Epoxy help.

Arppegio

Hi all. Need some help identifying the poxy that TK409 uses on his bucket. In this case it's his Boba Fett bucket. He mentions a two part epoxy but not the specific name or brand.

http://www.tk409.com/images/fett/helmet/visor.jpg

Anyone know which kind he's talking about or can recommend one? I don't want to pick out the wrong type and have some sort of health hazard happen. With my luck I could get led poisoning from the sun. I may sound like I'm exaggerating but I've managed to sprain my ankle while sleeping so...yeah.

Yep, I'm completing my RT-Mod helmet which is going to be used for my Sandy costume.

The reason I want to use the Epoxy is because of the detailing I'm going to be doing to the interior of the bucket. Originally I was going to use a type of insulation that was in my ebay bought DP 95 Boba Fett helmet. It's a gray firm foam material which I have not been able to locate in auto stores or the Home Depot near me although the guy I bought it from said it was in Home Depot.

Anyway, I was planning on wrapping my lenses around this foam to secure it to the eye sockets. Works great too, but since I kept adjusting it the adhesive isn't as "fresh" as it could be. So instead, I want to try using the epoxy to hold it in place and then using the foam to reinforce/decorate. Once it's done, it would look sort of like the helmet interior you see in the Visual Dictionary.

As for using hot glue, I use that in my current FX bucket but I was reading on some guys site how his lenses popped out during a hot day of trooping down in Florida. Here in Maryland it gets hotter than crotch since it's so humid during the summer so I want to move away from the glue. I'm planning on deputing my Sandy costume at Otakon (an anime convention) which will be in August. I'd like to go to Farpoint but I don't think I'll have things finished by then.

Oh hold on. You said "CA glue". How easy is that to work with? Can you remove the lenses easily if you need to? How strong is the hold? Will it damage the helmet where it's connected to if you try to pull the lenses out?

Yep, I'm completing my RT-Mod helmet which is going to be used for my Sandy costume.

The reason I want to use the Epoxy is because of the detailing I'm going to be doing to the interior of the bucket. Originally I was going to use a type of insulation that was in my ebay bought DP 95 Boba Fett helmet. It's a gray firm foam material which I have not been able to locate in auto stores or the Home Depot near me although the guy I bought it from said it was in Home Depot.

Anyway, I was planning on wrapping my lenses around this foam to secure it to the eye sockets. Works great too, but since I kept adjusting it the adhesive isn't as "fresh" as it could be. So instead, I want to try using the epoxy to hold it in place and then using the foam to reinforce/decorate. Once it's done, it would look sort of like the helmet interior you see in the Visual Dictionary.

As for using hot glue, I use that in my current FX bucket but I was reading on some guys site how his lenses popped out during a hot day of trooping down in Florida. Here in Maryland it gets hotter than crotch since it's so humid during the summer so I want to move away from the glue. I'm planning on deputing my Sandy costume at Otakon (an anime convention) which will be in August. I'd like to go to Farpoint but I don't think I'll have things finished by then.

"PM" Tuskentrooper. He is the guy that "his lenses popped out...." I am not sure what he used for his lenses though. Good luck, bro

I used the industrial strength hot glue for mine (no popping yet)... if you go the hot glue route, be sure to sand the interior edges of the plastic, hot glue does need something to grip onto.... CA Glue would probably create fogging and crackled issues - depending on the type of lense material being used... awfully permenant. I salute Roman Imperial for having the gumpshon to use it...

For all my general armor epoxy needs, I've looked no further than the mighty Devon Plastic Welder. The stuff is like gold!!!

To attach my flat green lenses, I just used a lot of hot glue.

For all my general armor epoxy needs, I've looked no further than the mighty Devon Plastic Welder. The stuff is like gold!!!

Ya know that sounds like a good idea. Maybe the next time I do that I will give that a try.

Katt

I have trooped in Maryland and Florida, and had no problem with the heat. At least the glue had no trouble

Yeah I used that for putting my armor itself together rather than the ABS glue. I just wanted to put that bad boy on right away, lol.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

After also getting a response from TK409, and wandering the isles of Home Depot (mostly because I had forgotten what else I needed to get there) I ended up buying a putty that's made for repairing plastics such as PVC and ABS that I found near the paint supply section. TK409 said that he got his from the plumbing section but wasn't sure on the brand. After comparing the two types I found, I decided to go with the one from the paint section. It's called Quickplatsik or something.

I'll try to post a pic when I can. I'm trying to find a good place to start a website for myself to show what I've got/done. The putty itself is pretty nice. Strong bond and easy to work with. Stinks like **** when first applying it but that's gone away now that it's hardened. At least I think it has. I painted the interior of my helmet with some enamel paint so it still has that smell in it that could mask any other smell, lol.