SDS Armor

DirtyBoy

So there is not alot of information on this stuff. It looks pretty accurate to me but not listed on FISD as a reliable source.

Everytime I try to conversate with them, it gets to a certain point and then the communication stops (on their end) I know they are not "technically" allowed to ship within the US stemming from the lawsuit.

What are the opinions on this?

First off, the obvious... you know this is who Lucas sued; right?

Now, your question, it's pretty accurate from what I've seen. I think the issue is CAN he be trusted. Anyone that makes claims like he made and just doesn't "give up" — even for the sake of peace — has to be questioned I think.

That being said, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt... usually long after I shouldn't. :P

AND, I'd love to see / own a set of his armor.

So... if you make head way let me know for sure.

I'm also very interested to see what other opinions are posted on here for sure.

I may eat some of the things I said here, I realize, but that's where I am in my opinion now.

First off, the obvious... you know this is who Lucas sued; right?

yes, from what I know, he (Ainsworth) lost the US lawsuit against him but won the UK....meaning hes not allowed to sell to the US but he can sell overseas.

I know he didnt give up but maybe it was the "im not going to let LFL win".

I don't know...

For what is accepted knowledge on the prop community, his claims are not 100% true, and he does not produces his armor from the so called original moulds.

It is true though that he is the original one to thermo formed the armor... but not the sculptor or the armorer. As far as I remember.

So...

My opinion is that, although it would be awesome to own an armor made by the same guy who made them back in 76, this is not even near to owning a first (original) or even second generation armor like TE2. And adding that it is my understanding that he charges a fortune for them, I would say I rather have a TE2, TM or, for that matter, a Gino.

But hey, thats me.

If anyone has the chance and the money to get one, it would be without a doubt a great addition to any collection.

:)

Saludos.

I don't know...

For what is accepted knowledge on the prop community, his claims are not 100% true, and he does not produces his armor from the so called original moulds.

It is true though that he is the original one to thermo formed the armor... but not the sculptor or the armorer. As far as I remember.

So...

My opinion is that, although it would be awesome to own an armor made by the same guy who made them back in 76, this is not even near to owning a first (original) or even second generation armor like TE2. And adding that it is my understanding that he charges a fortune for them, I would say I rather have a TE2, TM or, for that matter, a Gino.

But hey, thats me.

If anyone has the chance and the money to get one, it would be without a doubt a great addition to any collection.

:)

Saludos.

Agreed....it just seems that there is no one who owns a set or at least that I can find. I believe he sells to the US through other people but even that is hard to figure out and there would never be an official "yes" from them because of the lawsuit.

The cost that is on the main website is way out of control. that also may be a way to separate those sales from the secondary sales through venues like ebay. he marks his website stuff way up and relies on the name to get people there. then he takes and sells via ebay or whatever through another company or ebay name.

the whole thing is really weird and I know hes not relying on the UK business alone....especially when other options exist

Agreed....it just seems that there is no one who owns a set or at least that I can find. I believe he sells to the US through other people but even that is hard to figure out and there would never be an official "yes" from them because of the lawsuit.

The cost that is on the main website is way out of control. that also may be a way to separate those sales from the secondary sales through venues like ebay. he marks his website stuff way up and relies on the name to get people there. then he takes and sells via ebay or whatever through another company or ebay name.

the whole thing is really weird and I know hes not relying on the UK business alone....especially when other options exist

Wow... didnt know that.

Sounds like a mafia thing... LOL.

And also, sounds illegal. Cause I guess it is.

I have read about ppl buying or owning SDS armor. But cant remember in which forum.

Probably one of those eternal topics on armor makers over the FISD.

If I ever get the money and time to spend on finding out who to buy an SDS from, I would go right away and sign up for a TM armor.

;)

LOL...

Saludos.

I guess the question is what advantage to you perceive his product has over the competition? Is it the best quality? Most accurate? Best price?

Even if he was OK on the sales side, I'd ask what the advantage is. For instance ATA is cheaper than TE2 but TE2 has better definition. AP is excellent but T/MC is $100 less a set (not sure how they look side by side though). TM is beautiful, hyper accurate armor but the tradeoff is high cost and isn't made in quantity.

So...why buy from SDS?

True....definitely would not make sense to buy from SDS directly due to such a high price. However, if it could be found through an unnamed secondary source....it might make sence. SDS appears to offer replacement pieces as well and according to the website it's a fast turnaround time....at least in the UK.

Lots of choices for the troops to make :)

I think this may turn into a very interesting topic.

