c.) Black Undersuit -- CHECK

d.) Shoulder Bells -- CHECK

e.) Biceps -- CHECK

f.) Forearms -- CHECK

g.) Pauldron -- CHECK

h.) Chest / Back Plate -- CHECK

I.) Kidney / Butt Plate -- CHECK

j.) Ab Plate / Side Rivets / Cod -- CHECK

k.) Thighs -- CHECK

l.) Shins / Calves -- CHECK

m.) Sniper Plate -- CHECK

n.) Boots -- CHECK

o.) Gloves -- CHECK

p.) Hand Plates / Guards -- CHECK

q.) Ammo Belt (Waist) w/ correct Angled Edge -- CHECK

r.) Ammo Belt (Right Knee) -- CHECK

s.) Canvas Belt -- CHECK

t.) Pouches -- (2) MP-38/40 Leather Pouch / (1) MP-38/40 Canvas Pouch-- CHECK

u.) Weathering -- (SEE COMMENTS)

v.) Crotch Snaps -- CHECK

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

Just waiting on weathering rework. Almost finished, Ben! Great work! :td::thumbsup:

B.) EXECUTIVE OFFICER:(Comments Pending)

III.) BACKPACK: VERSION # 3 ("Move Along")

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

IV.) WEAPON: E-11

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

**MORE REVIEWS/COMMENTS COMING (X.O. and C.O.)

Mike,

Thank you for the update on the review sir.

On the screen shots I am unable to tell how many stripes there are. I also reviewed all other Move Along submissions from last year and found all have different counts. I was also not able to find anything in the CRLs, except that they are different on the left and right (no counts). To try and be as accurate as I can, I went with the Christies Bucket (13 on the left and 16 on the right). I also completely removed my prior sticker stripes and went with hand painting them back on. I think it is more true and matches the hand painting flaws on the ears and tears. As you stated prior, different armor makers make the tube lengths different. It was difficult to get the 16 to fit. Glad I changed from stickers to paint though.

A.) DEPLOYMENT OFFICER:

Just waiting on final approval on tube stripes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Greetings Ben...

because of the tube stripes....looks like you have too little space for the tube stripes, especially at the left side (from the perspective of the helmet wearer) :mellow:

At the left side it looks a little bruised (with little help by Ben...it means "squashed" ...Lol...I and my english vocabulary :P )...is the cause of the helmet shape?..or the tube stripes are too big?!?!

Original--->>

http://www.starwarsh...toct05/ma06.jpg

Ben's helmet--->>

http://i1134.photobu...zps263c0f2d.jpg

I know you need many space for the 16 stripes at the left side...is it possible that you can fix it?!?!

Cheers....

Daniel, (mein freund)

Thanks for the chat on this last night. Yes it is too small of a tube for the 16 stripes. The middle ones are the right size, but had to squish the last few in. Because of the bucket type I can't have the right thickness and 16. I think you were right, I will try to reshape the front ones and make a little thinner. We will see how it works and looks. I think I will drive to Mike and show him the armor weathering in person tomorrow. Road trip to California...

Thanks again brother. Have a good day.

Daniel, (mein freund)

Thanks for the chat on this last night. Yes it is too small of a tube for the 16 stripes. The middle ones are the right size, but had to squish the last few in. Because of the bucket type I can't have the right thickness and 16. I think you were right, I will try to reshape the front ones and make a little thinner. We will see how it works and looks. I think I will drive to Mike and show him the armor weathering in person tomorrow. Road trip to California...

Thanks again brother. Have a good day.

Oh you're welcome, dude...it was also for me a pleasure to chat with you...every time again :thumbsup:

Because of the stripes...like I wrote, try it to draw the stripes with the pencil before the paint...and maybe also try to make thinner the middle stripes...if it possible...thereby fits the overall picture.

I feel you on the tube stripes. My RS Lid is huge compared to some models and I had a devil of a time getting the 16 on the left side.

I too am making the "Move Along" trooper. Weathering is the hardest part for me, I either get it too dark or too light. My current weathering needs a bit more on the arms and legs and a bit less on the chest I think. So hard to find that happy medium.

Your rig looks great, and helps people like me to see what we need to work on. Keep up the good work!

@ Frank, Thank you brother. Those notes keep me going. Everyone needs a push, so thanks.

Update:

OK, re-did, re-did stripes again. I think it looks much better and more uniform, but this trooper's opinion is not important for approval, so what do you think I need to change Boss (Mike).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image