Customer service from SDS is a NIGHTMARE. I had friend order stuff from them and it took them many months to fill the order (if it was even filled at all). It was the usual “It’s on the way” bad tracking number thing, and when the package arrived it had half of what was supposed to be there, and what was included was poor quality – with no note or anything saying where or when the second half of the order was.

It took another person on the forums to ask someone at SDS where the shipment was, they apologized, said it was on the way, etc. To date, I don’t think my friend was satisfied or has received everything based on what they ordered off the website, and it took many months of frustrating non answered e-mails and phone calls to resolve.

I’ve also read Brian Muir’s book (the actual guy who sculpted the original TK armor, Vader and other characters) and he recounts his experience with AA in court during the trial, and AA sounds like such a sleeze ball. AA has tried to take credit for other artists work in the past.

Personally, I wouldn’t give them my money. There are much more reliable armor makers that deserves our money. It’s not just the product, but the service, quality and support that you end up paying for.

Hey Guys,

I use to own SDS armor and a Stunt helmet - Both are not screen accurate! He basicly took a ROTJ set of armor and reworked it. I own TM armor now - while it's an original scuplt - it probably is the close to screen accurate in terms of the details being correct. Back in the day I took a bunch of photos for TM comparing the new armor I purchased from him to my old SDS armor - if you guys are interested I could post those photos for you to see.

Jack :P

That would be sweet bro....I'm really curious

I remember asking them(SDS) once about their blaster replicas.The contact said (quote) "We ship to canada"(unquote),LOL.I guess you'd need a contact/friend up there.But as i have seen the elephant,so-to-speak, i'm sticking with US based sources.

I remember asking them(SDS) once about their blaster replicas.The contact said (quote) "We ship to canada"(unquote),LOL.I guess you'd need a contact/friend up there.But as i have seen the elephant,so-to-speak, i'm sticking with US based sources.

Agreed.....i think their (SDS) site appears to be a we dont really care what you think type of mentality....im just curious who the ebay sellers would be and if they would have the same approach :)

This first post is my old SDS armor. Here are some of the problems with it:

1)The expensive Stunt helmet - opening on the bottom was too large. Does not undercut enough

2)Gear on rear back center is even with "11" it should be lower - see photo of Sds armor rear on left TM on right

3)Strapping system for SDS is all velcro - ever time you move the velcro tears and comes undone

4) Abdomin plate - underneath the 4 in a row buttons - the slot is not present in the raised part that these buttons attach to on the abdomin plate. I added the buttons on the side of the AB plate - they were not included on SDS armor

5)arm armor - the pieces just overlap - they should meet evenly and have a piece of plastic covering the seam

6)Shoulder ribbs were not correct

7)Rear belt cylinder has a plastic clip for connection to the belt - it should have metal straps like the TM version - see comparison photos

8)Belt comes all plastic - there is an upgrade for a leather belt which is still not correct - in ANH the belt is a cloth. Also SDS does not include a Bandolier - the bandolier you see in my photos is purchased from another vendor - and attached with rivets by me - TM has a bandolier riveted to his cloth belt like ANH

9)SDS hand armor is to rounded - see photo with SDS (attached to gloves) TM in the center

10)The line above the center abdomin button box does not go all the way up - ROTJ style ANH armor - this detail line goes up almost to the top of the armor plate

11)The outside upper leg armor does not make the propper downward cuts - See Post below of my TM armor for the correct angle these are suppost to be for ANH

13)The Details in SDS armor are not very crisp - they are soft probably because it was a recast

14)On the upper leg armor - the center strip goes all the way to the bottom - in correct for ANH - it should stop before the "rimmed" lower edge - you should see the seam of the 2 peices of armor meeting. Also SDS's lower "rim" edge is flattened in the front - it should be rounded - obviously recast from overlapping ROTJ armor

15)Rear of lower and upper leggs overlap with a velcro closure - not correct for ANH

Sorry for any misspellings above. In the next post I'll put my TM armor to compare.

jack :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

OK - This is my TM Armor - I consider it the most ANH accurate armor. I appologies for the hand armor in the full body pictures - that is SDS - when I first recieved the armor I wanted to get some photos quick and did not take the time to attach my TM had plates to the gloves and just used the SDS gloves for those pictures.

jack :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice armor Jack.....i noticed you are not affiliated with a garrison. yu should be trooping bro :)

Very nice indeed!

Great comparison pics too... thanks for posting them! :duim: